Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Consequences of Coh Nerf/whats next?

First of, I KNEW I SHOULD OF ROLLED A DRUID!

Alright, now that this is said... I don't think blizzard thought real seriously into the whole Coh / Wild Growth nerf... If they did... then yeah, alot of bosses which required alot of aoe heals are going to become a pain to heal. Hear me out, im not crying because im getting nerfed, im just pointing out the obvious, last night while killing Malygos 25 man, i was top healer for phase 1-2. Between 70-90% of my heals were done with Coh, yes that is alot. But to my biggest surprise, the guy who was right behind me on healing was the Holy Paladin healing MT. And ya.. he didn't use a flask, use a mana potion, have mana tide. He just sat there and healed, healed, healed and healed. Mana wise... he ended phase 2 with 40% of his mana, i ended it with 15%... Thats 1 of the things i think you guys at blizzard didn't think. Some of you are going to tell me that im gearing myself badly, yes im going for Crit/spirit. Disc better at single target healing? Maybe in 10 mans... but then again its mainly because we have more tools then the paladin to heal. Ive come to realize that 25 man is just burst healing or who can heal the tank the whole fight without stopping. So what im asking right now is... Am I going to get something to compensate for the CoH nerf? More mana regen? Quicker Heals? More chance to proc Holy Concentration? How must i gear / spec myself to compensate for that lost? Haste, crit? Am i more a Raid healer or a tank healer? Because obviously im gonna need quick and powerful heals to raid heal. Did you also think about... Prayer of Healing -> only heals your group. If im not in the same group as the Resto shaman = no mana tide?

So to resume it all :
    1- How will i be able to raid heal efficiently on aoe bosses (Malygos - Vortexes, Thaddius - Chain Lightning, Loatheb - Doom, Noth - Dance... obviously theres more)
    2- Should i stop stacking crit for haste? Even though as holy -> Holy Concentration and Surge of Light are really awesome and as Disc -> Divine Aegis isn't bad.
    3- How will i be able to compete with a Holy paladin on mana?
    4- Will you make Prayer of Healing a replacement for Coh and make it as intelligent as Coh?
    5- I REALLY SHOULD OF ROLLED A DRUID!

Thx for reading my brain storm of ''QQ'' sry for the bad english.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...crusher&n=Lyme

Re: Consequences of Coh Nerf/whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyeVII

Alright, now that this is said... I don't think blizzard thought real seriously into the whole Coh / Wild Growth nerf... If they did... then yeah, alot of bosses which required alot of aoe heals are going to become a pain to heal. Hear me out, im not crying because im getting nerfed, im just pointing out the obvious, last night while killing Malygos 25 man, i was top healer for phase 1-2. Between 70-90% of my heals were done with Coh, yes that is alot. But to my biggest surprise, the guy who was right behind me on healing was the Holy Paladin healing MT. And ya.. he didn't use a flask, use a mana potion, have mana tide. He just sat there and healed, healed, healed and healed. Mana wise... he ended phase 2 with 40% of his mana, i ended it with 15%... Thats 1 of the things i think you guys at blizzard didn't think. Some of you are going to tell me that im gearing myself badly, yes im going for Crit/spirit. Disc better at single target healing? Maybe in 10 mans... but then again its mainly because we have more tools then the paladin to heal. Ive come to realize that 25 man is just burst healing or who can heal the tank the whole fight without stopping. So what im asking right now is... Am I going to get something to compensate for the CoH nerf? More mana regen? Quicker Heals? More chance to proc Holy Concentration? How must i gear / spec myself to compensate for that lost? Haste, crit? Am i more a Raid healer or a tank healer? Because obviously im gonna need quick and powerful heals to raid heal. Did you also think about... Prayer of Healing -> only heals your group. If im not in the same group as the Resto shaman = no mana tide?

So to resume it all :
    1- How will i be able to raid heal efficiently on aoe bosses (Malygos - Vortexes, Thaddius - Chain Lightning, Loatheb - Doom, Noth - Dance... obviously theres more)
    2- Should i stop stacking crit for haste? Even though as holy -> Holy Concentration and Surge of Light are really awesome and as Disc -> Divine Aegis isn't bad.
    4- Will you make Prayer of Healing a replacement for Coh and make it as intelligent as Coh?

