Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What exactly will make blood a good tanking spec once the patch is out?

Cant remember where i saw something about the blood talent changes for when the patch comes out.
    I tried the unholy and frost but i prefer to keep my blood talent spec,anyone got some info on what changes(for tanking) will the blood tree receive?

thanks
    BUY A JOCKSTRAP AND PLACE YOUR CELLPHONE IN IT, LADIES LOVE IT WHEN THEY KNOW YOU HAVE THE MANPOWER TO ANSWER CALLS FROM YOUR CROTCH.

Re: What exactly will make blood a good tanking spec once the patch is out?

aoe heart strike i believe

One ability (I forget which) gains a last stand type effect. I'm not entirely convinced this will put blood on par with the other two specs for tanking as bone shield and unbreakable armor actually reduce the incoming damage in their own way.

Cleave-like heart strike is just an AoE buff. If you can't hold AoE threat with any spec DK before, you fail.

Vampiric blood will add +20% health for the duration other then the current effect.
    heart strikes 2 targets.
    pestilence damage increased via bloody strikes.
    will of the necropolis lowering damage taken by 15% when you are under 35% health.
    blood presence from 2 to 4%
    blood aura from 2 to 4%.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthstar
    Vampiric blood will add +20% health for the duration other then the current effect.
    heart strikes 2 targets.
    will of the necropolis lowering damage taken by 15% when you are under 35% health.
    blood aura from 2 to 4%.
    Blood presence is not that useful if you have to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Brince
    Blood presence is not that useful if you have to tank.
    true , well blood aura alone will make it up in frost presence i guess.

true , well blood aura alone will make it up in frost presence i guess.
    Well, blood aura too is quite useless in tanking, since you aren't dealing very much damage in the first place 4% isnt going to keep you from dying if the healer isn't doing a good job. IMO, blood still isn't going to work for tanking, Howling blast hits all targets not just 2, and Acclimation stacked with Frost aura buffs any magic resistance up to 230 which is very hard to just pass up.

I understand blizz is trying to make Blood viable for tanking but i don't believe these changes are going to put Blood spec in par with Frost.

Its mainly the fact that you'll have 20% HP and a 50% bonus healing to yourself up for half of every fight (assuming you glyph vamp blood, which you should have if you're a blood tank). Heart strike aoe is just nice considering you're losing HB/UB.

heart strikes 2 targets.
    blood aura from 2 to 4%.

Hmm, Vampiric Blood getting a Last Stand-like effect and Blood Aura = only two things that benefit tanking directly imo, Heart Strike being a Cleave, nice, but you do not have many problems with aggro, same with pestilence. WotN looks nice, however Ardent Defender is better by 15%. If you are under 35% in a raid situation, you are in a severe danger of getting one shooted by the boss, WotN or not. Perhaps make it absorb a killing blow and heal you by 7%/14%/20% of it every one minute. So for example you have Rank 3 WotN, you get hit by a blow that would kill you by 100, and you heal back 20. I think this would help a bit since you might be prone to burst damage with the nerfing of Icebound Fortitude.
    Snoop, is somebody a bigger boss than Chapyl?

I do not believe that blood aura is worthless as a tank. I'm not 80 yet (76) but just as an example, rune strike + crits are about 5k. With more gears (and including the RS nerf) this should still heal you for about 150 to 200 at lvl 80. Yes we have like umpteen million health, but if you combo the minor healing regens like this, with bloodworms and vampiric blood it's a noticible life battery for yourself.

WotN still seems rather worthless, though I've never been in that position where I was barely not killed by a oneshot (I'm not bragging, but I am rather inexperienced with it).

The good thing about the buff to vampiric blood is that just about every blood DK already gets it - they're just making it better.

My favorite change in this has to be heart strike. Anti-haste was pretty cool, but cleave with 200% crit damage +45% more talented with 9% extra crit rate and only at the cost of 1 blood rune = zomg awesomes.

Blood aura is a worthless aura to tank in.

There's two reasons, one being that you take alot more damage in blood aura and number two being that you will make really, reallly bad threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshment

There's two reasons, one being that you take alot more damage in blood aura and number two being that you will make really, reallly bad threat.
    Except that they are buffing both Blood Presence and Blood Aura, which is token aura of Blood (obviously) and Blood Aura is passive, regardless to your current Presence
    Snoop, is somebody a bigger boss than Chapyl?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshment

Read Aura not Presence

A lot of you are mistaking blood PRESENCE with blood AURA. The aura is the constant thing regardless of your presence, while blood presence would rape you if you tanked in it.

