Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Suggested changes to shadow PvP

<Arena game starts>
    Opponent 1: "Shadow priest! NUKE THE SHADOW PRIEEST!"
    Opponent 2: "No John, DON'T!!"
    Opponent 1: "AAHHH WHY AM I MELTING!? ... Oh god, what the hell is happening!?! Aararhwhwh ......."
    Opponent 2: "Noob, don't attack the shadow priest ffs"

Wouldn't that be awesome?

The idea about making shadowpriest dangerous to hit is the most likely one
    This is the best idea but should possibly also apply to other priests specs.

Instead of just having a random chance to proc blackout I think taking random factors out of arena is important . Instead of a random chance it should be more..

An ability on a 2-3 minute timer or a proc from inner fire of say 20% that creates another shield.

Shadow Dance: creates a shadowy shield around the priest, each hit on the shield gives a 25% chance to incapacitate ( maybe a disarm or silance instead of a cc) the attacker, each consecutive hit adds 25% up until 4 hits (100%). Instead of a cc type shield a reflective shield that returns say 3x dmg would also be very good idea.

There is a very good reason to proc a shield or effect to help us because it puts more skill in a players hands. For instance a skillful rogue will see your shield go up and immediately stop hitting you while a newb player would hit you and get cc'd. Both results in more freedom for the priest. You basically want prevent smart players from hitting it and penalize dumb players from doing so.

• The removal of divine hymn from fear is important, as it stand now divine hym is 100% USELESS.
    • Dispersion needs to remove ms effects or be immune to debuffs while dispersed, also it is bugged out when cycloned.
    • Mana burn is currently useless
    • Divine hope is useless
    • Imp shadowform and fade is useless, why remove snared effects when they can be instantly re done. I play a warrior as well and I just spam hamstring you just wasted a gcd for nothing. Imp fade and shadow form must have an immunity to snares for 5 seconds or something.

Current list of Bugs

• Mind Flay and Mind Sear: The ticks seem off and occur to late into channeling
    • Fade: doesn't always remove spells like Slow.
    • Talent Improved Power Word: Shield: only affects base PWS absorbed.
    • Shadow Word: Death: doesn't break Polymorph (glyphed). Neither have I ever seen it breaking fear again. Possibly classified as DoT (the backlash).
    • Divine Hymn: Doesn't take in the cd reducing effects for Psychic Scream.
    • Divine Aegis does not multistack as it should.
    ( think they fixed this on ptr?)

• Dispersion the managain stops when the priest is being cycloned.
    • shadowfiend first spawns, it has 1710 of 3018 health for ~1second after summoning, then heals to full. If hit during this 1 second, it can die to only 1710 damage.

Fix some bugs then give us and locks some more freedom to do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureact
    <Arena game starts>
    Opponent 2: No John, DON'T!!
    Opponent 1: "AAHHH WHY AM I MELTING!? ... Oh god what the hell is happening!?! Aararhwhwh ......."
    Opponent 2: Noob, don't attack the shadow priest ffs"

Haha, that would be awesome :P love the melting part :P

And yeah the way to go would probably be to make the priest more dangerous to hit, like previously mentioned, and I agree it would most likely be implemented by tweaking the currently existing talents and abilities rather than making new ones.

Just a few ideas of off the top of my head (note: I do not imply that all of these changes needs to be implemented, only a few or perhaps only one would probably be enough, it's just several ways to solve the issue):

* The chance for proccing blackout either from inner fire or a RNG on hit is a good one as mentioned in the original post.
    * Chance on hit to finish the cooldown on psychic scream.
    * I also like the idea of hits backlashing onto attackers, but that has in a way already been used in reflective shield.
    * If and when Power Word: Shield is destroyed (that is through damage) the now unleashed gathered energy will cause all
    targets (or enemy targets perhaps) to be knocked back 5-10-20? yards (20 is probably way to much and the "reason" should
    most likely be altered a bit, but the effect in itself would be nice)
    * In some way give a chance to disarm on hit.
    * Glyph: increases movement speed while under the effect of dispersion by 50% (since the talent seems to be more focused on
    letting you escape from something)
    * Glyph: allows you to cast self-targeted non-holy spells during dispersion (just to take a different approach)
    * Glyph: if hit during dispersion the pure shadow energy will cause the attacker to melt (for humour, see quote:P)

Edit:
    * A different version of the on PW: Shield destruction talent (or glyph?) could be that it causes a snare on the target (since
    having both would most likely be too much, unless perhaps with a 5 yard knockback, but this would probably cost us dearly.)

Edit 2:
    I won't comment on the hymns for now because
    A: I never saw Divine Hymn as an ability to help shadowpriest to begin with (though yeah shadowpriests will be penalized for it in
    the same way as with healing since we CAN indeed use it if willing to pay the price)
    B: They said something about thoroughly working on the hymns, and perhaps even redesigning them, so I hope that also covers
    the shared CD issue.

<Arena game starts>
    Opponent 2: No John, DON'T!!
    Opponent 1: "AAHHH WHY AM I MELTING!? ... Oh god what the hell is happening!?! Aararhwhwh ......."
    Opponent 2: Noob, don't attack the shadow priest ffs"

are you drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Devstah

are you drunk
    are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Uhuuu
    Haha, that would be awesome :P love the melting part :P

And yeah the way to go would probably be to make the priest more dangerous to hit, like previously mentioned, and I agree it would most likely be implemented by tweaking the currently existing talents and abilities rather than making new ones.