Thx for reading my brain storm of ''QQ'' sry for the bad english.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...crusher&n=Lyme
    Raid heal like a Holy Paladin, except instead of using Holy Shock every 6 seconds, pop a CoH, and every 7 toss a Prayer of Mending out there. Sure, you're no Shaman, but given our tools, even with the cooldown you can still handle yourself pretty damn good. Serendipity and Test of Faith will help with this greatly.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

And what would that have solved with the Wild Growth nerf? You'd get Nourish out of it? With Lifebloom down the way it is, Resto's viable (and alot more fun than it was in TBC that's for sure) but I still wouldn't say they're the "omg top healer" at all, whether referring to now or before.

And for the record, topping meters as a healer means squat.

You got me all wrong... I know we might be able to cut some corners and get most of the fights i listed down without too much worry. But some of them... Malygos for example is going to be a real pain. BTW mending is always on cd, its one of the best spells we have. Plus when i mentionned myself being first on healing was not to boost myself or to even try to look good... I mean i am healing 24 persons in that raid... The fact that scared me is that i had done all this healing with barely no OH and that my mana was eating it. But that pally with the same amount or close to was almost 40% mana when i looked... God knows that raid healing with flash heals is going to ask alot more mana then healing 6 persons for 4k each for 1600 mana... (2 Coh)

Too much to touch on everything here, I'll touch on a few things, though I sympathize your concerns.

It is a nerf, which means we will have to adapt and work amongst ourselves and the other healers in order to overcome the difficulty it presents. If we didn't, it wouldn't be a nerf. Tbh, holy priests getting 70-90% of their healing done via CoH is pretty much brain-free spamming and imo quite boring.

Disc better at single target healing? Maybe in 10 mans... but then again its mainly because we have more tools then the paladin to heal. Ive come to realize that 25 man is just burst healing or who can heal the tank the whole fight without stopping.
    Disc doesn't provide the directly visible HPS of a holy paladin, but to view only that ignores the front-loaded damage mitigation of PWS and DA, as well as PS for moments of extreme crisis. As to mana longevity, build enough of a mana pool and you should have no issues running OOM given how many of our mana gains are all based on that (shadowfiend, rapture, replenishment, divine hymn, mana tide). I currently run just north of 25k mana raid-buffed and have not run OOM in any encounter currently in the game.

BTW mending is always on cd, its one of the best spells we have
    Agreed, it is one of the best spells we have, but it is a mistake to ALWAYS keep it on CD. In scenarios where there is reasonably frequent raid damage, you don't necessarily want to refresh it when it is still bouncing around with charges left, which it often is. Yes, you could bounce another off the tank, but then you're really only guaranteeing one heal from it and sacrificing a GCD to reapply it that might spent better on another cast. There are numerous mods (I use PoMTracker) available that make it very easy to see how many charges remain (even accounting for T7 2pc) and which player it is on.

So to resume it all :
    1- You will learn to adapt. As an example on Malygos, maybe Holy Nova is a viable instant spell during vortex, and multiple priests are kept in separate groups. As effective? No, but it still does more than twiddling your thumbs. Front-load renews before the vortex... Make sure PoM is up... PW:S on CD where needed... SoL procs... And remember that all bosses in the game (exception Razuvious) are managable, though perhaps sometimes more challenging, without any priests.

2- No, but you should make sure to balance as needed. Exactly where that balance lies remains to be seen and learned through combat.

3- Interesting question.. For disc, you already do. For holy, by abusing the FSR whenever you can, and remembering that paladins are asking how they will compete with the wider array of tools that priests have, even post-CoH nerf. We each face different challenges and need to fill different roles. Paladins can spam heals longer than holy, but not as diverse an assortment. Your raid's healing makeup needs to allow for you to manage the FSR as needed.

