Thread: Curse Of Doom

Curse Of Doom

WTF!! Curse of Doom Sucks!!! lvl 70 10k or 13k damge on bosses now lvl 80 same damage!!! this is really stupid
    What do u think?

Re: Curse Of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Ottolock
    WTF!! Curse of Doom Sucks!!! lvl 70 10k or 13k damge on bosses now lvl 80 same damage!!! this is really stupid
    How do u think?
    I think u need to use ur brain and u will know the reason~

Quote Originally Posted by Sifon
    I do indeed like people with "brain" which advice to use "brain". Maybe its better to enlighten instead of giving advices?

Quote Originally Posted by Zedzedicuz
    I do indeed like people with "brain" which advice to use "brain". Maybe its better to enlighten instead of giving advices?
    He said that because he doesn't have a clue either. So he's trying to look all smart with the old "dude, everyone knows that, you're dumb" attitude, when in fact him too, is waiting for a nice person to reply, so he wouldn't be as clueless anymore.

CoA is better anyway, Doom is only a novelty spell now to proc a doomguard when you're bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsprngr
    CoA is better anyway, Doom is only a novelty spell now to proc a doomguard when you're bored.
    Well I guess thats the idea poster had in mind when creating this topic, but due to some facts (maybe lack of time or inability to post this thoughts clearly due to some mmm lets call it brain restrictions ) he could only call it WTF!!! and bla bla bla.

I guess what was behind the scenes is that Curse of Doom should also scale as all spells do. Like make Curse of Doom make damage based on percentage of mobs health but that would be too overpowered... So poster is like looking for suggestion for improvement...

As affliction and destro you want your curse to be agony anyway to proc molten core.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsprngr
    CoA has always been the better spell. Pre 3.0 CoA beat out CoD by ~ 30% more depending on different variables. Here is an older breakdown from last year. Even though its out dated by 3.0 the logic still holds true:

The first major debate was between the use of Curse of Doom vs. Curse of Agony. To understand the examples that will be listed below it is first important to lay out the basis for the mechanics of each spell. This will include base spell dmg, bonus spell dmg, spell duration, spell dmg coefficients, benefits to spells from talents, and spell crit %.

Curse of Doom:
    duration - 60 sec
    base spell dmg - 4200
    spell dmg coefficient - 200%
    benefits from talents - Amplify Curse 50% (Note the 50% is of base spell dmg only, special coefficient rule application for CoD only, and Shadow Mastery does not work for CoD)

Curse of Agony:
    duration - 24 sec
    base spell dmg - 1356
    spell dmg coefficient - 120%
    benefits from talents - Shadow Mastery 10%, Imp CoA 10%, Contagion 5%

Now for the basis of this example we will need to set some player parameters to plug into the equations. So for this example we will use our top ace Warlock, JimBob, who happens to have 1000 bonus spell dmg and a 20% spell crit chance. Also since I am trying to prove my statements that CoA is better than CoD I will use the best possible scenario for the CoD and the base scenario for CoA. I am setting the example in basis of 2 min durations to make for easier math since 5 CoA fit into 2 mins and 2 CoD fit as well. Now for a bit of math.

Example 1: A 2 min boss fight in which JimBob gets 1 crit on the Amp Curse'd CoD (again this is the best possible scenario considering there is only 20% crit on JimBob) and just normal CoA casts with SM and Imp CoA talents.

CoD - (4200 + 2*1000) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*1.5) = 6200 + 12,450 = 18,650
    CoA - (((1356 + 1.2*1000)*1.25)*5) = 15,975

So for example 1 where you got the best CoD in JimBob's life it is in fact better, now for a longer duration fight, but still giving the advantage to CoD. . .

Example 2: A 10 min boss fight in which Jimbob gets 2 CoD crits (avg for his 20% crit) and one of those crits hitting on an Amp Curse'd CoD again and just normal CoA casts with SM and Imp CoA talents. I have also counted 2 aditional uses of AC since the fight duration allows.

CoD - ((4200 + 2*1000)*6) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*2) + ((4200 + 2*1000)*1.5) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*1.5) = 37,200 + 12,450 + 9,300 + 18,650 = 77,600
    CoA - (((1356 + 1.2*1000)*1.25)*25) = 79,875

So for example 2 the gap between the two spells has reversed, and once again heavy favoritism was given to CoD and in both example AC was not used for CoA.

The overall explanation for the above is that CoD is not as viable as CoA, especially if you are fitting into a few situations like having under 20% spell crit, having over 1000 spell dmg, having alot of debuffs on bosses. Most affliciton locks that are still geared in pre-SSC and TK gear are floating around 12-15% crit depending on gem and enc choices and floating around 900-1250 spell dmg based again on gem and enc choices. Affliciton is the best choice of spec until you are full clearing SSC and TK since at that point you have enough spell crit to make Destro more viable and beneficial to raid dmg, mostly because affliciton scales very easily because spell dmg is so easy to obtain and increases your dmg by huge ammounts due to compounding variables. One of the other factors that makes CoD worse is how debuffs get knocked off if you reach the limit, which is it kicks off the oldest ones first. In that case the duration of 60 sec hurts more for CoD.

Cheers

Ah but remember those well timed COD spells we used to toss on the Curator Those were the times

Ahhh Curator thos where good times,
    Trinket, Amplify Curse and then Curse of Doom.
    Hit him on the right time is ace, hitting him with that is just harmony for my soul

Quote Originally Posted by Namon
    Example 1: A 2 min boss fight in which JimBob gets 1 crit on the Amp Curse'd CoD (again this is the best possible scenario considering there is only 20% crit on JimBob) and just normal CoA casts with SM and Imp CoA talents.
    Now go write down "COD CANNOT AND NEVER COULD CRIT" a thousand times.