Just a few ideas of off the top of my head (note: I do not imply that all of these changes needs to be implemented, only a few or perhaps only one would probably be enough, it's just several ways to solve the issue):

* The chance for proccing blackout either from inner fire or a RNG on hit is a good one as mentioned in the original post.
    * Chance on hit to finish the cooldown on psychic scream.
    * I also like the idea of hits backlashing onto attackers, but that has in a way already been used in reflective shield.
    * If and when Power Word: Shield is destroyed (that is through damage) the now unleashed gathered energy will cause all
    targets (or enemy targets perhaps) to be knocked back 5-10-20? yards (20 is probably way to much and the "reason" should
    most likely be altered a bit, but the effect in itself would be nice)
    * In some way give a chance to disarm on hit.
    * Glyph: increases movement speed while under the effect of dispersion by 50% (since the talent seems to be more focused on
    letting you escape from something)
    * Glyph: allows you to cast self-targeted non-holy spells during dispersion (just to take a different approach)
    * Glyph: if hit during dispersion the pure shadow energy will cause the attacker to melt (for humour, see quote:P)

Edit:
    * A different version of the on PW: Shield destruction talent (or glyph?) could be that it causes a snare on the target (since
    having both would most likely be too much, unless perhaps with a 5 yard knockback, but this would probably cost us dearly.)

Edit 2:
    I won't comment on the hymns for now because
    A: I never saw Divine Hymn as an ability to help shadowpriest to begin with (though yeah shadowpriests will be penalized for it in
    the same way as with healing since we CAN indeed use it if willing to pay the price)
    B: They said something about thoroughly working on the hymns, and perhaps even redesigning them, so I hope that also covers
    the shared CD issue.
    How about combining two of those?
    Like: When your Power Word: Shield is destroyed or dispelled while the cooldown on Psychic Scream is 15 seconds or greater, there is a <high> chance that your next Psychic Scream will be cast regardless of the cooldown, as a horror effect.

Might be a little extreme, I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Devstah

are you drunk
    No, but what an excellent suggestion!
    I am re-installing wow for the next few hours anyway .. stupid slow Internet connection ..

I like the ideas of returning damage taken but it would never become a 300% damage return cause then almost every class could one shot it self on the shield it should be more like 50% for 10 sec and it should remove movement impairing effects, and it should not be easy to see that the priest used it, so that rogue and other players keep hitting away.
    Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

I like the ideas of returning damage taken but it would never become a 300% damage return
    Well that's where you have to be smart there several abilities that have similar effects, unstable affliction can and will kill you if you dispel it so you have to think, bladestorm is like a get the hell out of the way ability or you die, we need something that is avoidable if your smart but can wreak havoc.

If not we need some form of cc since ours is so limited, fear and mind control just aren't cutting it anymore.

So Bliz has 2 options, more cc for us or some sort of defensive ability to not just help us live through a massive lockdown burst but inflict pain on anyone trying to do so.

Shadow Word: Bind

maybe like entangling roots but with a dark look to it?

it could even do some damage too :]

I doubt we're going to receive anything except Divine Hymn on separate cooldown to fear, there has been a lot of constructive posts about shadow pvp trough TBC, it's plainly obvious that a large portion of priest community wants to pvp as shadow but after the whole tbc, the whole alpha and beta phase of wotlk and in the end - arena season 5 - you really think they'll actually fix anything? I think game is too evolved now, arena revolves around who can give and take the most damage while disabling either the target or the teammate.

We cannot receive a lot and nearly every class has some sort of silence or defense against us. Even Dispersion silences us. Having it granting us cc immunity and not silencing us could improve our overall survivability and ability to actually dps.

I really hate gearing up for arena only to throw a dot or two, followed by firing fear, followed by hitting dispersion. I'm sorry if I sound too qq-ish but I really lost faith in shadow pvp, it became a lol spec for pvp.

The idea of instant mana burn is nice, but doesn't address survivability in the short term
    Besides, I'd like to see you trying to mana burn a warrior, death knight, feral druid or rogue
    Oh yes, I was more thinking that teams with a healer (when those start popping up again) might feel that nuking the shadow priest perhaps isn't automatically the best option. You could of course make it the next Mana Burn or Mind Blast instant or so. I assumed that short term survivability will be balanced somehow, and went on trying to design something to dissuade arena teams from just keeping nuking the priest first.

Interrupts have gotten so good and warlocks and priests are such good targets that both Drain Mana and Mana Burn would be rather useless right now even if the games lasted longer.

Just like warlocks all priests have poor damage mitigation and poor escape mechanics (priest healers don't have ANY escape mechanics), and become quite ineffective if focused by meleers. I have a feeling that elemental shamans share some of that, and probably moonkins as well. The other healers are at least better off when it comes to kiting.

For priests it's noticable the most for the shadow spec since the other ones are healers and thus can keep themselves alive a little longer, but holy is really the spec that takes the most raw damage, probably of all classes in the game. I guess the thing to figure out is if only shadow and holy or also discipline is in need of some sort of buffs. Discipline might be able to tank meleers better, but they are also a very good target to nuke. I have no idea why a class that was the punching bag for all of TBC got a great healing spell that they cannot cast on themselves. Penance is mostly just another reason for whacking the priest first.

No, really, give the whole class something scary that makes the meleers think more before choosing their target than "THEY HAVE A PRIEST! YAY!"

The pvp translation of "bring the player, not the class" should be "nuke the player, not the class". That would be more fun for everyone.