Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sarth 25 +3 Drakes : A Tutorial

The original author of the movie posted a thread a few hours later and she deserves to be in charge.

---=|THE THREAD IS POSTED BELOW ME, AVERT YOUR EYES THERE.|=---

Give your questions to her, she's the expert.

Re: Sarth 25 +3 Drakes : A Tutorial

Just posting here now, sorry I didn't realize there was a second raids and dungeons forum, and I'd made this as a new post in the *other* one on this site. I'll follow both threads, in case there's questions I can answer!

I saw some questions here in some threads about the fight, and thought this movie I just finished up (I'm the author) might help:

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=96831

It's a narrated, illustrated tutorial about how to do Sarth with three drakes. The tactics also apply to two drakes (and one, obviously), and will work for the 10-man also (but be aware that it's harder just because you have fewer different classes available.) It's currently the featured video on Warcraft Movies.

There's an accompanying written strategy guide to complement and expand on the narration of the video:

http://www.stratfu.com/strats/Sartharion3D

But if I can help answer any questions here, I will. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Finally, one of our raidleaders wrote up a night-by-night recap of the various things we tried, where we succeeded, where we failed. It's a good insight into what happens before the kill:

http://www.tardfactor.com/experiences/the-hard-way

It's a really fun encounter, and feels great when you beat it -- plus the extra loot of course...

Very informative and I recommend it to everyone.

The night by night recap was a good read.
    Thanks.

I agree, very informative video and nice detailed strat. I just wish I raided with enough competent people to actually even think about attempting this. Last night I tried to pull the 'best' of our raiders in to try at least two drakes, and when that didn't work, we tried one drake. The DPS just couldn't handle killing the drake before we had like 3 sets of whelp adds, that then overwhelmed the add tank.

Not saying I hate raiding with my guild, it just sucks cause we lost a lot of talent with the Xpac, since a lot of people quit. My 25 man raids have like 8 people that raided together in BC, with the rest being people new to raiding in general (maybe some of them cleared Kara in TBC?). Hopefully after a lot of training I will eventually be able to see Sarth 3D go down!
    ***uBer sExY chAIN heAls ftW***

That is a very, very nice read, thankyou very much for posting that, I know it will be benefitial to a lot out there. Still to watch the vid, will get to that, but the overview and the night by night cap were both extremely helpful, and I'm only at the 10M stage.
    If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Water is Life

How exactly did your Sarth tank survive the breaths with Shadron down? What kind of tank did you use?

We've been using our main tank, who has more or less the best possible gear available, and we're forced to rely on good luck with resists when Shadron is down. We tried using a rotation of Pain Supression/Guardian Spirit/Hand of Sacrifice, but there aren't enough of them to last until the breaths become survivable.

Quote Originally Posted by zsuper
    How exactly did your Sarth tank survive the breaths with Shadron down? What kind of tank did you use?

We've been using our main tank, who has more or less the best possible gear available, and we're forced to rely on good luck with resists when Shadron is down. We tried using a rotation of Pain Supression/Guardian Spirit/Hand of Sacrifice, but there aren't enough of them to last until the breaths become survivable.
    Your tank will be fine until Vesperon lands, that's actually when they get bad. If he's dying when it's just Shadron down, then your healers need to respond faster to the (predictable) damage spikes -- the breath has a two second cast, there's time to react.

After the acolyte however, yes, your main option is to use cooldowns, and it's doable with cooldowns as long as your tank is healed back very quickly after each breath (just like with only Shadron.)

Alternatively:

http://strats.fusion-guild.org/index...ent:_The_Dance

But some tanks may have issues with it or say it's unreliable.

bump

we use a very similar strat to that of fusion aside from how to survive breaths. We use a DK with stam gear on and a very twisted spec to get all the stam and magic mitigation talents/bone shield.

While Shadron is down, he will stand of the the side of the tank and do nothing but stand there(dont auto attack even so that no damage is taken by the twilight torment) and taunt whenever flame breath is cast. He will eat the flame breath and even with all the debuffs only hits for about 16k on him with boneshield. If anti magic shield/ice bound fortitude are up its even less. DKs are really good for eating the breath because if you go the stam/magic mitigation spec you have like 15% magic reduction or something.

