New to Dk tanking,need help.

Hey there fellow wow players.

Well the thing is i was going for a blood dps spec but yesterday to help some guildies out i tanked the arena in Zul'drak.

Poped frost presence and i actually had fun tanking,didnt get the sensation that i was actually tanking with like my old retired pala but i was just doing dps.
    Granted i was a bit over the lvl and that event is easy,i would start with some normal runs to get the "feeling" and then move on to some heroics.

So i was thinking of getting myself a set of gear for tanking heroics.
    Now this is my current dps spec:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...da&n=Deathbull

Its the standard 51/13/7 spec but i did change a couple of talents around,i feel confortable with it so far....but hey im new to dk so im still learning hehe.

Thing is once i get my myself some nice tanking gear will this spec be good enough for heroics?
    Would be a hassle to keep on changing specs,my idea is to keep if possible this spec and just change gear if i need to tank or dps.

Since i only informed myself on stats and gear for dps i dont know much about the tank requirements for heroics.
    I think its like 545 defense but apart from that i got no idea what other stat requirements i need.

I know its a long post with a lot of questions but i could use some help with this.

Thanks in advance for all the replies guys,really apreciate it

P.S:Merry Christmas
    BUY A JOCKSTRAP AND PLACE YOUR CELLPHONE IN IT, LADIES LOVE IT WHEN THEY KNOW YOU HAVE THE MANPOWER TO ANSWER CALLS FROM YOUR CROTCH.

Re: New to Dk tanking,need help.

For some gear info, check out the sticky, its a pretty good list
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this forum are getting worser and worser

Quote Originally Posted by Baldymcgee
    For some gear info, check out the sticky, its a pretty good list
    Well thanks for the reply but i didnt ask for a gear list,money isnt a problem so i already got both of the bs tempered pieces and the rest im getting with rep,dont think ill have any problem reaching the required stats for heroics.

Mostly wanted to know if ill have any problems tanking heroics with my current spec,and how much of the other stats(besides def) i would need.

Thanks
    BUY A JOCKSTRAP AND PLACE YOUR CELLPHONE IN IT, LADIES LOVE IT WHEN THEY KNOW YOU HAVE THE MANPOWER TO ANSWER CALLS FROM YOUR CROTCH.

You are shooting for 540 defense. After that, HP. Then dodge.. then parry.. then str.

Deleted

blood - Blade barrier
    Frost - toughness
    unholy - anticipation

the core 3 talents for any tanking build thats the main things your missing, if your serious about tanking heriocs there like a requirement.

and when 3.08 goes live - blood - vampiric blood, +20% maximum health for the duration a very good tanking talent when it hits live

Quote Originally Posted by xsynisterx
    blood - Blade barrier
    Frost - toughness
    unholy - anticipation

the core 3 talents for any tanking build thats the main things your missing, if your serious about tanking heriocs there like a requirement.

and when 3.08 goes live - blood - vampiric blood, +20% maximum health for the duration a very good tanking talent when it hits live
    I would add imp icy touch in there as well since it's a tier 1 talent and it further reduces enemy attack speed so less damage!

clicky for armory

Quote Originally Posted by xsynisterx
    blood - Blade barrier
    Frost - toughness
    unholy - anticipation

Thanks for the info,yeah will have to change my spec then to get those 3 talents,was hoping on being able to tank with the same spec i have now.
    Just being able to dps or tank with a change of gear,but as i see now i have to relocate some talents.

Probably have to wait till we get dual spec to be able to do this,dont think there is a nice spec for doing both right?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Holybull
    Thanks for the info,yeah will have to change my spec then to get those 3 talents,was hoping on being able to tank with the same spec i have now.
    Just being able to dps or tank with a change of gear,but as i see now i have to relocate some talents.

Probably have to wait till we get dual spec to be able to do this,dont think there is a nice spec for doing both right?
    If your serious about tanking heroics/raids you really do need to invest a few talents points into tanking abilities

but dont loose heart... with a deep unholy tanking build i was still able to dish out about 1800-2200dps single target in naxx (without gargoyle) with relativly poor DPS gear.

deathknights arnt like other classess in that tanking != poor DPS

So...Was it just a rumor that frost is the tank spec? ???
    Also, How important is imp Death and Decay. It would be very nice but the way i see it, I'm sacrificing an prolonged Frost Fever. Which is more useful to tank, frost fever or 15sec D&D cooldown?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Antipallyx
    So...Was it just a rumor that frost is the tank spec? ???
    Also, How important is imp Death and Decay. It would be very nice but the way i see it, I'm sacrificing an prolonged Frost Fever. Which is more useful to tank, frost fever or 15sec D&D cooldown?
    Yeah thats a rumor there is no definite "tank spec" you can tank with frost and unholy, and hopefully after 3.08 blood aswell.

I always go for the morbidity for that 15sec DnD cooldown, i didnt at once to see what happens and i found i keep looking at my DnD going "WHY ARE YOU STILL ON COOLDOWN!?1!" so id always go for that, but depends how often you use it tbh :-)

theres alot of DK tanking is down to personal style andpreference. thats one reason i love it some much :-)

Well, now that I know I want imp D&D, I was wondering what I should replace to have it. I'd like to stay frost for Howling Blast (it's just my favorite tank spell).

Here is my spec:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000

i say drop Icy reach, Frost Aura and Acclimation....
    7 talent points can be spent so much better...

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000

How is that? I kept icy reach because it helped me just too many times for me to drop it for something that I don't necessarily need.

2 points in Outbreak in the Unholy tree are much ~much~ better spent someplace else. In the Blood tree, your 2 points in Two-Handed Spec would be better used in Bladed Armor. Bladed Armor is hands-down the best dps/tps per-point for tanks, not only because you're using spells too, not just melee attacks, but it actually adds more dps to your melee than the 2hw spec does per point as well. Other than that your spec looks pretty solid for 5-man content, maybe even 10-man.

For 25 you'd want to ditch Icy Talons and Improved Icy Talons though since you should be able to count on having an enchance shammy to supply that, which would allow you for 2/2 Merciless Combat, 2/3 Runic Power Mastery, and an additional 2 points in Blood or Unholy somewhere. With your spec if you changed what I mentioned initally, you'd have 4/5 Bladed Armor, so you could do 5/5 Bladed Armor and 1/2 2h spec if you wanted. Personally I have 5/5 Bladed Armor and put that 1 last point back into Unholy for Corpse Explosion. It's useless now, but when the patch finally comes out, it's getting its damage doubled and its cost changed from 1 Unholy to 40 runic power. I love being an aoe agro magnet, so that was perfect for me. However, really I don't have problems holding aoe agro anyway, of anything except warlock Seed of Corruption spam, and occassionally I'll even hold agro through that. So the 1 extra point is probably best used in 2hw spec, assuming you do over 50% of your damage with some sort of melee hits, otherwise stick it in Dark Conviction.. Or if you do over 33% of your damage from Obliterates + Blood Strikes, could even put it to good use with Subversion.