Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Geming out the IceBane set...

Obviously Def goes down if you equip this, so what would be the best gem's for the difference on tanking? Just straight Def Gem's or a mix of like Stam and Def?
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

Re: Geming out the IceBane set...

wtf are you using this gear for?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    wtf are you using this gear for?

Sapphiron in Naxx
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

15+ Year Old Account

Resist gear is not needed at all for any reason in the game so far. You can take down Sapphiron with less then 100 resist.

But to answer your question, you need to be defensed capped first and for most then you can worry about stam

15+ Year Old Account

Unless you can stay capped without any defense on the pieces, then use defense gems. If you can stay capped, then use whatever you feel like using. Stam gems, parry/stam/ dodge/stam, expertise/stam, str/stam, etc. It's really about personal choice, some tanks like to go pure stam and others like to strike a balance between avoidance and health.
    Mímir, 100 Night Elf Hunter, Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Conall
    Sapphiron in Naxx
    Thanks captain obvious.

The fact that anyone needs frost resist for nax is appalling.

We did it with 0 resist our first 10-man clear and didn't know there was an achievement until we got it.

Thanks captain obvious.

The fact that anyone needs frost resist for nax is appalling.

We did it with 0 resist our first 10-man clear and didn't know there was an achievement until we got it.
    dont be such a jackass like you know everything, you did ask. and yes its not NEEDED, but it does help if there are groups that dont know the fight too well or that are undergeared. it just makes the fight easier on the healers.

As an MT you shouldnt have to worry about wearing resist gear if your raid is going to run with resist gear then you are the only one that doesnt need it due to the fact that saph hits like a truck and you cant sacrifice any mitigation for resistance as the blizzard wont hurt much and the aura tick dosnt hit for more then 800 every so often with GoW or other assorted buffs( Frost resist totem, pally aura). The easiest way i found out was when i was running my guild through on our first saph kills was to just bring in a 3rd healer as a majority of people were still in blues and the odd heroic loot having a CoH preist and Resto druid made it alot easier.

hope this helped GL on saph

On the topic of Saph and FR gear, is there any non-tank FR plate that should be picked up for a holy pally (who has never done the fight obviously )?

none of the FR plate has anything special.

It's just a truckload of stamina and 2 sockets.

And frost resist.

Really though, if you can't get 10-man or 25 man with just frost resist aura or frost resist totems you need to reconsider your raiding career.

Ask yourself, why did you drop 3k+ gold or waste mats on a resist set for a fight that doesn't actually require resist gear?

Not to mention the stats on resist sets is such that if I swap out 2-3 pieces of gear, I fall into crit territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Ask yourself, why did you drop 3k+ gold or waste mats on a resist set for a fight that doesn't actually require resist gear?

Not to mention the stats on resist sets is such that if I swap out 2-3 pieces of gear, I fall into crit territory.
    Exactly.

And i got called a jackass for it : (

edit: And if anyone should be wearing it your casters/tanks shouldn't be.

Only melee really need any frost resist. Range can pewpew from a much larger area than melee can. Thus much more easily avoiding the blizzards.

While you get some elitists that feel its not needed, some people are just more in touch with movement and what not, there is no harm in buying/making it heck I even used it to help my healers get used to the fight (still Def capped).

Gemming/Enchanting has always been a personal preference thing, but for the fight in question make sure your Def capped and Keep your health up. Eventually you can feel comfortable enough with the fight to drop pieces out and eventually not use it at all, but if your learning and feel you need it do so. I have no issues with Adamson or those like him but just cause it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Sure you can throw out your L2P and comments like reconsidering your raiding career but it helps if you just need a edge, not everyone is perfect like you Mr Ret Pally.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

you can do calculus without a calculator, but I'd much prefer to use one

Tanks don't need FR, the rest of the raid however will fare better with at least 2 pieces on.

none of the FR plate has anything special.

It's just a truckload of stamina and 2 sockets.

And frost resist.

Really though, if you can't get 10-man or 25 man with just frost resist aura or frost resist totems you need to reconsider your raiding career.
    Actually the chestpiece has 3 sockets, get your facts straight before you bash on people wanting to use frost resist. Sure it's not hard without it, but it's his gold he can spend it how he likes.

Exactly.

And i got called a jackass for it : (

edit: And if anyone should be wearing it your casters/tanks shouldn't be.

Only melee really need any frost resist. Range can pewpew from a much larger area than melee can. Thus much more easily avoiding the blizzards.
    It isn't necessary but it makes it a ton easier for new guilds who hadn't seen this fight before..Not to mention for new guilds sarth+3 MT is recommended to wear this gear.. Aside from that if a guild dosn't need their casters to be in FR gear their meele shouldn't need it either.. They should L2 move imo :P

you can do calculus without a calculator, but I'd much prefer to use one
    lol I like that

@OP Straight def gems if you need crit cap still or else go stamina or expertise/hit ect if you're guild is up to the point where you know the fights and you don't need all the help you can get sort of thing.

I got a feeling that when ever ICEcrown comes out we are going to need frost resist.

just a hunch

To answer your question, make sure you have your avoidance cap, then go stam.

As for the resi itself. My guild goes 10 and 25, and we do use resi, when we remember it :P No, it's not necessary, but as a pala healer, I can tell you that it makes it a lot easier to heal. Think of it as Hyjal with shadow resi: you can do it without, but so many bosses become a joke with the resi sets.

I even use mine for Kel'thuzad, since most of the damage (on dds and healers anyways) is from frost bolts, and all other damage is easily avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daamus
    I got a feeling that when ever ICEcrown comes out we are going to need frost resist.

just a hunch
    I have solid proof that Blizzard wasn't throwing resist fights into the game to purposely slow down progression anymore.

Just a fact.