Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Suggested changes to shadow PvP

Should we try and compile a serious list?

Lets take in that the 3.0.8 changes (Abolish in Shadowform) is allready done.

Here's what I gather so far:

• Inner Fire to proc Blackout.
    • Removal of shared CD and DR on Physic Scream & Divine Hymn.

Besides from that I think something like this could be a good base for ideas:

• Changes to Dispersion, a total redesign perhaps as it's PvE utility is dying as we get more and more spirit on our gear.
    • Making Divine Hymn instant cast.
    • Alot shorter casttime on Mana Burn, as it's pratical useless atm.

Bring your ideas, but lets try keep them realistic.

Re: Suggested changes to shadow PvP

I like it

# Perhaps add a shadow function to Divine Hymn? So if in shadow form it would do something slightly different and not drop the form.
    Idea: Leeching 10% HP and mana - to a max of 50% leeched - from all enemies within 20 yards. Or something like that d:

# Maybe add a talent linked with blackout that allows it to proc on mana burn - since when you try to chainburn, you get countered by all means available.

15+ Year Old Account

Sleep:

Put your target into a deep sleep. Damage done to your target can break the sleep.

x% of base mana
    10 seconds duration
    45 seconds cooldown

Basically hex
    IIRC priests had sleep way back in vanilla wow beta.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Incapacitate Shadows
    Your target consumes all your damage over time spells, incapacitating them for up to 10 seconds. Does no damage but damaging the target breaks the effect.
    30 second cooldown
    20% of base mana.

This will allow you to quickly DoT and stun someone to get away, the cooldown and high mana cost make sure it's not too OP, but it will allow you to get away.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Axedeo
    Incapacitate Shadows
    Your target consumes all your damage over time spells, incapacitating them for up to 10 seconds. Does no damage but damaging the target breaks the effect.
    30 second cooldown
    20% of base mana.

This will allow you to quickly DoT and stun someone to get away, the cooldown and high mana cost make sure it's not too OP, but it will allow you to get away.
    Uh nice idea. But I would also love some spell that consumes all dots on the target and does instant damage for them. Like DKs can do, and destro warlocks. That would be sweet and give us a much needed burst. It could stun too
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

[quote=xec ]
    patch 3.08 changes

- dispersion now deals instantly aoe damage that blows to death all units in 40 yards radius (in addition also automaticly deletes accounts of any rogue that is affected by dispersion aoe in this time and creates a brand new, gnome deathknight account)
    [/quote

oh the orc made a funney!

GJ MATE KEEP IT UP
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by xec
    patch 3.08 changes

- dispersion now deals instantly aoe damage that blows to death all units in 40 yards radius (in addition also automaticly deletes accounts of any rogue that is affected by dispersion aoe in this time and creates a brand new, gnome deathknight account)
    Oh look a warrior troll, no orc, no troll, no orc, no troll, no idiot, no orc, no troll, now gtfo, idiot troll.

Nightmare (replace dispersion)
    Puts all enemies in a 10 yard radius to sleep and reduces their HP by 1% per second for up to 10 seconds.
    2 minute cooldown
    28% of base mana.

Shadow mist
    Reduces the chance to get hit by 50%, 45 sec Cooldown

like cloud that the harpys have? <.<

Dark Vengeance (DMG spell mostly ><)
    The damage taken will be returned but only 1% of it and makes your Vampiric Embrance do damage for 45% of your shadow word pain.

Eye of the Shadow
    when active you take 20% less damage.
    Duration, 1.5min
    Cooldown 2 min
    25% base mana cost
    Would it be op if it was passive?

Over 'n out

Why don't make dispersion more usefull by adding a healing effect like ''Heal yourself for 40% of your total health'' Wasn't it suppose to heal from the begining? Now's only good for making the opponent in arena change target from you Or why not make fear castable while stunned + can't be resisted <:?

New spells do not get implemented; sharing your idea, no matter how excellent it is, probably won't help. In order to get changes, they have to be based on already-implemented talents and abilities.

Yep, I was hoping for more feedback like the ideas I gathered for the intial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkýfinger
    Nightmare (replace dispersion)
    Puts all enemies in a 10 yard radius to sleep and reduces their HP by 1% per second for up to 10 seconds.
    2 minute cooldown
    28% of base mana.
    I really like this idea to be honest

What priests need are features that make them less attractive as nuke-targets in pvp I think. There should be more to deciding whom to go for in arena than the old "Shaman! Nuke the shaman! No wait, there's a PRIEST!!" that we're all so sick off by now. Sadly we have general squishiness, poor kiting and panic buttons that don't last very long or remove all debuffs which means that you get very good value out of any damage that you put on a priest. There is also a priest's well-known inability to use the oh-so-scary mana burn if focused (spell pushback changes and Improved Shadow Form helps a little with that, but I doubt that most opponents will know, or care, about that). Discipline priests also just got a lovely spell saying "I am better at healing my teammates than I am at healing myself, so you should kill me first", but this was about shadow.

