Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted

Re: Why are some paladins not using a spellpower weapon?

Oh. My. God.

I really cant see why you are defending the spellpower weapons still. They are horrible for tanking. I dont care what people say, you dont even need them for big trash pulls. I have way more spellpower now with Touched by the Light than did in TBC with all my spellpower plate and my Hammer of Judgement. So with more spellpower, you still get bigger numbers with cons, you dont need the weapon.

Your main attack is HotR. I currently use Slayer of the Lifeless (Sword of a Thousand Truths ftw) it has almost 144dps. I crit HotR for almost 4k...and sometimes on all 3 targets. There is no way to get numbers like that from a shitty healing mace.

Just suck it up, take everyones advice on this thread and get a good tanking 1h. (Heroic UP is the easiest one to get) You'll be glad you did.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/

Basic training forum. Never ask a prot paladin question anywhere else again. Leave the spell damage weapons to the casters.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Bidybag
    So if i dont need mitigation, then a spellpower weapon is better for threat.

That means more threat on Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield, Seal of Righteousness, cons
    > > >
    For the love of all that is Holy, why the hell would you ever NOT need more mitigation? Mitigation is a fundamental of tanking! And you can never had enough!!! GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD!

Forget about mitigation for the sake of discussion, i am just talking about threat now.

You can see here each spell is taking the same percent from attack power and spellpower (more of righteousness) So why would it not be logical to go for extra spellpower.

I know the only ability that will have a little less damage is Shield of Righteousness, but im talking about the others for now.
    Threat is not what is important seeing as you have as much spellpower as you did in BC if you have enough Stamina, which if you are in the 1800-1900+ Stamina range, you should have around 600 SP. Threat is not a concern as long as you are using your tanking abilities on bosses, THEY SHOULD NEVER PULL OFF! The TPS dealt by Prot Paladins is insane, so threat is not the issue.

Second, if your logic stands... If we get the same amount from SP as we do from the AP from strength... Then why not use the STR/TANKING weapon? Its the same damn thing isn't it?

And lastly, I don't know where you have been or what you have been tanking, but anything to boost Shield of Righteousness is what you want to concentrate on if you are lacking on your TPS, because that ability is one of the highest if not the highest generators of Threat. A instant attack that deals around 3k (5-6.5k on Crits) Holy damage with each attack... Yea, you shouldn't be concentrating on Threat.

Learn your damn class and stop ignoring what people are trying to explain to you! 8)

hell i have no problem keeping threat even if grouped with 4 lvl 80's and im only lvl 75 loving the conversion to tanking weapons could do with some more choice in shields though not many available at my level for tanking

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt here....

The OP is probably a holy pally looking to do some tanking on the side and wanting his weapon to double dip. Don't. I'm not gonna tell you why you should be using a traditional tanking weapon over a spell power weapon. The question has been answered ad nauseum - you just have to open your mind a little.

Tank weapon = higher dps , better for HoTr
    Tanking weapon also usually increases your strenght. And strength = attack power and block value, and both of those gives you damage increase. (BV only to Shotr tho)

Deleted

This is the most noobish thread iv seen in a long time, but i will reply anyway.

You do realise every spell now scales with attack power? Not to mention Hammer of the righteous which is 4x main hand. Palas should be useing a slow speed heavy hitting mellee tank weapon, there are plenty to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream
    Not to mention Hammer of the righteous which is 4x main hand. Palas should be useing a slow speed heavy hitting mellee tank weapon, there are plenty to choose from.
    *SLAP*
    NO! A Prot Paladin should be using a tanking weapon yes, but not a slow one. A slow weapon means you are getting less hits in which means less applying of your seal. Plus you shouldn't depend the speed of your weapon on one skill. Also, end game there is only ONE slow speed tanking weapon that is epic which comes from 25 Man Naxx, have fun getting that. And lastly, most of the faster weapons are only a little bit less "Hard" hitting than the regular weapons, no point in taking a slow weapon. 8)

The OP is either a retarded protection paladin or an angry warrior who got his sword taken by a paladin in UP.

