AoE Protection Pally

Numb pally here. I am interested in building a set for AoE tanking. What kind of stats should I stack? What comes to mind is shield block and spell damage but I am honestly not sure. Recommendations please?

Thanks

Re: AoE Protection Pally

Shield Block, Dodge*, Stam, AP (not spell power, concecrate scales with AP too), Slow Wep (more dmg on HotR.

Those are the stats that I would reccomend, haven't tried it though.

*mitigates all that hit's damage

Quote Originally Posted by nathor
    Shield Block, Dodge*, Stam, AP (not spell power, concecrate scales with AP too), Slow Wep (more dmg on HotR.

Those are the stats that I would reccomend, haven't tried it though.

*mitigates all that hit's damage
    Wrong, very wrong.

Slow Weapon does not affect HotR...
    If i ever see a prot pally gem or gear for AP then he should re-roll.

If you want to AoE tank, I assume you mean raids, you should get gear that has

Stamina
    Shield Block Rating
    Shield Block Value
    Dodge
    Parry
    Hit ( this is pretty important unless you want DPS pulling threat )
    Str

Get the highest DPS weapon u can find, slow or fast wont make a difference for the actual numbers you see with HoTR, though it does affect some seals so typically a faster weapon is nice, but not required, and wont make a huge difference.

Shield Block Rating > dodge / parry for AoE tanking. Why? Because Block Rating is cheap... meaning you can get a very high block % with just a few pieces of Block rating gear. When you're tanking AoE mobs generally they dont hit very hard, but because theres 10 or so of them the overall damage is about the same. Lets say aoe mobs hit for 2000 and you're block value is 1700 raid buffed... If you have enough block % then you will block every hit making each attack less than 300 damage. You will notice how much less damage this is than only dodging/parry 40% of the attacks.

If you want to AoE tank the best thing you can do is reach the block cap. The block cap is 102.4% or 102.6% i forget. Add your dodge/parry/block + (30% holy shield block) and your 10.6% to be missed (assuming your def capped) , if all those numbers add up to some value greater than 102.6% then you're block capped. That means every hit that is made on you is dodge/parried/blocked/missed.

For me it would be
    Dodge: 21.92%
    Parry: 19.18%
    Block: 22.63% + 30
    Miss: 10.6%

104.55% total avoidance/mitigation every hit that lands on me is blocked/parried/dodged/missed. This makes AoE tanking very easy on the healers.

Thanks for the info Monalin =)

It's only 102.4% for +3 level mobs. Most AOE tanking isn't done against +3 level.

I do agree with your opinions about Shield Block rating for AOE tanking, but not as strongly as you suggest.

Regarding fast/slow weapons, my testing has shown that fast weapons favor SoV, whereas slow weapons favor SoB. Currently I have the 4HM tanking sword, and I primarily use SoB. It takes a lot of AP to get JoV to hit respectably hard, even with the 5 stacks, for some reason.

A fast weapon gives you marginally more TPS with SoV than SoB, and HotR does apply the dot to each enemy it hits, which is handy, but in the end, not game breaking. SoB generally does more threat on the off-target mobs because SoV doesn't stack very quickly with HotR.

Generally speaking, however, for AOE tanking you can't be lazy. You don't want to tunnel vision on one mob, even if it is being focus fired. If you stack BV and STR then your ShoR will hit so hard that you can tap it once and hold aggro till the mob dies, or at least for a good while (with HS and Consecrate). Change targets often. Manage your threat on the off mark targets as you maintain threat on the mark target. Be smart. Rotate your primary when you cast HotR. It makes a big difference.

Monalin, do you have an armory link? Im sitting at around 99% total mitigation and Im having a really hard time getting the last 3 or 4%...just want to see what gear/gems you're using. Your block rating is like 6% higher than mine...Im missing t7 legs witch have alot, but not 6% worth.

And to the OP, what Monalin said is true...high dps weapon > slow weapon all the way (generally weapons with def on them are best...epic sword from heroic UP is a easy to get and a great tanking weapon). Do not stack AP or SP. Prot gear has tons of str now, so youll get tons of ap and block from the gear and divine str talent, and you dont need sp, because youll get all you need from the touched by the light talent in the bottom of the prot tree.

Stick to Stam, Dodge, Parry, Block, Hit and Str. If you want to get into MTing and what not...then youll need some expertise so you dont get parry gibbed.

Quote Originally Posted by monalin
    Wrong, very wrong.

Slow Weapon does not affect HotR...
    If i ever see a prot pally gem or gear for AP then he should re-roll.

If you want to AoE tank, I assume you mean raids, you should get gear that has

Stamina
    Shield Block Rating
    Shield Block Value
    Dodge
    Parry
    Hit ( this is pretty important unless you want DPS pulling threat )
    Str

Get the highest DPS weapon u can find, slow or fast wont make a difference for the actual numbers you see with HoTR, though it does affect some seals so typically a faster weapon is nice, but not required, and wont make a huge difference.

