Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mirror Image in Naxx

A few times in my recent naxx runs mirror image has been pulling aggro. I'm not casting them right away. I usually wait till I pop my CD's so I have the reduced threat. A couple times now when I cast it during a boss fight, the images pull aggro immediatly. This caused a wipe last time it happened, but I didn't have much of an explanation for the raid, considering I had been useing them all night with no trouble. Is this happening to anyone else? Known bug?

Re: Mirror Image in Naxx

There are bosses which are tauntable in Naxx. The Mirror Images have a taunt of their own which they use frequently.

Also Mirror Image doesn't reduce your aggro, it just hides it for 30 sec. So if you have 90% threat when you pop your cd's, you will most likely pull aggro after the 30 seconds. Trust me, I know :P

mirror images are great @ nuking useless targets / pulling new packs.

Your images don't have any taunt ability unlike Dutannia said above.

Your point could actually be a Mirror Image bug.

Normally, when you cast Mirror Image, each copy should receive 33% of your initial aggro while yours is temporarily set to 0 for 30 sec.

I've heard the spell is currently not working correctly : when you cast, each of your image is getting 133% of your aggro instead of 33%. If you're high enough in the aggro list, images will exceed the 110% (melee) or 130% (range) limit and over aggro the tank. I verified this several times.

The threat threeshold just before casting MI, causing your images to pull aggro, is ~98% of MT's if you're outside melee range, and ~82% if you're inside melee range.

This info should be double checked to confirm it's an actual bug. However it really makes sense with regard to what's happening in game when pulling aggro.
    Whether it is I hope this is fix in 3.0.8.

EDIT 12/19/2008 : fixed 2 errors pointed later in the thread

So they don't have a taunt?
    And when they have a taunt, how much yards range the taunt has?

on a funny sidenote, our tank almost died on Grand Widow Faerlina yesterday, due to mirror images sheeping and thus healing the adds

I never had a problem with Mirror Image apart from Globulous in Naxx once when I was really high on threat and decided to pop Mirror Image and suddenly Globulous goes off, killing 2 of my images and returning to the tank. Thankfully he didn't do his aoe shait so all was well.

There was no chance in hell those images had only 33% of my aggro, maybe something bugged and they got more than that - as Ekovah said - they might got 133% of my threat.

But seriously some times I wonder what the heck the images are doing. I cast Mirror Image at Sartharion and the images go off dpsing the dragons or the adds instead of Sartharion... they should prioritize on your current target TBH. And the raid leaders being daft enough not to realise that the images are dpsing the wrong target and not you ???

Quote Originally Posted by Ekovah
    Be very sure that your images never taunt anyone unlike it's been said above.

This could actually be a Mirror Image bug.

Normally, when you cast image, each copy should receive 33% of your initial aggro while yours is temporarly set to 0 for 30 sec. Once the 30 sec are over, your images dies and your position in the aggro list is reset to its value before the cast ; giving you 30sec aggro-free dps.

I've heard the spell is currently not working correctly : when you cast, each of your image is getting 133% of your aggro instead of 33%. If you're high enough in the aggro list, images will exceed the 115% limit and over aggro the tank. I verified this several times.

This info should be double checked to confirm it's an actual bug. However it really makes sense with regard to what's happening in game when pulling aggro.
    Whether it is I hope this is fix in 3.0.8.
    This sounds like exactly what is happening. If its bugged to do 133% of my threat then i can see why they are pulling. I really like being able to drop them for 30s of free threat, invis at 27s for the threat drop. But untill this is fixed, i dont think i want to risk it. Also, since we get no cast bar for them. How do i control their taunting. Right now they attack and sheep whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by XtgoodyX
    This sounds like exactly what is happening. If its bugged to do 133% of my threat then i can see why they are pulling. I really like being able to drop them for 30s of free threat, invis at 27s for the threat drop. But untill this is fixed, i dont think i want to risk it. Also, since we get no cast bar for them. How do i control their taunting. Right now they attack and sheep whatever they want.
    They *do not taunt*. They attack and (on applicable targets) sheep. They can draw aggro because of the
    33%/133% bug (it is really the case!). But if you keep this in mind they can be a clever tool (do not pop
    them when you are very close to the tank in aggro...). You just need to know when to use them. *Never* use them at Faerlina, *never* use them at Malygos while having the Damage Buff. At other occasions
    I already saved a lot of healer's life and even saved sometimes a bosskill when all tanks where down and I popped mirror images, which "bought
    us" the last few seconds of DPS to kill the boss (yes, he onehits them, but he needs 3 hits to kill 3 images). And as - even though only
    temporary - aggro loss they are very valuable. Helped me very often in 5 man's with PUG tanks ;-)

Strangely the only time I saw them sheeping was at the only time I used them at Faerlina (after that I never used them again at that boss,
    obviously).
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by XtgoodyX
    I really like being able to drop them for 30s of free threat, invis at 27s for the threat drop.
    I don't think you have to use invis to drop threat, because you don't generate any threat as long as the images are up. So your threat will be the same as before when they die.
    /thread

Easy Fix: Get Better Tanks.