4- Doubtful, as that would still be a little OP, though I like the concept.

5- Any class that is getting nerfed isn't the OP class of the moment will always say 'I should have rolled 'X' class.' We're getting nerfed because currently CoH makes holy priests too powerful to be considered balanced with other healing specs/classes. It's all to easy to sit back and in the same way, complain that we need buffs when other classes that are underpowered get them so we remain 'balanced.' You obviously love your class, or you wouldn't be posting at such length and so emphatically about it, so roll with the punches. And if you want, go ahead and roll a druid - it's easier now than ever to level an alt, especially w/ the heirloom shoulders, and if you don't like them as a healer they're the most versatile in that you can put them into any role you want. I did just that, and now have a fun tank to play with when I'm not sewing up the wounds of the world ;D

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Well, my only comment is...did you find spamming that one button fun?

I know raid healing is complicated, and being effective is half the joy...but now I can look forward to not having your CoH stomp the hell out of my WG every time so it makes me happy.

Keep in mind, CoH doesn't go away, CoH SPAM goes away, so your 6 person heal is a little disingenuous. The reality is you'll CoH, then flash the others...you probably won't be the only AoE heal there so it will spread out the meters a little bit.

However, spreading out healing is a good thing because it leads to more efficiency. Trust your other healers. Raids were not meant to be AoE healed by ONE PERSON.

BTW, I really like the idea of intelligent Prayer of Mending...but they'd have to nerf it in some other way to keep it from being terribly overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakaa
    Well, my only comment is...did you find spamming that one button fun?

I know raid healing is complicated, and being effective is half the joy...but now I can look forward to not having your CoH stomp the hell out of my WG every time so it makes me happy.

Keep in mind, CoH doesn't go away, CoH SPAM goes away, so your 6 person heal is a little disingenuous. The reality is you'll CoH, then flash the others...you probably won't be the only AoE heal there so it will spread out the meters a little bit.

However, spreading out healing is a good thing because it leads to more efficiency. Trust your other healers. Raids were not meant to be AoE healed by ONE PERSON.

BTW, I really like the idea of intelligent Prayer of Healing...but they'd have to nerf it in some other way to keep it from being terribly overpowered.
    Fixed. Prayer of Mending heals on damage taken (on demand living seed that bounces 5 [or 6] times.).

Response: Not really. The one thing that made Shaman QQ about circle was that it was instacast, whereas they had to stop moving to cast their "main healing spell" or whatever.

All their talents base around Chain, whereas our Prayer of Healing is super expensive, not spammable at all (unless you happen to be getting 3 innervates in a fight), and most of our talents take a step back from it. It wouldn't make us gods at AoE, by any means, but it would give us an edge again between CoH casts when we're on raid duty.

Though, managing crit and procs well, this could go quite nicely.

You seem to think topping meters while healing means the same thing as a dps class topping dps meters. Healing isn't as simple as maintaining a dps rotation.

I mean, you have a few fair points, but overall, I'm still gonna like healing without CoH.
    CoH is the 25man trash spam-and-afk button ive found. PoM the tank and CoH if you see any deficit...its not that interesting. That being said, trash doesnt matter at all and healing meters matter even less. I hate when other classes cry that priests are topping meters with CoH. If a raid wanted to stack holy priests because CoH is so OP, the raid would probably fail on Maexana. CoH is OP in terms of numbers, but keep in mind overheal and situational usage.

Call me crazy, but i think that CoH is meant to be spammed for short bursts in fights. Here is my solution, criticize and judge but please dont just whine...Make a separate skill like Inner Focus that removes the CD from CoH for say, 10 seconds. Make this skill on a 2min or 3min CD so that it MUST be used situationally. For instance. Loetheb without CoH is a pain, timecasting POH then flashing people depends heavily on the other healer makeup, yes, it can be done without priests, but it is harder, not that harder is bad, but when there is a niche that is being taken away, there will be complaints.