Shield Block Rating > dodge / parry for AoE tanking. Why? Because Block Rating is cheap... meaning you can get a very high block % with just a few pieces of Block rating gear. When you're tanking AoE mobs generally they dont hit very hard, but because theres 10 or so of them the overall damage is about the same. Lets say aoe mobs hit for 2000 and you're block value is 1700 raid buffed... If you have enough block % then you will block every hit making each attack less than 300 damage. You will notice how much less damage this is than only dodging/parry 40% of the attacks.

If you want to AoE tank the best thing you can do is reach the block cap. The block cap is 102.4% or 102.6% i forget. Add your dodge/parry/block + (30% holy shield block) and your 10.6% to be missed (assuming your def capped) , if all those numbers add up to some value greater than 102.6% then you're block capped. That means every hit that is made on you is dodge/parried/blocked/missed.

For me it would be
    Dodge: 21.92%
    Parry: 19.18%
    Block: 22.63% + 30
    Miss: 10.6%

104.55% total avoidance/mitigation every hit that lands on me is blocked/parried/dodged/missed. This makes AoE tanking very easy on the healers.

Hit the nail on the head, this is everything you need to know. I was a little disappointed to see alot of the quest gear without block value then i realized the strength:block value ratio. 1 strength = .5 block value. So if you don't see block value on any gear remember that strength counts as a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtim81
    Monalin, do you have an armory link? Im sitting at around 99% total mitigation and Im having a really hard time getting the last 3 or 4%...just want to see what gear/gems you're using. Your block rating is like 6% higher than mine...Im missing t7 legs witch have alot, but not 6% worth.
    You might be missing the Neck, Gloves, and Shield as well... My hit is fairly low and now that I have my HP and avoidance where i'm comfortable i'll be gearing a little bit more for some hit.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...fist&n=Monalin

Quote Originally Posted by Arkamis
    Regarding fast/slow weapons, my testing has shown that fast weapons favor SoV, whereas slow weapons favor SoB. Currently I have the 4HM tanking sword, and I primarily use SoB. It takes a lot of AP to get JoV to hit respectably hard, even with the 5 stacks, for some reason.

A fast weapon gives you marginally more TPS with SoV than SoB, and HotR does apply the dot to each enemy it hits, which is handy, but in the end, not game breaking. SoB generally does more threat on the off-target mobs because SoV doesn't stack very quickly with HotR.

Generally speaking, however, for AOE tanking you can't be lazy. You don't want to tunnel vision on one mob, even if it is being focus fired. If you stack BV and STR then your ShoR will hit so hard that you can tap it once and hold aggro till the mob dies, or at least for a good while (with HS and Consecrate). Change targets often. Manage your threat on the off mark targets as you maintain threat on the mark target. Be smart. Rotate your primary when you cast HotR. It makes a big difference.
    You're 100% correct. Keep changing targets consistently, more so if you're using CoV because you can get 5 stacks on quite a few mobs and like the OP said. HoTJ will hit all targets with the Seal.

I have been using SoB recently because I feel its better threat. For AoE tanking healers don't usually have a hard time keeping me up so the little extra damage i take with SoB is negligible. The other reason I like SoB is that it is more snap agro than the alternative SoV, and when you AoE tank the most important thing is getting aggro quick before it peels off and runs for the dps.

Once your mobs start running off to the DPS then things can get a little hectic. Because while you're trying to chase down the few mobs that are running off, you're not getting any more threat on the mobs that are still on you, so essentially you will loose those too.

Some tricks i've learned.

Get the HealBot add-on
    1) Set it up where you can click someones name and it casts Righteous Defense
    2) Set it up where you can shift-click someones name to cast Hand of Salvation
    3) Set it up where you can alt-click someones name to cast Hand of Protection

HealBot will also show you who's pulling agro by putting little red bars above and below their health bar. This makes is easy to taunt it off the DPS who pull agro.

does it only add red bars on defaul Blizz UI or will it add it to other frames like Pitbull or XPerl

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    does it only add red bars on defaul Blizz UI or will it add it to other frames like Pitbull or XPerl
    I assume it works the same with any UI mod, however I am not 100% sure because I don't use Xperl or Pitbull

reason i ask is because my bars are currently colored by class and then the color changes to Red when they pull aggro. But Since DKs are red, it's not working too well in WOTLK.

I use healbot to tank AND heal. It's GREAT. Healbot, NOT healbot continued, continues is the next version and i like the first version better. I make my middle scroll button "Taunt" and shift+ left click for things like LoH and BoP etc. For healing i'll make my middle click "Holy Shock". And another thing about healbot is that its SO EASY to use and modify. I dont use any REAL UI mods besides Healbot, i like the orginal wow bars personlly.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilhealz
    I use healbot to tank AND heal. It's GREAT. Healbot, NOT healbot continued, continues is the next version and i like the first version better. I make my middle scroll button "Taunt" and shift+ left click for things like LoH and BoP etc. For healing i'll make my middle click "Holy Shock". And another thing about healbot is that its SO EASY to use and modify. I dont use any REAL UI mods besides Healbot, i like the orginal wow bars personlly.
    Yeah I never thought that I'd use it for anything other than healing, but its proved quite useful for tanking, and I think every pally tank should get it and learn how to get all the features working.