Ive noticed this happening too, ie. I pop all my CDs including mirror image (should not be getting threat) then once the mirrors die BAM im top on threat have yet to pull and die since im ready for it to happen i usually just IB and call for a salv, then Invis rq to drop my threat (still top three on recount lol). But yea i think its a buggy too cause it doesnt happen all the time...

I don't think you have to use invis to drop threat, because you don't generate any threat as long as the images are up. So your threat will be the same as before when they die.
    That's wrong I believe. I think Mirror Images simply "saves" the threat you do during their duration and when they disappear, you get all that threat in one big chunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    I'll miss how the old Tree of Life looked like it was in a constant state of panic while healing, running around with its arms flailing up in the air going "OH GOD, HOW DID I GET HERE? I AM NOT GOOD WITH INTERNETS!"

Well from what I was told and i know it did do this is that you would stay at the same threat you had when you popped it and then just continue from that threat once Mirror Image ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage101
    Well from what I was told and i know it did do this is that you would stay at the same threat you had when you popped it and then just continue from that threat once Mirror Image ends.
    When you pop Mirror Images two things happen. Firstly 3 copies of yourself spawns, each with 133% of your threat. Secondly, your own accumulated threat turns invisible for 30 seconds. After 30s has passed your threat becomes visible again and depending on how hard you nuked during those 30s you may find yourself very high on the threatmeter. NOTE: the images do not (!) have to be alive at all for this to be in effect. Even if they die, you still have threatfree dps for 30s.

The fact that these images actually cast frostbolts, fireblast and try to sheep things does not take away the fact that you can use this spell for 30s of "free" dps, just as long as you remember that once those 30s are by, you may be very high on threat. Personally I like to pop MI just before I pop all I have and go bananas on large aoe trashpacks, or towards the 20% nukephase in a bossfight if I find myself very high on threat. In wich case I might want to pop a few ticks of invis at 28s just to be safe etc. I rarely ever use it for the dps increase since I find it hard to keep the fuckers alive

- Saph
    <Clampy> "I remeber when i first started my character and i was leveling as protection wearing spirit gear and it took me about a year to go from 1-30. but i didnt care! because everything was new and exciting and I WAS A WARRIOR!"

I'm still enjoying it when my clones sheep the mobs I'm trying to kill, and/or nuke my own poly target.

And like mentioned above, Faerlina. A fight I remove my MI cast from my DPS macro for.

Thaddius and 4H seem to mess with their (limited) Ai too. When cast, they all ran off for different targets.
    If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Water is Life

Quote Originally Posted by mgp84
    Easy Fix: Get Better Tanks.
    The awesomeness in this one is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirox
    Personally I like to pop MI just before I pop all I have and go bananas on large aoe trashpacks, or towards the 20% nukephase in a bossfight if I find myself very high on threat. In wich case I might want to pop a few ticks of invis at 28s just to be safe etc. I rarely ever use it for the dps increase since I find it hard to keep the ------- alive

- Saph
    FYI you might wanna change that up a bit. Mirror Image currently for unknown reasons causes a GCD on your abilities that normally dont (trinket, icy veins, etc..). So you may wanna use your cooldowns first, then use the mirror image =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dacool561
    FYI you might wanna change that up a bit. Mirror Image currently for unknown reasons causes a GCD on your abilities that normally dont (trinket, icy veins, etc..). So you may wanna use your cooldowns first, then use the mirror image =)
    not if you macro the images, then its fine.
    <Clampy> "I remeber when i first started my character and i was leveling as protection wearing spirit gear and it took me about a year to go from 1-30. but i didnt care! because everything was new and exciting and I WAS A WARRIOR!"

The fail in this thread is ridiculous.

Mirror Image is essentially Fade. When you pop it, you're all but invisible to the boss. When MI disappears, you regain the threat you had previous to popping it, as well as the threat you accrued during the MI period.

It isn't "free" DPS period (unless you combine it with Invis like someone mentioned); if you were about to pull hate before MI and then nuke harder during the buff, you're still going to be high on threat and possibly outright pull hate.