With a 6 sec CD, CoH MIGHT still have complaints because its 12k healing instantly non-crit. It will still be fun to heal as a priest and if we qq enough they might change some talent points around...(lets not qq too much, i dont want to sound like hunters)

To the OP:

The entire point of the CoH nerf was not primarily to nerf priests. It was to lower the healing done on raidwide damage. Currently, raidwide damage is pretty easily countered, much due to CoH and WG. Trash is currently a standing joke, and tanks often do triple pulls because they are bored. Priests is one of the primary reasons the amount of aoe damage dealt in these cases can even be countered. And still, people hardly die on trash anymore. In order for raidwide damage to be dangerous, they had to increase the raidwide damage to extreme measures (like the malygos vortex, the sapphiron cold aura, RoS or BBoil). This left shammies, who could really do nothing but raid heal without a good role besides providing stable healing when the priests were going oom. It wasn't working out.

In the long term, this nerf is a good move, because raidwide damage will return to sane levels, massively overpowered healing like CoH could provide would not be nescessary to provide the raid with a challenge, and the game will be better for it. I support the nerf and even the removal of CoH. It's a crutch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

However, in the short term, I am of the opinion that Blizzard just hit all holypriests in the back of the head with a baseball bat. For the umpteenth time in a row since TBC ended. And I am not convinced they are quite aware of just what consequences the changes they brought on will have for the holy priest.

Without CoH, a holy priest is a very powerful single target healer, we have the biggest heal in the game, and there is nothing better to save the tank than a well-placed GS. There is no denying that the holy priest is in pretty good shape even without talenting for CoH.

Without CoH, the holy priest is a very powerful group healer. Prayer of Healing is a fantastic heal, and helped by ProM you will be the best heroic healer in the game still.

Without CoH, the holy priest is a very decent 10-man healer. With half the raid being in your party, you will have lots of opportunities to heal everyone very nicely.

Without CoH, the holy priest will suck at 25-man healing. We have one good trick going for it. Prayer of Mending. Its a great spell. But it's woefully uncontrollable, and on a heavy cooldown. I'm not saying it's bad. When it really counts, it's like bringing an extra healer. But it's still not a spell you rely on. It's a helper spell. You use CoH, GHeal and FHeal to save people. If you don't, things will die. For raidhealing, we are pretty much reduced to renew and flash heal. And renew sucks.

As I said, the point was to nerf raidwide healing. That's okay. They did that. Instead of saving six people with 3x CoH, we save three people with a Flash Heal. I can live with that. But the last three people need saving too. You must cast twice as longm and twice as many spells in order to bring the raid up to top shape.

---

And here's the kicker.

Holy priests are at heart a very unreliable healer. We are the healer that runs OOM the fastest. Patchwerk is the boss that taxes a priest the most (unless horribly overgeared). In a spamfight, the holy priest will be the first to run oom. The first to get innervated. The first to run oom again. Then maybe the shaman get into trouble.

But this is what I think is the big killer with this change. Because where we used to spam CoH 2-3 times and heal 6 people of the raid, we now need to cast 6x Flash Heals. We now have to spend at least twice as long healing the raid, which means way way less time to restore our manapools. Unless your holy priest is horribly overgeared, you will be oom most of the time. If taking those breaks anyway, you won't pull your weight. Healing meters may not count for much, but I would gladly replace a healer consistently doing 5% of the healing done one evening if I was a raidleader.

Also, by going deep into holy, we sacrifice utility, survivability and reliability and mana efficiency... for what, really?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Greid
    I mean, you have a few fair points, but overall, I'm still gonna like healing without CoH.
    CoH is the 25man trash spam-and-afk button ive found. PoM the tank and CoH if you see any deficit...its not that interesting. That being said, trash doesnt matter at all and healing meters matter even less. I hate when other classes cry that priests are topping meters with CoH. If a raid wanted to stack holy priests because CoH is so OP, the raid would probably fail on Maexana. CoH is OP in terms of numbers, but keep in mind overheal and situational usage.

