Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Disc PVE healing

Quote Originally Posted by Jools
    Disc priest are viable to heal ONLY some dungeons (if tank and your spellpower is fine) but holy is always better. For raid discs are useless.

So, if you are speced to disc and you dont want to respec for daily hc, then you probably can heal this, but like i said, only dungeon.
    I got this far, and then found out someone posted in here and has no clue what they are talking about. Jools, have you done a 25-man? I'm our guild's main discipline priest and trust me, if you ask my fellow guildies if they think I'm useless in a raid, you will not hear "yes" for an answer. Discipline priests do one thing that no other healing class or spec in the game does. Mitigate damage. Less damage = less healing required = more mana for a sustained fight. This lets your boomkin hog his Innervate for his own dps needs, even allows your healers to do a little extra damage on some fights (example: Thaddius). Just like most healing classes and specs, you don't need many of them. We only take two max, usually just one if we have our lone holy pally show up. But for MT healing discipline is far more useful than you think. Also, consider the additions you bring outside of that, primarily Power Infusion. Talented to 1.7 minute cooldown, this can boost a lucky caster's DPS by a far greater chunk than you would realize when cast at least two times (I say two because you generally get a Heroism somewhere, and the two don't stack, so you save it for afterwards). Additional added bonus is Pain Suppersion for fights such as Patchwerk, Maexxna, and Faerlina if you get a frenzy that can't be dispelled. Make a mental note. You should not comment about things until you see someone who knows what they are doing practice them first. Also, a disc priest who knows what to do can heal ANY heroic. I can heal Loken, which some deem a "holy only" fight. It's called Holy Nova. We have an AoE heal, and it does the job nicely.

As to the OP, your tank is bad if he is still having threat issues through shields. Plain and simple. I've done plenty of heroics with plenty of warrior and druid tanks and have not had issues with the ones that have skill. However, I have noticed a bug (and Blizz commented on it) where feral druids are still taking damage through shields. I have not seen if it's been fixed through maintenance or if it's waiting for 3.0.8 yet. A good tank won't mind a discipline priest.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Jools
    Disc priest are viable to heal ONLY some dungeons (if tank and your spellpower is fine) but holy is always better. For raid discs are useless.

So, if you are speced to disc and you dont want to respec for daily hc, then you probably can heal this, but like i said, only dungeon.
    1. disc priests can do any instance like any other healer ive done them all
    2. when bosses hit the tank for 10k its always nice that my shield makes that a 7k or even a 6k (all depends on divine aegis)
    3. (the answer i wanted to post for main topic =D ) what i do is renew prayer of mending and wait till the tank has about 25-30 rage then start PWSing

PW:S is, as stated by nearly everyone, one of my most used spells as a Disc Priest. I pre-cast on every tanking class and it seems to me that Warrior (and Druid for that matter) rage generation is just fine (at least none have ever complained to me post WotLK). I do recall a blue post pre-WotLK that said that rage would be generated through PW:S and Divine Aegis once WotLK was released.

Scratch that... The only class that asks me to hold off on PW:S is Paladins. Apparently it screws with their mana regen, which makes me QQ because my healing strat usually breaks down if I can't shield. Having the shield debuff up not only increases my healing done but the shield itself gives me an extra couple of seconds to throw heals at the other party members (since Disc is terribly ineffiecient in the AoE healing department).

In my opinion Pallys should suck it up and take the shield. Maintaining a high threat ceiling is so easy now that the few ticks of mana regen he could gain without my shield aren't worth the detriment caused to my ability to heal the group. But I may be biased. :-P

Sorry for rambling but thats my take on the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCelt91387
    PW:S is, as stated by nearly everyone, one of my most used spells as a Disc Priest. I pre-cast on every tanking class and it seems to me that Warrior (and Druid for that matter) rage generation is just fine (at least none have ever complained to me post WotLK). I do recall a blue post pre-WotLK that said that rage would be generated through PW:S and Divine Aegis once WotLK was released.

Scratch that... The only class that asks me to hold off on PW:S is Paladins. Apparently it screws with their mana regen, which makes me QQ because my healing strat usually breaks down if I can't shield. Having the shield debuff up not only increases my healing done but the shield itself gives me an extra couple of seconds to throw heals at the other party members (since Disc is terribly ineffiecient in the AoE healing department).

In my opinion Pallys should suck it up and take the shield. Maintaining a high threat ceiling is so easy now that the few ticks of mana regen he could gain without my shield aren't worth the detriment caused to my ability to heal the group. But I may be biased. :-P

Sorry for rambling but thats my take on the whole situation.
    It screws with Bad paladin's mana regen, specifically ones who buff themselves with Kings.

Blessing of Sanctuary is the new Prot blessing, and if they're not using it, they're just bad.

3% damage reduction, and whenever they dodge/block/parry, they gain 2% of their maximum mana, just like that. So realistically, assuming they have proper mitigation, they'll almost never go OoM, only needing top ups to keep their mana high. So tell your Paladin tanks to stop being idiots.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Some warrior tanks still think they're playing Vanilla, where PW:S really did mess with rage gain. I was a prot tank back in those days and getting shielded by a priest was something you shouted about, especially if you over-geared the instance (holding threat on strat 45's while wearing MC kit actually required me to duel wield just to try and get enough rage, and even then losing agro was common place).

In this day and age I haven't seen any decent tank with shield related issues. Paladins gain mana from Blocks and plenty from Spiritual Atunement between shields, warriors are dishing out enough damage to maintain their own rage pool and gain rage from blocks, as are durids and DK's don't care if we wrap them in 47 shields and a house (I wish I could with some DK's recently!).

