Whats your WSG strategy?

Maybe it's just me, but it really drives me crazy when people defend the flag. Most of the time the opposing team still makes it past the defenders anyway. Defending leads to the oh so dreadful turtlesong gulch and i often get stuck in a WSG where NO one goes for the flag.

In my opinion, if you gather all 10 players and run together for the flag, this is the best WSG strategy.

1). say you run together w/ all your teamates...the chances of the opposing team running together is slim because there are always some retards twiddling their thumbs in the middle of nowhere. So if you're running as a group, your 10 people should plow through their small groups that are randomly spread out. killing their flag carrier on the way back.

2). say both teams have all 10 people as a group...your group of 10 fights their group of 10 somewhere in the middle. Well your chances of getting the flag are 50/50 here depending on which team has better players/better gear, BUT, even if you do lose. They cap the flag, and the game ends quicker. (or vice versa and your team gets the flag)

Apparently i'm the only one who thinks defending is dumb. I join a wsg and everyone is always screaming defend defend...So my question is: does anyone agree with me? if not, why is defending good?

Re: Whats your WSG strategy?

8 Defend and the Survivalist + healer goes for the flag, the 8 defending plow through the 6-10 attacking 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Irspriest
    In my opinion, if you gather all 10 players and run together for the flag, this is the best WSG strategy.
    Yes.
    As a premade group you can do some other things but I guess you talk about random.
    But even if you have 5-8 retards in your group, if you still simply go for the flag (or the oposing flag carrier) it's the best strategie and defending only makes sense, if you know your flag carrier will make it through and you don't want someone to get away with your flag till he is there.
    So in other words: doing what the bg is made for is the best strategie :>
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

You could pull it off with a good premade, otherwise you're stuck with 9 other scrubs who just want to stay in mid-field trying to destroy the other team and occasionally running for Berserk.
    Sometimes there may be an intelligent healer who will assist you getting the flag or defending.

My point is...if you're not running as a group of 10 and they are...Their 10 are gonna rip through your 5 defending, take the flag, then run back killing your 5 men on offense that are trying to carry the flag back.

Even if you're trading off some for defense and offense...say 3 offense and 7 defense....their 10 are still gonna destroy each group because they're split up.

So if you run as 10, you are more than likely going to have the upper hand because you're gonna destroy their defense, then kill their offense on the way back...

There is no harm in letting them pick up the flag...its just making sure you kill them on the way back.

I'm sorry but i still dont see any valid reason why splitting up is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Bainz
    You could pull it off with a good premade, otherwise you're stuck with 9 other scrubs who just want to stay in mid-field trying to destroy the other team and occasionally running for Berserk.
    Sometimes there may be an intelligent healer who will assist you getting the flag or defending.
    My point is to show those "scrubs" that fighting in the middle is useless because you can get your HKs while running together as a team destroying the smaller groups

My point is...if you're not running as a group of 10 and they are...Their 10 are gonna rip through your 5 defending, take the flag, then run back killing your 5 men on offense that are trying to carry the flag back.

Even if you're trading off some for defense and offense...say 3 offense and 7 defense....their 10 are still gonna destroy each group because they're split up.

So if you run as 10, you are more than likely going to have the upper hand because you're gonna destroy their defense, then kill their offense on the way back...

There is no harm in letting them pick up the flag...its just making sure you kill them on the way back.

My point is to show those "scrubs" that fighting in the middle is useless because you can get your HKs while running together as a team destroying the smaller groups
    Peeling the FC's healers off him = GG. That is all you need to do on D. Fuck the FC, take his healers away and it is just a matter of doing 20K damage.

My personal strat: Rush up tunnel and harass the opposite team. Usually get 3-4 people to demount and maybe get a kill or two if I get some help. Half the time we have their flag rushing up tunnel by the time they are just getting there and we steamroll them.

That is some pro shit right there.

My group just stomps the middle. Plain and simple. Healer+Carry are the only ones who walk in and out, rest of the team cuts them off.

Rolling as a group's a good strategy, but if you can't even get there what's the point?

In fact we just got out of a Gulch where I was standing on their graveyard with the flag for a good ten minutes camping them.

Own the midfield, you own the game.

Yes splitting up is in most cases not the best idea, but you won't get 9 rnd's to do what you think is good... because most of them think zerg = win ;7

Quote Originally Posted by Griever
    If by that you mean: never let a single enemy flag carrier get through and let all your flagcarriers get through unharmed then yes... unless the enemy is defending... and if you can do that easily (and if you can't do it easily flag carriers will get through) you can as well camp the enemy fh

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Griever
    Get 2 dps as def, pref a rogue and mage or something. 5 guys having mid, 2 healers among them, and 3 guys getting flag, 1 healer, 1 FC and 1 who can do some nice slow's / CC.

