New to healing instances.

about a few days ago i decided to start playing my druid with the hopes that i would be able to spec resto and use him for pve. I leveled him to 71 and attempted to do Nex. I was grouped up with 2 enh shams, 2 dk's, and struggled to keep my group alive with some of the more basic pulls.

here is my current spec: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZZfVIubugiuVhst

being new to healing i am unsure if it was my healing strategy, if my spec was wrong, or if there was just too much of an agro problem going on.

i did attempt to keep my tank fully hot'd, but the shams were pulling a lot of their own agro as well. Also, i ran into a mana problem with some of the pulls and one of the bosses so i figured that i'm probably over healing. I did not use my healing touch that often, i tried to utilize lifebloom, regrowth, rejuv, and swiftmend as much as possible but it obviously did not work out.

i currently have just a little over 9k mana, and i did use innervate whenever it was up.

what i'm asking for is if any healers have some helpful advice to a new healer, and what exactly my problem was.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: New to healing instances.

you might have better luck finding help on the Druid forum, here or on the official WoW forums. I would bet there are stickied posts with information for you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaillus
    you might have better luck finding help on the Druid forum, here or on the official WoW forums. I would bet there are stickied posts with information for you. Good luck!
    If your going to be a jerk just dont post.
    How much +healing do you have biz?
    Whats your spell cycle?

It could also be that you had a bad group too. Your main priority is to heal the tank, if everyone is taking damage its a disfunctional group.

And healing touch isnt as mana efficient as other spells, remember that.
    You regenerate mana faster if you havnt been casting for a certain amount of time, i recommend hotting everyone, waiting till they need another hot, cast regrowth hot again, and wait.. etc, it gives time for you mana to regenerate
    "Nerf rock, Paper's fine." - Scissors

Deleted

I'm not a druid, so I don't really know.. But I've heared that you should always try to keep up 3 lifeblooms on the tank, and a reju(?).

And if the shamans took aggro all the time, it's not your fault really. Try and go another instance (with perhaps a better group). You'll learn to heal pretty fast I think

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidis
    Whats your spell cycle?

It could also be that you had a bad group too. Your main priority is to heal the tank, if everyone is taking damage its a disfunctional group.

You regenerate mana faster if you havnt been casting for a certain amount of time, i recommend hotting everyone, waiting till they need another hot, cast regrowth hot again, and wait.. etc, it gives time for you mana to regenerate
    my spell cycle is typically as follows: lifeblood x 3, rejuv, and then regrowth if needed. If their hp falls like below 70% ill do a swiftmend.

my sp right now is roughly about 800 which is relatively low because i'm only wearing beginning northrend gear (i went out there at 68 and respeced from feral)

do you know if there is still a 5 sec rule before full mana regen kicks back in, or was that changed at some point?

also, do you think i should use lower lvl healing touches rather than regrowth, or is that not really favorable?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaillus

I was thinking about that, but this is more of a general healing question when running an instance so it fits better into here.

plus im at work and dont have the time to rumage through threads atm.

Deleted

do you know if there is still a 5 sec rule before full mana regen kicks back in, or was that changed at some point?
    It is still the same, your full manaregen starts five seconds after you cast a manaconsuming spell, so let's say omen of clarity procs, your next spell will not consume any mana thus not triggering the 5SR.

also, do you think i should use lower lvl healing touches rather than regrowth, or is that not really favorable?
    It is now better to cast your max rank heals, blizzard changed it so that a spell costs a certain percentage of your base mana (the amount of mana you have without any gear/buffs on) so a rank 1 healing touch will cost the same mana as a rank 10 healing touch.

I hope I clarified it for you.

Hi there,

Here's some tips :

(note this focus is on rolling HoTs)

1) take out 2/2 emp touch + 2/2 imp tranq + 4/5 naturalist (resto tree)

you have 8 points free now

2) dump them into 5/5 genesis + 3/3 moonglow (balance)

you will see your mana tad a bit managable now

3) get some glyphs : glyph of reju + glyph of regro

you will feel more difference now in your healing with the 3 points above

lastly :

you are right about HT - make that for a macro combo with NS save it for @#$@#$@# situations

just roll LB, RJ, RG + SWM on MT to keep him up

remember now your SWM does not eat up the ticks on RG with the glyph

roll the ocassional LB + RJ on the rest of the team

if they're dying - tell them to stop being the tank and steal aggro

depending on the party composition and/or mobtype - tell them to stack up on tank or yourself (if caster group) --> abuse WG accordingly

LB - lifebloom
    RJ - rejuvenation
    SWM - swiftmend
    WG - wildgrowth

an mediocre player with mediocre gear like myself will see my mana pool hardly dropply below 60-55% most of the times

with innervate : is it almost impossible to go OOM before the CD is up

make a macro for barkskin + swiftmend

if you're a tauren - stomp in treeform if you get aggro + throw a barkskin
    all else fails --> bearform and run away for awhile

good luck have fun
    hope this helps

Spud is correct in stating to remove those skills

Alot of new druids put talents in Healing touch, trust me, NEVER do this :P

Tranquility isnt worth it in the long run.

