Ret Paladin Gear Selection

Greetings

I am looking for a guide or spreadsheet or anything that can help me select new gear upgrades based on what I am currently using. I have been trying to use rawr now for several weeks.. however It seems pretty bugged still. Every new update it completely changes which gear is better. I also believe it wasn't taking into account the fact that I was way over hit cap in selecting upgrade options for me.

I am not looking for guidance as to what stats are better for me etc.. I am well aware of that.. but something similar to rawr that is hopefully not quite so bugged so If an item drops while I am in a raid I can quickly pop it up and see how big of an upgrade/downgrade it is for me without wasting time doing math

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Ret Paladin Gear Selection

i use ratingbuster if you are looking for an in game mod.

Quote Originally Posted by solaste
    i use ratingbuster if you are looking for an in game mod.
    Ill give it a try thanks

either in game or out of game suggestions are welcome.. as long as it is something I can quickly alt tab and check

maxdps.com, but beware I hear that it may still be running off some old numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by solaste
    maxdps.com, but beware I hear that it may still be running off some old numbers.
    thanks for the suggestion.. I have also found that site though to be less then accurate.

you could try redcape´s spreadsheet, it´s pretty much up to date and based on the ongoing discussion on ej.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse212
    you could try redcape´s spreadsheet, it´s pretty much up to date and based on the ongoing discussion on ej.
    Agreed, Redcape's spreadsheet is very good in my opinion, and takes into account some set bonuses plus a few other bonuses.

www.codeplex.com/rawr

^ fun tool.

Mostly accurate. Still requires a brain and some commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    www.codeplex.com/rawr

^ fun tool.

Mostly accurate. Still requires a brain and some commitment.
    Rawr is good, though as far as I know it hasn't been updated as recently as the spreadsheet above. But by all means, don't stop using it, it is a very good tool which doesnt require nearly as much effort to input your character's gear, talents, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Macanam
    Rawr is good, though as far as I know it hasn't been updated as recently as the spreadsheet above. But by all means, don't stop using it, it is a very good tool which doesnt require nearly as much effort to input your character's gear, talents, etc.
    v 2.1.4 just came out and it is excellent. Redcape has the best pure numbers and that thread also points you directly to another useful tool on the EJ site...name escapes me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius
    v 2.1.4 just came out and it is excellent
    Ah, wasn't aware of that, Rawr ftw really.

v 2.1.4 just came out and it is excellent. Redcape has the best pure numbers and that thread also points you directly to another useful tool on the EJ site...name escapes me at the moment.
    I mean I really do like rawr.. my main issue is at each update it completely changes which gear is now "The best" for me. Like before I had 5 or 6 pieces that were considered best in slot.. now with the update they aren't. So I know the gear itself didn't change so something about rawrs calculations did. And for the last 3 updates this has happened.

Some of the options before were fairly obvious that it wasn't upgrade.. or that it wasn't calculating hit correctly.
    I just have a hard time believing something that seems to change every week when nothing in game has actually changed.

Thanks for all the suggestions though I will certainly have a look at them all

Yes. 2.1.4 is flippin' gangster status.

Quote Originally Posted by dustbunny
    I mean I really do like rawr.. my main issue is at each update it completely changes which gear is now "The best" for me. Like before I had 5 or 6 pieces that were considered best in slot.. now with the update they aren't. So I know the gear itself didn't change so something about rawrs calculations did. And for the last 3 updates this has happened.

Some of the options before were fairly obvious that it wasn't upgrade.. or that it wasn't calculating hit correctly.
    I just have a hard time believing something that seems to change every week when nothing in game has actually changed.

Thanks for all the suggestions though I will certainly have a look at them all
    Rawr will do that because that is the point of the updates, to give more accurate calculations so that it gives the actual best items.

As for the hit calculation, Ret paladins don't actually need the full 9% hit due to some ghost hit. Check the EJ thread for more information on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Macanam
    Rawr will do that because that is the point of the updates, to give more accurate calculations so that it gives the actual best items.

As for the hit calculation, Ret paladins don't actually need the full 9% hit due to some ghost hit. Check the EJ thread for more information on that one.
    Eh, even EJ hasn't come to a specific conclusion regarding the actual ghost hit for each ret (it seems to vary).

@dustbunny
    Keep in mind the even w/out changing versions, rawr will update which gear is "best" for you if you upgrade a piece of loot and that upgrade caused you to lose an important stat like hit or expertise. Rawr 2.1.4 didn't change much if anything for my upgrade list (I have a bunch of naxx 25 gear already, but some items did change positions).