Suggestion for Disc Renew

We all know that Renew does what a Disc Priest just does in that it softens the impact that a tank's health bar is gonna drop. Renew works wonders for this, it's true, but in the same amount of time, you could do a flash heal that heals roughly the same amount, for the same amount of mana, causes rapture, can crit, causes Aegis, blah blah blah.

Anyways, after looking at Glyph of Starfall, and the Shadow talent, Pain and Misery, here's me thinking, what about a Glyph of Penance?

"Your Penance heals refresh the duration of your Renew on the target"

Would that not fix our little problem, and make it not just usable but even desirable?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Re: Suggestion for Disc Renew

There will be more Glyphs with Patch 3.1. Also, stop writing in that horrible colour, have nobody ever taught you about colour contrasts?

Teal on Light Grey is just wrong in every possible way. Black is the best contrast colour, thus you should write in black.

I'd love to see something complex happening with renew allowing you to use it to top off shields.

For eample, you PW:S your target, then each renew tick buffs the shield by that amount instead of healing. But I think I may be living in happy la-la land if that's ever going to happen!

So, because my personal eutopia is unlikely, I'd say using the starfall glyph mechanic with penance and renew sound like a solid idea.

And I don't mind the teal, but that's just me

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    There will be more Glyphs with Patch 3.1. Also, stop writing in that horrible colour, have nobody ever taught you about colour contrasts?

Teal on Light Grey is just wrong in every possible way. Black is the best contrast colour, thus you should write in black.
    Light Grey? I'm getting a beige and a darker tint of beige, maybe your settings (or your monitor) are off?

Heh, sorry Torture, seems like the blues are thinking of nerfing Disc shielding (Divine Aegis more than PW:S). But given that I don't expect we'll see any shield buffs besides the glyph we've already got.

This of course is pure speculation on my part.

Its a good idea if they do not already have it planned.

But do not put posts in full color, I got in trouble for it from an admin :\.

-=Slavemaker=-

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCelt91387
    Heh, sorry Torture, seems like the blues are thinking of nerfing Disc shielding (Divine Aegis more than PW:S). But given that I don't expect we'll see any shield buffs besides the glyph we've already got.

This of course is pure speculation on my part.
    I read that blue on the front page, but what are they actually considering? Or have they mentioned it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    I read that blue on the front page, but what are they actually considering? Or have they mentioned it yet?
    It's simply a case of Aegis not being allowed to stack with itself, although how the overwriting mechanics work I'm yet to work out (most recent overwrites, or largest overwrites). It still stacks with shield, they were just a little worried about the implications of a couple of crit stacked disc priests managing to form some sort of enormous Aegis wall on a tank.

Whether we'll see more changes is doubtful, if Aegis didn't stack with shield it would really mess with the whole Disc concept for example. Hopefully they'll revert to maybe 1 Aegis per priest for those raids with more than 1 disc priest, but as it stands it merely solidifies the fact that more than 1 disc priest is a waste at the moment.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

My friend and I were speculating (he's a DK tank and I'm his favorite healer) and we thought that a maximum limit on the amount Divine Aegis could absorb that is x% of the target's health would probably be the best bet. Also that Divine Aegis and PW:S cannot stack even if they are from separate players

The way we figured it was by an example. With x(above) equal to 30 Say I got a huge crit on GHeal (which I never use, but for the sake of argument) and procced a Divine Aegis that would absord 40% of his health in damage. The game mechanic would automatically reduce that number to 30% of his total health. Then say I cast PW:S on him, which, for argument's sake, absorbs 45% of his total health in damage. Thus with those two stacked the total absorption would be 75% of his total. This would also block any other priest from shielding this tank (I believe the error message reads "A more powerful spell is already active") unless their shield was stronger overall.

This however is pure speculation but seems like a good idea in my mind, as a Disc priest myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCelt91387
    Also that Divine Aegis and PW:S cannot stack even if they are from separate players
    If that happened, I would drop Aegis in a heartbeat.

PW:S is on demand, under control and stable. If I couldn't shield a tank because 1 ball of Penance had thrown up a little Aegis then I'd end up breaking my keyboard against a wall, especially if it happened in that key second before the boss is about to hit the tank with 'big-spinning-magical-ball-of-spiky-deathness'tm

Aegis not stacking with itself I can understand, but it has to stack with shield or it's not worth the talent points (unless shield overwrites it).

Armory Link

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    There will be more Glyphs with Patch 3.1.

O Rly? Is there a list of proposed Glyphs out somewheres by chance?

15+ Year Old Account

imo its ok that aegis doesn't stack infinite, but it should be able to stack 3 times with itself nomatter the number of times you crit after that.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

I got a question.... beware

Do you make a shield for the actual amount healed (IE 8k heal to top tank off from 20-24k counts as a 4k heal) or do you also make a *full* shield on a overheal ? (im holy myself, and just wondering it for pvp pretty much)

Quote Originally Posted by eomer
    I got a question.... beware

Do you make a shield for the actual amount healed (IE 8k heal to top tank off from 20-24k counts as a 4k heal) or do you also make a *full* shield on a overheal ? (im holy myself, and just wondering it for pvp pretty much)
    As I understand it, it only works on effective healing, so overheal isn't counted when it works out how big the Aegis is. Normally when anything talks about 'amount healed' or '40% of the amount healed' it will always work on effective healing.

Armory Link

15+ Year Old Account

ye... it does however still make the shield effect when you crit on 100% hp target which stays for abit (not just one hit).
    "Only Jack can zip up."

Quote Originally Posted by Torture
    As I understand it, it only works on effective healing, so overheal isn't counted when it works out how big the Aegis is. Normally when anything talks about 'amount healed' or '40% of the amount healed' it will always work on effective healing.
    So when my second or last tick of penance crits on a full health tank, and I get an Aegis to pop up, its value is zero?

Also: More peoples' opinions on the Glyph of Starfall mechanic for Penance--> Renew?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    So when my second or last tick of penance crits on a full health tank, and I get an Aegis to pop up, its value is zero?

Also: More peoples' opinions on the Glyph of Starfall mechanic for Penance--> Renew?
    I've wondered the same thing, seen Penance crit on a full HP tank and Aegis form, but because Penance Aegis tends to get one shotted anyway it's hard to tell what sort of value it has or whether it's a graphical trigger with a 0 absorb value. My guess is the latter, easier for the game to create a bubble with a zero value than not form a bubble on certain crits.

And I still like it

Armory Link

15+ Year Old Account

easy (sort of) to test through the combatlog at least.

and yes, penance should be able to renew renew through a glyph.
    "Only Jack can zip up."