Call me crazy, but i think that CoH is meant to be spammed for short bursts in fights. Here is my solution, criticize and judge but please dont just whine...Make a separate skill like Inner Focus that removes the CD from CoH for say, 10 seconds. Make this skill on a 2min or 3min CD so that it MUST be used situationally. For instance. Loetheb without CoH is a pain, timecasting POH then flashing people depends heavily on the other healer makeup, yes, it can be done without priests, but it is harder, not that harder is bad, but when there is a niche that is being taken away, there will be complaints.

With a 6 sec CD, CoH MIGHT still have complaints because its 12k healing instantly non-crit. It will still be fun to heal as a priest and if we qq enough they might change some talent points around...(lets not qq too much, i dont want to sound like hunters)

I have been waiting for someone to talk about the "short, bursty" usage of CoH. I 25man raid heal, and that's pretty much it. (I'll probably do a heroic or two, but only if it's the daily). Ever since the talk of how OP CoH is & the upcoming nerf, I have been watching how much I use it very carefully. Here's how it goes: 30 seconds of renews/PoM/flash heal/occasional gheal, then 2 or 3 "spams" of CoH whenever a boss or trash does their big AoE move. Then it's back to not even thinking about CoH for the next 30 seconds.

All in all, this equates to roughly the same as casting it once every 6 seconds (I guess.. maybe less), but the nerf makes things SO much harder. I do not know a priest that just sits there and spams CoH more than I do. It's pointless. Not only pointless (read: completely overhealing & wasting your time), but BORING.

Blizzard isn't nerfing the smart holy priests who are progressing in 25man raids. They are nerfing the tardish (pardon my French) priests who started spamming CoH for every 90% hp person even more than they already did once they heard it might be OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    However, in the short term, I am of the opinion that Blizzard just hit all holypriests in the back of the head with a baseball bat. For the umpteenth time in a row since TBC ended. And I am not convinced they are quite aware of just what consequences the changes they brought on will have for the holy priest.
    I would agree and disagree with this, true blizzard has nerfed us considerably since TBC and as such I can't say I'm very happy to see CoH get nerfed but the fact is, even being a holy priest I'm tired of seeing my own GL do nothing more as a healer then spam CoH, he drains his own mana so fast that he ends up using every innervate the 3 druids in our 25 man have, and it's very irritating, because that leaves the rest of us to fend for ourselves.

He knows his class I'll give him that however like a good number of other priests I've met when given the choice to acctually try and heal the way we were meant to, or just spam CoH I see to many turn to CoH and, I am just tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion49
    You seem to think topping meters while healing means the same thing as a dps class topping dps meters. Healing isn't as simple as maintaining a dps rotation.
    I agree with this whole fully it is not a matter of topping the charts, I'll leave that to the people who want to spam the currently OP heals, the point is that in the end if we downed the boss, I'm happy and so is everyone else.

I do hope I didn't come across as trying to slam anyone, I for one will be happy to see CoH get nerfed in the short and long term.

I would have to agree with you on this one, jgnoel86, getting "rid" of CoH will be a good change for priests. In the long term.

In the short term, we will still need to pay for having had one OP ability, and the rest of the class tweaked and rebalanced because of it.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Am I going to get something to compensate for the CoH nerf? More mana regen? Quicker Heals? More chance to proc Holy Concentration? How must i gear / spec myself to compensate for that lost? Haste, crit?
    As he told the rogues looking for compensation, Ghostcrawler will probably say that you don't need compensation and l2p with what you have.

Consequences of Coh Nerf/whats next?
    you will actually have to cast a heal.
    It's just a game.

I'll quote from my blog post today(www.talesofapriest.com):

COH should not be the #1 spell you cast for the evening. /faceroll isn't the name of the game here. With the current regen mechanics, many preists are able to spam the heck out of COH and have 60-70% of their healing for the night be from COH. Really? Is that what you want from the game? I didn't think so.

In a comment reply to one of my earlier posts, it was implied that COH's HPS often can save the day on possible wipes on trash pulls. (getting extra packs, pulling too soon on gargoyles and getting too many debuff stacks...). I couldn't agree more, however COH really was OP.