At the urging of quite a few people over IM/tells/PM's over the last few days ("How will I know when you do new stuff?!?") I added a wordpress install today that will serve as announcements for new strats, major changes, new movies, etc., and also just cool strat tidbits I come across (e.g. I posted about a thread on tankspot about a better spot to tank Heigan today.)

http://strats.fusion-guild.org/blog -- FuStrats: Strategies, Guides, and Movies

Also, there's now an RSS feed available if you prefer to just get notified when there's something new.

e.g. Today I announced that I finished the guide on "how to be safer in Naxx", if your guild is pushing to get the Immortal achievement: http://strats.fusion-guild.org/blog/?p=25

Quote Originally Posted by Sesruc
    we use a very similar strat to that of fusion aside from how to survive breaths. We use a DK with stam gear on and a very twisted spec to get all the stam and magic mitigation talents/bone shield.

While Shadron is down, he will stand of the the side of the tank and do nothing but stand there(dont auto attack even so that no damage is taken by the twilight torment) and taunt whenever flame breath is cast. He will eat the flame breath and even with all the debuffs only hits for about 16k on him with boneshield. If anti magic shield/ice bound fortitude are up its even less. DKs are really good for eating the breath because if you go the stam/magic mitigation spec you have like 15% magic reduction or something.
    We had considered doing this (taunting on breaths) but opted not to so we wouldn't have bring so many tanks. If we hadn't learned about the Twilight Torment Dance we may have ended up doing this to make repeat kills easier, but it's not necessary now.

My guild is looking to do 10 man with 2 Drakes this week, and 3 drakes next week.

We plan on killing Shadron, as you suggested. Is there any major differences in the 10 man version we should be aware of? The only thing I can think of is that the damage will be less(ie 65k flame breaths from sarth in 25 man 3d).

Also, a suggested comp? Presently, we're looking at 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 dps. Would picking up an additional tank for the whelps/elementals be a good idea? Current Comp:
    Unholy DK Tank
    Prot Warrior

Holy Priest
    Resto Sham
    Holy Pally

Mage(me, go figure)
    Lock
    Ret Pally
    Enhance Sham
    Hunter

If we were to need another tank, we would probably make the ret pally re-spec since he is actually accustomed to tanking, and has a tank set.

Thanks for any help!

We found it far easier to go with 2 healers, 3 tanks, than the reverse. Yes healing is tight, and it takes skill and practice, but it's hard to have the DPS otherwise.

If you have very skilled tanks, you might be able to do it with just 2 tanks, but healing will be rough on both of them.

Note that you can no longer "dance" (i.e. cheese, i.e. play games with) Twilight Torment -- your only choices are HP/Cooldown stacking now.

All of the rest of the Sartharion strat still applies however!

http://www.stratfu.com/strats/Sartharion3D

is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000 the best DK Sarth 3d tanking spec?

Does Bone Shield still save you from dying even with the 20% nerf?

Does Spell Deflectionw work at all for the breaths?

Quote Originally Posted by cstarfreak88
    is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000 the best DK Sarth 3d tanking spec?

Does Bone Shield still save you from dying even with the 20% nerf?

Does Spell Deflectionw work at all for the breaths?
    Our DK never tried it, so I don't know. Bone Shield in general isn't a good talent, so, I'd be skeptical but you could try it.

If you have enough base HP to survive the breaths using only vampiric blood, then the new blood tank spec will work fine -- most people doing 50/5/16.

Twilight Torment deals damage when the target deals damage.

I play an affliction lock. Does this mean that each time one of my dots tick I'm going to take a tick of Twilight Torment damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Babb
    Twilight Torment deals damage when the target deals damage.

I play an affliction lock. Does this mean that each time one of my dots tick I'm going to take a tick of Twilight Torment damage?
    It does. Atleast on my Shadowpriest. That "phase" of the fight is about calm nuking, so healers can keep up with the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Masennus
    It does. Atleast on my Shadowpriest. That "phase" of the fight is about calm nuking, so healers can keep up with the damage.
    Similar to the RoS 2nd phase DPS need to know to stop dps when they ge tlow instead of nuking as hard as they can.