I like the thought of Inner Fire proccing Blackout. I reckon it's as easy to implement as adding "Your Inner Fire spell damages the attacker for 50 shadow damage when a charge is consumed" to a talent or glyph. Adding it to Shadowform could work, that talent needs some more text anyway, doesn't it?

I would also consider letting dispelling the priest's buffs and debuffs proc Blackout on the dispeller (by hurting them slightly). There might not be a lot of dispelling going on at the moment (why use a global cooldown on purge when you can use it to do 5000 damage?), but when things settle down there will be, and next to survivability some form of protection for our Inner Fire and dots will probably be called for.

I won't try to redesign the hymns. I think they need to be redesigned, but I'm content to leave that one to Blizzard.

Dispersion is okay. Maybe it could get a glyph that ups it's pvp value a little, but nothing big needed here in my opinion. Something I would welcome is if it would remove physical debuffs and/or poisons (by making the priest immune for the duration). That would help the priest get away a little (crippling poison, hamstring etc) and his healer heal him up (wound poison, mortal strike, aimed shot). That could make people less inclined to focus the shadow priest as well since removed debuffs are debuffs that need to be reapplied.

Oh, I thought of another good one that also tries to address the issue with being a melee-magnet in pvp. Add this to a talent, perhaps Shadow Power since it's not all that good for resilienced pvp as it is (the gear has crit on it, but 4% from talents is very low compared to most classes, and the benefits of critting in a pvp spec are low (nevermind difficulties with managing to cast the spells that can crit)).

"Melee attacks against you have a 2/4/6/8/10% chance to cause your next Mana Burn spell to be instant cast. This effect lasts 10 sec and cannot occur more than every 20 secs."

Quote Originally Posted by Ananan
    Oh, I thought of another good one that also tries to address the issue with being a melee-magnet in pvp. Add this to a talent, perhaps Shadow Power since it's not all that good for resilienced pvp as it is (the gear has crit on it, but 4% from talents is very low compared to most classes, and the benefits of critting in a pvp spec are low (nevermind difficulties with managing to cast the spells that can crit)).

"Melee attacks against you have a 2/4/6/8/10% chance to cause your next Mana Burn spell to be instant cast. This effect lasts 10 sec and cannot occur more than every 20 secs."
    The idea of instant mana burn is nice, but doesn't address survivability in the short term
    Besides, I'd like to see you trying to mana burn a warrior, death knight, feral druid or rogue
    Of course there are retridins, but even when they get OOM, they got tons of stuff to replenish it.

IMO in the current enviromnet, unless you have 2 or 3 snares and the ability to get to range instantly it won't matter what you do to the existing spriest spells.

Dispersion is here to stay, it's not going to get redesigned, suggesting or asking for it is a waste of time. I like dispersion for PvE content, I find it incredibly difficult and somewhat redundant to use in PvP.

Personally I think the changes need to be made to melee, stuns need to be reduced in power, burst damage needs to be toned down, if melee are going to have such a high dps ability to low armor targets then would need to increase spell damage by a vast amount to compensate... personally I don't see any of this happening so it might be an idea to roll a melee class if u want to arena in the top bracket.

Personally I think Blizzard should work on the shadow part of shadow priests. Being that Shadowpriests are not "holy"...Shadowpriests are the opposite. Shadowpriests do damage..Period. Shadowpriests dish out damage, and also damage done to Shadowpriests should be returned to the player/npc doing damage to the shadowpriest. Kind of like you put your fingers in the fire and you will get burned. How bad do you want to put the fire out? Done correctly would fix the "kill the shadowpriest, its an easy target" problem.

Also, melee have too many outs to shadowpriests fear. I understand warlocks can keep a player fear and dotted, however, shadowpriests do not have the luxury. We have one fear that gets trinketed and then 3 seconds later the shadowpriest is dead. (8 seconds if the shadowpriests uses disperson).

I will also mention the rogue stunlocking for 45 seconds, or the pally stun that lasts for ever while the pally kicks my ass spell. Something needs to be done to balance the scales a bit. As of right now, casters do not have many options to live. Basically, what I am trying to say is either take away the "I win button" from the melee classes or give all casters a new ablility that will help tip the scales.

The idea about making shadowpriest dangerous to hit is the most likely one, and also the one I think is the best. Today, if you attack a mage you get slowed or the mage get procs of stuff that do alot of damage.

If we could have blackout procs or something similiar from being attacked with Inner Focus up it could help alot.

It's definitive something Blizzard should try work with. Because the damage reduction from Shadowform is really really not worth talking about today.

I think we'll have to work under the assumption that melee burst damage will be nerfed. There is little point in trying to figure out huge buffs for all the caster classes to survive the almost certain ambush-eviscerate crit combo from rogues etc. Meleers don't survive those too well either, and they certainly won't choose to buff the survivability of every single class through new abilities and such. My concerns are that when that whole thing settles down priests will still look like excellent targets and I had quite enough of that in TBC. So what we need the most are indeed little tweaks and procs that makes people want to hit us less, preferably something that's scary enough to make people reconsider the whole whacking-the-priest-first-is-always-good thing.