This is really why protection paladins don't need spell damage on any of their armor/weapons:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53592
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Deleted

You do realise HoR applies a seal stack / seal hit every time you use it yes?... No need for a fast weapon AT ALL. Slow = more threat from HOR

Please, reroll Warhammer Online. Or maybe, reroll Sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream
    You do realise HoR applies a seal stack / seal hit every time you use it yes?... No need for a fast weapon AT ALL. Slow = more threat from HOR
    Because threat is totally a problem at the moment. Yes...

When Prot Paladins pull off of warriors that even used their taunt to keep the mob on them... Yes we need more threat! Totally. I will keep my faster weapon thanks.

Honestly, Kare seems to be a sensed, and well informed Prot Pally, compared to many other ppl answering here, and he even answered seriously to the OP.

Paladins are doing great for threat right now, you dont need a TPS weapon, you WANT a mitigation/avoidance weapon.
    -
    I also got the aggro pulled off me in mid-fight by our prot pally, even with a 5k TPS. It's kinda interresting/fun to switch tank in mid-fight on a boss like Malygos.

You guys WANT a tanking weapon, and dont NEED a threat weapon.
    Retired.Main:Gotts.80Warrior
    Retired.Alt:Xarathor.80Shaman
    Retired.Alt:Lurked.80Mage
    Retired.Alt:Cowned.80Druid

Quote Originally Posted by lurked
    Honestly, Kare seems to be a sensed, and well informed Prot Pally, compared to many other ppl answering here, and he even answered seriously to the OP.

Paladins are doing great for threat right now, you dont need a TPS weapon, you WANT a mitigation/avoidance weapon.
    -
    I also got the aggro pulled off me in mid-fight by our prot pally, even with a 5k TPS. It's kinda interresting/fun to switch tank in mid-fight on a boss like Malygos.

You guys WANT a tanking weapon, and dont NEED a threat weapon.
    Thanks for the kind words, lurked, I appreciate that. BTW, why did you have multiple tanks at Malygos? ??? Just wondering. Last I checked the fight only required one.

All abilities still scale on spellpower so why would somebody not use a spellpower weapon for tanking? Thats 400 extra spellpower, which means way more threat, they also have the same amount of stamina as a non spellpower weapon.
    i lol'd

The OP seems to have the opinion that ShoR and HotR scale with spellpower, they don't.

I make 7-12k Threat Per Second on current Wrath of the Lich Kings bosses, why should I want more aggro from spellpower? BTW and obviously, I'm always first to have highest DPS and Damage Done on trash mobs in instances.
    Let's have a look at Hammer of Righteousness: it does x4 DPS on weapon by now + some percent of AP and SP, SP weapons usually have about 40-50 DPS, and on my "Last Laugh" I have 173 dps, which is way more better than 40-50.
    Checking WWS or Recount we can see, that Consecration is still more than a half of protection paladin's damage, but TPS goes from other abilities: Shield of Templar, Hammer of Righteousness, Judgements, Seals, Shield of Avenger, so tanking weapon with "warrior's" stats is a must have to reach maximum TPS as a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz
    I make 7-12k Threat Per Second on current Wrath of the Lich Kings bosses, why should I want more aggro from spellpower? BTW and obviously, I'm always first to have highest DPS and Damage Done on trash mobs in instances.
    Yeah, right.

You must group with idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kare
    Thanks for the kind words, lurked, I appreciate that.&#160; BTW, why did you have multiple tanks at Malygos?&#160; &#160;???&#160; Just wondering.&#160; Last I checked the fight only required one.
    Only because we just got out of our first Naxx25 clear, so we wanted to urge and try to kill Malygos(we were heading for Realm First)

We obiously dont need more than 1 tank there, but we didnt bother changing our setup for 1 hour of attempts&#160;
    Retired.Main:Gotts.80Warrior
    Retired.Alt:Xarathor.80Shaman
    Retired.Alt:Lurked.80Mage
    Retired.Alt:Cowned.80Druid