Deleted

@Topic: Nothing. It's gonna be decent, but not good.

Eh lots of misinformed posts in this thread, dunno why people think having blood aura will kill you faster lol. People are looking at specifics instead of the overall whole picture that will be blood tanks next patch. As blood you're going to want to be more of a passive mitigation tank, you'll want to go stam crazy on your gear and have avoidance more of your 2nd priority. This will take full advantage of vamp blood. Dk's are getting a nice passive mitigation buff next patch so the biggest disadvantage of blood that it has no mitigation cd's isn't going to be as bad cause the spike dmg that we take will be less. Couple this with vamp blood glyph that makes it go for 30 seconds plus a last stand effect makes for a very good cd. Spell deflection is very good and will of the necro will be great as well, will help a lot for spike dmg as your healers will have more time to react if you catch a big burst on you.

Blood's main weakness is that it does not have a cooldown to reduce incoming dmg. Since Dk's take the most dmg if we get hit, this lack of further mitigation can mean blood dk's can get bursted down a lot faster than unholy or frost tanks. We're getting about a 8% reduction in dmg coming this next patch (my armor reduction goes from 61% to 63.8%) so having a nice heal bonus and huge health pool will make blood tanks nice and viable. We'll still have to see how they actually do but i think they are going to perform just fine in their own way. Will be nice to have even more options when tanking, it's a testament to how well the class was designed that we see so much versatility in dk's, it almost feels like 3 mini classes rolled into one depending on what tree you go.

It's going to be nice that we can be even freer in how we choose our specs, instead of the "spec whatever tree until you're at 50% avoidance then go unholy since bs pwns so much" that it is right now. I'm having fun being frost again for the first time in a month or so, haha shaking off all my rotation rust for it.

clicky for armory

Sure hope Blood becomes a viable spec for tanking,tried frost and ungholy but i didnt like them as much as blood.
    Will have to await till patch day to see how it goes,thanks everyone for the replies.
    BUY A JOCKSTRAP AND PLACE YOUR CELLPHONE IN IT, LADIES LOVE IT WHEN THEY KNOW YOU HAVE THE MANPOWER TO ANSWER CALLS FROM YOUR CROTCH.

blood is gonna be a nice OT but i wont ask to be the MT if i'm blood spec even with the good template

I think it will be interesting to see how WotN plays out as a mitigation effect. The last stand effect from VB will be good, but WotN functioning well is the only thing that will make the build viable as a tank. If it doesn't perform, then blood tanking won't be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

First off to clarify Argent Defender is by no means better than WotN. Lets look at each description carefully for a maxed talent.

Argent Defender- When you have less than 35% health, all damage taken is reduced by 30%

WotN- Damage that would take you below 35% health is reduced by 15%

Example- Both pally tank and blood tank have 30,000 health raid buffed (35% of total health is exactly 10,500 hp). Each tank is currently at 11,000 health and the healers are playing tiddly winks in the corner.

Scenario 1- Boss hits blood tank for 6000, which is reduced to 5100 by WotN, boss hits again for 6000, which is reduced again to 5100, total damage taken is 10,200. The tank lives.
    Boss hits Pally tank this time for 6000, argent defender doesn't apply since the pally had over 35% at the time, second hit is 6000 again, reduced to 4200 by argent defender. Total damage taken is 10,200. The tank lives, and it is exactly the same amount taken as the blood DK.

So yes they are equal except when...

Scenario 2- This boss is taking the juice and hits a lot harder. His swing hits for 12,000. The Blood DK at 11,000 health will take ( WotN 12,000 x .85) 10,200 damage. He lives the attack
    However the Pally tank at 11,000 is not so lucky, he gets smacked for the 12,000 and drops to the floor. No argent defender for him since he was above 35% total health.

So as we all now know, Argent Defender and WotN are almost equal, except on the cases where argent defender can be leap frogged, although highly unlikely, its still very possible.

P.S. Blood will stack loads of health with the Vampiric Blood change, a last stand that can last 50% (glyphed) of a fight and increases healing received by 50% is amazing. Plus blood should put points into rune tap/improved rune tap to give a 30 second cd, 22% heal (glyhped). I think they will be viable MTs if changes go through.