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    It screws with Bad paladin's mana regen, specifically ones who buff themselves with Kings.

Blessing of Sanctuary is the new Prot blessing, and if they're not using it, they're just bad.

3% damage reduction, and whenever they dodge/block/parry, they gain 2% of their maximum mana, just like that. So realistically, assuming they have proper mitigation, they'll almost never go OoM, only needing top ups to keep their mana high. So tell your Paladin tanks to stop being idiots.
    Hm... I never payed attention to what Blessing they had on themselves. I'll have to look out for that more. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Torture
    Paladins gain mana from Blocks and plenty from Spiritual Atunement between shields, warriors are dishing out enough damage to maintain their own rage pool and gain rage from blocks, as are durids and DK's don't care if we wrap them in 47 shields and a house (I wish I could with some DK's recently!).
    Wholeheartedly agreed about DK tanks. Although I have a friend who switched from Lock to DK once WotLK came out and he is one of the best tanks I've ever run with. Just yesterday I PuG'd Sarth with his guild. I was on main tank heals and he was MT. We tried to do it with one drake up but our DPS (being mostly made up of PuG members) was sorely lacking in that department and I'm proud to say that he and I were usually two of the last five to drop dead (the third was the pally who was also on MT heals). We ended up killing the drake separate and owning Sarth with no drakes, but that much is obvious. (What is also obvious is that I'm not much of a raider and doing Sarth25 is a big deal for me because the only raid I ever did before the pre-WotLK nerf was Kara)

PW:S + Tank doesn't suck = Profit

Honestly, I use PW:S everyting weakened soul is down, and none of my tanks ever have any problems whatsoever. People are just getting upset over nothing because they think assume it's a big deal, when in reality it isn't. If a tank thinks he's getting no threat because of PW:S he probably wont. Tanks that realise it really only makes as very small difference will continue to be good tanks.

Pennance when up / needed, Flash heal in between when needed, and PW:S every time weakened soul is down if there isn't still a shield up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndrunner
    Pennance when up / needed, Flash heal in between when needed, and PW:S every time weakened soul is down if there isn't still a shield up.
    That's exactly my rotation but I throw in Renew and PoM for good measure. Power Infusion is great to cast on other casters during boss fights and Pain Suppression is my lovely "OH SHIT!" button. Also, as a Blood Elf I pop Arcane Torrent whenever its up during a fight for the extra little boost to my mana. :-P

Ooh, yeah, renew is always up on me tank, and PoM whenever the situation would make it handy.

Haha, I usually PoM the melee whenever the CD is up. Let it bounce around in there for a while give me a bit of extra time to keep the tank up rather than worrying about the melee whacking away on autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndrunner
    PW:S + Tank doesn't suck = Profit

Honestly, I use PW:S everyting weakened soul is down, and none of my tanks ever have any problems whatsoever. People are just getting upset over nothing because they think assume it's a big deal, when in reality it isn't. If a tank thinks he's getting no threat because of PW:S he probably wont. Tanks that realise it really only makes as very small difference will continue to be good tanks.

True. I have only had one complaint about PW:S. And that was from a bear tank that i think was half brain dead about playing his class.

Well...as i priest i primarily levels as disc even before Wrath came out...not gonna lie...

And in my experience your safe using PwS on any tank you just gotta know when to use it

Dk: whenever you can

Druid:after pull starts and initial rage is generated

warrior: same as druid

Pally: whenever you can keeping in mind that he needs mana

And honestly in raids or heroics 6k isnt going to last more than 5 seconds so its not gonna gimp anything at all...

and u need taht debuff....thats 4% more crit...

unless you have a tank with some godly armor thats onlt get hit by a boss for like 1k a swing....ull be fine....let them QQ all they want cause in the end ur the healer and ur needed

Quote Originally Posted by Rivar
    Druid:after pull starts and initial rage is generated
    Enrage, bears generate more rage than warriors anyways. 5 extra rage per crit, 3 rage per dodge? Umm, yes please.

warrior: same as druid
    Warriors do enough damage that after a Bloodrage, their rage pool fills itself up and sustains itself now.

Pally: whenever you can keeping in mind that he needs mana
    Forget a Paladin has a blue bar. With the changes to Blessing of Sanctuary, any of his avoidance/mitigation will generate his OWN mana bar. So assuming he doesn't suck, he'll get more from that than he will from your heals in the first place.

ull be fine....let them QQ all they want cause in the end ur the healer and ur needed
    Or, try to politely tell him the game around shields has changed now. Attitudes like this make you seem like the next prima donna, and full of crap. But that's just my 2 coppers' worth.

People don't want to hear that they're wrong...i just continue to shield them and don't try to explain myself just to get to the point where i'm frustrated...although i've had little to no encounters where someone has repeatedly told me to not shield them... But i'm still gonna say u can wait to shield some classes...i use the shield as a bonus for the Borrowed time effect as well, so no use in not letting them take a little damage first is there?

after reading tons of posts and getting alot of different answers, I still have a couple questions. If you only had 1 priest would you take a disc or holy with equal gear and skill for 10 mans. Sounds like disc priests are good for raiding as long as you have a holy as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbasch
    after reading tons of posts and getting alot of different answers, I still have a couple questions. If you only had 1 priest would you take a disc or holy with equal gear and skill for 10 mans. Sounds like disc priests are good for raiding as long as you have a holy as well?
    It more depends on group makeup, if you're lacking a resto druid, or Holy Paladin, Discipline would probably be right up your alley; Holy shines if you don't have a Shaman, but is capable of filling realistically any role.

If you have only one priest slot, take whatever comes first. If you have two, take two holy or a disc and a holy, because after the first (disc) priest, their effectiveness goes through the floor.