I advise to place 18 in Balance, try to get Celestial Focus to get your haste up..

Haste is important for druid healers, so you can maintain lifeblooms and hots, on more than one tank (when you get out of heroics) but also speeds up all your spells.

If your having trouble with what to cast when, go read up the Nourish thread in thed ruid forums, we have had a rather in depth discussion which would answer alot of your questions

hi,

also just to add, it was partly because of the group composition you had as well

2enh + 2dks

if they are tools not watching the aggro trying to be king of the hill with DPS over the tank
    its not your fault + could be the tank is not generating enough aggro

and also : a good UI like x-perl

enable all the healing features for party, target + tick Big Buffs

so you know how many ticks are on who at what time

it makes your life easier as well

try everything suggested and run it with a different group this time

Quote Originally Posted by Biznick
    The spec looks decent, although I'd move the points from Naturalist, Empowered Touch and Improved Tranquility and start putting them in the Balance Tree (Genesis, Moonglow, Nature's Majesty, Nature's Splendor, Nature's Grace). Resto druids actually use Healing Touch extremely rarely - generally only with Nature's Swiftness. Speaking of which, if you haven't already, make a macro for that:
    #showtooltip Healing Touch
    /cast Nature's Swiftness
    /cast Healing Touch

This gives you a lovely instant cast very large heal with 1 button - perfect emergency button to heal the tank (or yourself if necessary).

i did attempt to keep my tank fully hot'd, but the shams were pulling a lot of their own agro as well.
    Let them die if you have to. IMO if a DPSer pulls aggro then they deserve to die.

Also, i ran into a mana problem with some of the pulls and one of the bosses so i figured that i'm probably over healing.
    Hmm, if you're having mana trouble on trash then it sounds like something is definitely wrong with what you're doing. Either that or the tank didn't give you a chance to drink beforehand.

As for boss fights, if you're still having mana trouble you should get Glyph of Innervate. Other very useful Glyph choices are Glyph of Swiftmend (this is almost a requirement IMO) and Glyph of Regrowth.

I did not use my healing touch that often, i tried to utilize lifebloom, regrowth, rejuv, and swiftmend as much as possible but it obviously did not work out.
    Sounds like you've got your rotation right. Don't forget Wild Growth though - it's pretty sweet for AoE healing.

what i'm asking for is if any healers have some helpful advice to a new healer, and what exactly my problem was.
    Can't see anything hugely wrong with what you've posted, but it'd help to see your gear - post an armory link and we'll see if there's anything wrong with your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidis
    Whats your spell cycle?

OMG, I was trying to be helpful! I didn't think anyone here would help him. There is always good information on the class specific forums. The jerks on these forums say shit like: Learn to search, and wrong forums, and shit like that. I sincerely was trying to be helpful, I just didn't post any links for him to the wow forums, because I didn't think they were allowed. There are a lot of assholes on these forums. I am not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morganskunk
    Spud is correct in stating to remove those skills

Alot of new druids put talents in Healing touch, trust me, NEVER do this :P

Tranquility isnt worth it in the long run.

I advise to place 18 in Balance, try to get Celestial Focus to get your haste up..

Haste is important for druid healers, so you can maintain lifeblooms and hots, on more than one tank (when you get out of heroics) but also speeds up all your spells.

If your having trouble with what to cast when, go read up the Nourish thread in thed ruid forums, we have had a rather in depth discussion which would answer alot of your questions
    Well really speccing that far down in Balance isn't worth it if he stays specced into Gift of the Earthmother.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0VG0uohZZf0IuiuxVuVhsz

is what I would consider trying

Glyph: Swiftmend, Innervate, Rejuvenation are the ones i usually use for healing

Usually its fine to just LBx3 + Rejuv and just use Swiftmend/Nourish and Regrowth when needed

You almost never use Healing Touch unless if its for a big fat heal with NS

I would suggest 1500 sp min with maybe about 400 regen

if you dont wanna go 18/0/53 (which includes Celestial Focus and Nature's Splendor)

I would suggest going 13/0/58 (which has Gift of the Earth Mother)

Going full resto is just a bad idea......

Oh almost forgot:

Healing tips:

Dont spam Regrowth or HT just to top off dps, in most instance you dont really need to worry about the range dps and just put a lifebloom or rejuve on them is usually fine.

If there's melee dps, it will make your life somewhat easier if you put wildgrowth on him and the tank.

If your melee dps keeps dying because he pulled aggro, it's not your fault. It's his own dumbass fault

Other than that pretty much learn to guess how much you can heal for and how much you need to heal for..... it comes down to experience really......
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"