Certain fights we will need to adjust- no doubt. The top two are Malygos and Thaddius. Malygos for Vortex and Thaddius for Chain Lightning. (Annoying that a fight that rewards you for clumping up, has a chain lightning attack).

The key to adjusting to the nerf is remembering your other spells in your aresenal. Prayer of Mending and Renew come to mind first. I forsee a lot of Renew casts just before vortex preceeded by a ProM. By the time ProM's CD is up the charges should be just about done. You still will be casting COH on it's cooldown, but ProM/Renew/PW:Shield will be majorly important to this phase. Further, your HP (now that you have been farming Naxx) should be notably higher than it was weeks ago, so surviving a Vortex shoudln't be too too difficult.

Yes, a change. But certainly not one we can't adjust to.

I like this nerf. It will allow the good healers to shine and the bad one to finally fall on their face. Any noob priest can spam CoH and top healing meters. Ive even seen a priest that casted 2, freakin 2, greater heals for an entire Heroic Naxx. But good god did that priest spam CoH.

Without the cooldown, it should be situational not your entire cast sequence. If you are dramatically hurt by this "nerf", L2Heal as a priest.

And yes, priests in general need a buff.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but you have little sympathy from me. Try raid healing the way Holy Paladins have had to, for say.... oh... the last 4 years. For you, that means Flash heal your heart out and no AoE heals. You might see why we complain so much about not having any real AoE healing at all.

I'd KILL to have anything even near as effective as CoH on a 6 second cooldown.

My disclaimer: I healed as a priest in BC, but I play a resto druid now. So I may be a little out of data.

Mstone accuses some "noob" priest of spamming CoH at the exclusion of there other spells. While, I certainly agree that only casting 2 greater heals for an entire fight is a little extreme, I think the problem was that even very good priests were spamming CoH almost exclusively. After all, if you use it on the right targets it has very good HPM and HPS, meaning it is the best spell to be using(as long as someone isn't about to die). Spamming it means the other healers with less AOE ability can focus more on single targets. This is why I completely understand nerfing it (same concept applies to WG) so priests aren't FORCED to CoH spam.

My big problem with the nerf is this. CoH is your big 41 point talent and, imo, was originally designed to be spammed. Its relatively low healing and cast time (instant) really make it a spam spell. With only one cast it is a health topper or a "I hope some one else can heal them the rest of the way" spell. Seems like this means a lot of priests will be rarely using it, instead going to PoH for significant group heals. Considering CoH is your 41 point talent, it makes me wonder if a number of priests might respec disc. Many of the priests I know who are holy now, choose holy because of its superior AOE ability, which won't be as obvious once CoH is nerfed.

As you can tell, I see both positive and negative things about the CoH nerf. I feel like there are other changes could be made to prevent CoH from being used to the exclusion of other spells, without nerfing it as much. I liked a previous poster's idea of allowing CoH spamm for 10 seconds every 3 mins (allowing it to be spammable occasionally, but forcing you to use other spells most of the time). Other options include a debuff (like mage's arcane blast), or increasing the cooldown by a lot (say 45 seconds) but increasing the healing amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    I like this nerf. It will allow the good healers to shine and the bad one to finally fall on their face. Any noob priest can spam CoH and top healing meters. Ive even seen a priest that casted 2, freakin 2, greater heals for an entire Heroic Naxx. But good god did that priest spam CoH.

Without the cooldown, it should be situational not your entire cast sequence. If you are dramatically hurt by this "nerf", L2Heal as a priest.

And yes, priests in general need a buff.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn
    Not trying to sound like a jerk, but you have little sympathy from me. Try raid healing the way Holy Paladins have had to, for say.... oh... the last 4 years. For you, that means Flash heal your heart out and no AoE heals. You might see why we complain so much about not having any real AoE healing at all.

I'd KILL to have anything even near as effective as CoH on a 6 second cooldown.
    You mean try having a spec that can go forever at current (or then-current) regen mechanics without going oom, whether you overheal or not? Sure, why not. Oh wait. Suck it up, buttercup. You still have the biggest non-NS instacast heal in the game on just as short a cooldown.