Key is to hold the mid, and push the other team back to the GY to have them locked in and not abel to go for flag, and have a aggresiv midfield team who isnt afraid to meet 3 ppl alone, since the time that you slow those down, other ppl will be in position for taking them as well. Bad thing is if the midfield are waiting for the other team to get to them... Anyone with half a brain avoids a defencegroup, tryes to circle, and takes the flag fast.

This tack works 95% of the time, and only when you are seriusly outgeared/skilled by a diffrent pre you get fucked.

Avreage wintime: 3 min

Quote Originally Posted by Jerazznor
    Peeling the FC's healers off him = GG. That is all you need to do on D. Fuck the FC, take his healers away and it is just a matter of doing 20K damage.

My personal strat: Rush up tunnel and harass the opposite team. Usually get 3-4 people to demount and maybe get a kill or two if I get some help. Half the time we have their flag rushing up tunnel by the time they are just getting there and we steamroll them.

That is some pro shit right there.
    This man speaks truth.

Strats depend on several factors. The biggest one is are we talking pugs or premade? Next thing how many healers?

For solo puggers like myself there are a few things I aim to do. Firstly as the person above me mentioned separate their zerg. If you can separate their healers from the rest of the group all the better. This can be easily done by one person. More than one and you may have defeated the purpose. Usually doing this alone gets our flag back in mid.

When running the flag I always prefer going graveyard side above all else. Its the sneakiest and for whatever reason something horde just dont expect. Plus it affords you the best choice as a flag runner giving you a straight shot up the ramp or detour to the tunnel if you wish. Another thing I don't like doing is not standing on the flag point when keeping the flag till our flag can be returned. Its either kill or be killed. If we kill there is no running away with the flag BS again.

If you choose to defend you can keep as many people on defense as you want BUT only up to the point where you have enough people to actually GET the flag. If it turns out you need all 10 people because you have to break a turtle then so be it. If it turns out you only need 1 person because the other team is dumb then you can keep 9 on D.

One fundamental flaw I see in people's play in WSG is that killing people not necessarily a good thing. Slowing people down, separating people away from other people, draining healer's mana can often be much more important in the long run if you are seeing a long WSG. For instance if you are trying to get your flag back and you kill one of their healers at zero mana now you have to potentially deal with that same healer again only with FULL mana. It would have been much better to just let him kept being drained with viper sting and let them be useless.

Controlling mid can be good but only if you have healing. If you are pugging and you have no healers and the other team does controlling mid is a losing proposition. This plan can actually backfire as it will consolidate the other team which is something you want to avoid if possible.

I don't have a lot of experience with premade vs premade so I will leave that to others.

This is my WSG philosophy and i've probably played a ridiculous number of them between pugs and premades.

If in a PUG:

Send 1-2-3 people for flag, rest go into the middle. No defense.

IF middle is getting pwnd, and you have a strong runner, have everyone but the runner turtle. This is the only way to win if you don't have the gear/classes/skills to beat a superior opponent in face to face open confrontation.

A strong runner can eventually get it across imo, even against premades sometimes. You just have to give them the opportunities without letting your flag leave the FR. Its much easier to turtle box them into that room than to chase them into they'res or let them huddle up support their carrier across mid imo.

Premades:

huddle up and stay together in one big zerg as much as possible. If you have a good/great flag runner which you probably do, then most go mid and try and dominate it. Really as simple as that. I've been with some premades that had a good 1v1 player play defense but only 1, which seemed to work pretty well also since it forces the other team to send a zerg to get the flag, and not take over mid.

All in all mid is generally key. Its just you won't always have the player power to win mid, and at that point you have to adapt or just willingly lose.

I run to midfield, hide behind a tree, and try to catch one of the hordies lagging behind there zerg. I slow and sheep him off his mount and pew pew his face off. After that just try to catch there flag runner in the open CC his buddies and kill him before he makes it into his base. If I do this im happy and the rest of the match doesnt matter just give me my token(s) and let me go turn in my concerted efforts

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

I hate the charge but it has become such a part of the game that it is needed.

I accept the inevitable charge and just set up strategy when that plays itself out.

as for Def,

I say get a feel for the otherside, if they go High D, go 6 on O, 4 on D.

IMO the best way to win is to have a rogue or night elf, that is willing to chill in the flag room to stop that lone other faction person from grabbing and running when ur bringing theirs back.

this is esp bad when ur so close.

being a druid healer, I always go for the flag - I am trying to get my quick cap

75 seconds.. Its harder than you think unless you get realy lucky. I use sprint on the final home run (inside the alliance tunnel)

I have been off a few seconds cus horde attack me

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

What I do is just support / Defense.

Being a frost mage I CC a lot so when peoeple come in the flag room I slow them down for my teammates to finish them off.

Quote Originally Posted by burn
    1 grab flag
    2 /lol at people trying to kill me
    3 cap flag
    4 repeat
    this.

i haven't been in a WSG yet with more than 2-3 people defending the enemy base.
    It's just a game.