Quote Originally Posted by Namon
    CoA has always been the better spell. Pre 3.0 CoA beat out CoD by ~ 30% more depending on different variables. Here is an older breakdown from last year. Even though its out dated by 3.0 the logic still holds true:

The first major debate was between the use of Curse of Doom vs. Curse of Agony. To understand the examples that will be listed below it is first important to lay out the basis for the mechanics of each spell. This will include base spell dmg, bonus spell dmg, spell duration, spell dmg coefficients, benefits to spells from talents, and spell crit %.

Curse of Doom:
    duration - 60 sec
    base spell dmg - 4200
    spell dmg coefficient - 200%
    benefits from talents - Amplify Curse 50% (Note the 50% is of base spell dmg only, special coefficient rule application for CoD only, and Shadow Mastery does not work for CoD)

Curse of Agony:
    duration - 24 sec
    base spell dmg - 1356
    spell dmg coefficient - 120%
    benefits from talents - Shadow Mastery 10%, Imp CoA 10%, Contagion 5%

Now for the basis of this example we will need to set some player parameters to plug into the equations. So for this example we will use our top ace Warlock, JimBob, who happens to have 1000 bonus spell dmg and a 20% spell crit chance. Also since I am trying to prove my statements that CoA is better than CoD I will use the best possible scenario for the CoD and the base scenario for CoA. I am setting the example in basis of 2 min durations to make for easier math since 5 CoA fit into 2 mins and 2 CoD fit as well. Now for a bit of math.

CoD - (4200 + 2*1000) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*1.5) = 6200 + 12,450 = 18,650
    CoA - (((1356 + 1.2*1000)*1.25)*5) = 15,975

So for example 1 where you got the best CoD in JimBob's life it is in fact better, now for a longer duration fight, but still giving the advantage to CoD. . .

Example 2: A 10 min boss fight in which Jimbob gets 2 CoD crits (avg for his 20% crit) and one of those crits hitting on an Amp Curse'd CoD again and just normal CoA casts with SM and Imp CoA talents. I have also counted 2 aditional uses of AC since the fight duration allows.

CoD - ((4200 + 2*1000)*6) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*2) + ((4200 + 2*1000)*1.5) + (((4200 + 2*1000)+ 4200*1.5)*1.5) = 37,200 + 12,450 + 9,300 + 18,650 = 77,600
    CoA - (((1356 + 1.2*1000)*1.25)*25) = 79,875

So for example 2 the gap between the two spells has reversed, and once again heavy favoritism was given to CoD and in both example AC was not used for CoA.

The overall explanation for the above is that CoD is not as viable as CoA, especially if you are fitting into a few situations like having under 20% spell crit, having over 1000 spell dmg, having alot of debuffs on bosses. Most affliciton locks that are still geared in pre-SSC and TK gear are floating around 12-15% crit depending on gem and enc choices and floating around 900-1250 spell dmg based again on gem and enc choices. Affliciton is the best choice of spec until you are full clearing SSC and TK since at that point you have enough spell crit to make Destro more viable and beneficial to raid dmg, mostly because affliciton scales very easily because spell dmg is so easy to obtain and increases your dmg by huge ammounts due to compounding variables. One of the other factors that makes CoD worse is how debuffs get knocked off if you reach the limit, which is it kicks off the oldest ones first. In that case the duration of 60 sec hurts more for CoD.

Cheers
    1. CoD doesn't crit as stated above
    2. You spent 3s casting CoD, but you spent 7.5s casting CoA, so you can add to CoD more 4.5s of damage, which would easily outdps CoA.

I prefer CoD.

I'm currently running with 2,2k spelldmg, 17% (all-around) crit, 35x hit and 6xx haste.

First of all, I'm specced 0/31/40 - Basically Incine spam spec with wotlk twists.

My rotation - CoD, Immolate, Corruption, Incine spam, etc.

To the Above poster I can say that my CoD hits for around 13-14k in 25 man raid plus it only have to be re-applied once every minute instead of the shitty every 24(or 28) seconds. If you're not affliction with 0,5 curse gcd timer (amplify curse(yes it has been changed, above poster are outdated)) - It means that every time you re-apply your curse you basically loose 1 second of cast time. Considering my incinerates takes 1,9sec to cast means that everytime I do so I loose around 2000-5000damage(depending on crits, hits and debuffs ofc). About the molten core talent I found immolate and corruption to pretty much make it run with a 100% uptime(considering the hidden CD).

Well, I'll keep using CoD, and damage wise in our raid I've been doing a 4,2k DPS on patchwerk without resto/ele sham nor any other caster buffs but Ret pala and moonkin (Yes, there's more than those. - Demo. lock etc.)

Even if CoD and CoA were on par you want CoA ticking every 2 seconds to improve your chance to proc molten core.

Offsprngr is right and pretty much ended this thread, but I wanna take some time to thank Sifon for his informative and insiteful clueless answer which gave so much to this thread and shows what a real troll can do, for all you other trolls out there, try and aspire to be like this one-line champion who can deliver wonderful knowledge to answers. Seriously, a round of /golfclaps for the little gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifon
    I am too old to argue with trolls on the internet, but dammit I can't help myself some days

i was tank a heroic drak'theron and a lock was bored and using this. he got the doomguard to proc twice in that instance i had nvr seen it proc before that run. the doomguards were no biggy to kill and the party got a good laugh.