Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: [Priest] What would you do while leveling?

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd
    Another point: How do you kill single-targets? My way is: VT, SW:P, VE, (running back while on GCD), Mindflay once (then the mob reaches me, no more mindflays possible, without shield), Mindblast, wand to death... Big mistakes here? Fear/Shield vs. single mobs?
    First, pre-bubble yourself. Then: VT, MB (start replenishment), MF, MF, dead. VT and MB are your best spells. Use them first. SW:P is too expensive for single targets. If the target isn't dead you can finish it with another MB (put at least 4 talents into improved MB) or even SWeath.

Should i spec 2 points into Impr. Shadowform while leveling? It doesnt help me with Mindflay getting interrupted
    Yes, get it. It does help with MF. Or, it will after 3.0.8 when the 2nd tick of MF comes at the right time.

How do you kill ranged targets? Again, mindflay isnt viable without Shield. (Before 3.0.2 i used a lower shield rank just to be able to cast one mindflay without getting interupts.)
    Just have yourself bubbled all the time. Get the Glyph of PW:S so that it heals you when you cast it, too. It's not that inefficient.

Use a leveling build like:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=000000000000

then put your next points in meditation, finish blackout, finish imp. MB.

What i did on non elite mobs to level was the following:

Use shield on yourself.
    Use VT followed with MB.
    Then use MF until you can MB again (if even needed).

On elites or hard hitting mobs:
    Shield
    VT
    Pain
    VE
    DP
    MB
    MF
    And then use whats on cd. (remember to reshield)

mm, can't actually understand what are you complaining about ? leveling as priest as shadow as holy does not make any troubles.
    If you are not shadow - just kill the enemy in a small groups - 1-2 mobs, manaregen is good enough to complete any q even as greeny without drinking.
    If you are shadow - gather the hole place with dots - fear. If some other mobs will come - you'll just need place several more dots. 7-10 is normal at 80 and 3-5 below this level. You'll need to get water from a vendor - that is the only problem you may meet.

Holy priest can solo most 5-men q[80] with a good gear. Green gear will let you do no higher then 3-men q... but.. you actually should not face them alone

Actually as holy shield is a wast of mana but with it you'll kill the mob faster.
    As shadow you should manage to kill mob before he even get to you. Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Multi-dotting is the key. Disciplin is like leveling a paladin as holy, stupid on a high level.
    Well, good to see we've gotten to the insult portion of this show.

Anyway, to the OP, I'm in a similar place as you: I want to be able to heal very effectively in dungeons, but I don't want to be too disadvantaged as far as dps as it relates to the speed of solo questing.
    I picked an almost pure disc spec with just 2 points in holy and 3 important points in Spirit Tap. Because of Spirit Tap, when questing, I can go from one mob to the next all day long, even with a couple of extra adds now and then, and almost never have to drink. So, my overall questing speed is decent. Still not as good as a dps spec, I'm sure, but enough where I don't feel slow. Also, as disc, my shield is buffed up, so I don't usually take damage in a fight (plus the mobs get the reflected damage, which is over 2k ATM).

Spirit Tap isn't a panacea though, I still have to be smart about my rotation. I usually lead with Dev Plague and SW:Pain, then Holy Nova, Mind Blast, and Penance (they're usually at or below 50% by that point), then I wand them to death for the remainder (this also allows your full mana regen to kick in before you gain Spirit Tap). Not super fast, but again there's no down time. If I just have to kill a couple mobs in an area, then I'll be more liberal with spells to get it done faster (FYI, if you cast SWeath and it doesn't kill them, and you still have enough shield to absorb the resulting damage, then it will reflect half of that back at them as well, so you get 45% extra damage out of a very mana-inexpensive spell).

My talents could probably use a little tweaking, but this is working really well for me right now:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...7jin&n=Coldrey

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

I struggled to 74 on my priest as Holy, and decided "Ya know, this SUCKS. I'm going to level the rest as Shadow."

I will note, I've never specced Discipline, under BC or Wrath talent trees.

My spec is here: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...rn&n=Nuadalynn

Here's how I run Shadow.

Single Target:
    PW:S, MB, SW:P, MF, MF, SW. Even while levelling, anything non-elite was dead by that point. You might need a third MF if they're not below the 2500 health mark (a good average for SW), but most enemies will die during it.

Multiple Targets (used on as many as 9 Stoic Mammoths at level 79):
    PW:S, SW:P every target, Devouring Plague + Vampiric Touch "main" target, MS, MS, MS, until only the "main" target is alive, and then MB or SW and you're done.

My usual reasons for dying are wandering mobs, and strings of lucky crits from the mobs. Yes, in multiple target mode, my shield goes down fairly quickly. So what? With the healing I'm getting from DP, SW:P, and VT on the guy I've got targetted for MS, I've taken as many as 9 even-level mobs without dropping below half health. If you get worried about your health, after a MS or two, re-shield yourself. Also, GLYPH OF POWER WORD: SHIELD. I'm getting 800-900 health every time I shield, and it can crit as well.

Thanks a bunch for your tips, i appreciated them a lot!

Logging into WoW, leveling my priest...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Except for Mages or Warlocks that actually dps their main target with AoE's, instead of everything else around it.
    i generally dot one target and then mind sear that target...sure the targets around it may die sooner but then a shadow word death and its usually gone,not to mention you can pull from a distance, start kiting while dotting, then start aoeing without getting hit and it MOVES with the target, wee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gande
    i generally dot one target and then mind sear that target...sure the targets around it may die sooner but then a shadow word death and its usually gone,not to mention you can pull from a distance, start kiting while dotting, then start aoeing without getting hit and it MOVES with the target, wee.
    Defo the best strat to grind levels from 75+

But i gotta say i never grinded levels with killing mobs. I just did all quests in Borean and Howling then went to Dragonblight and Grizzly hills.
    I did an occasional dungeon with my guild, but not many. By the time i hit Zuldrak i was 80 -.-"

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    but have tonnes of fun
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    But we're worried that logic might not lead to the best game.

what do you guys think of the Frostwoven set, and the duskweaver set as beginner sets? or is a dungeon set better?

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=763 frost -- +spirit ... blue items have +crit
    http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=764 dusk -- +stam/haste
    It's just a game.

Imho Spriest is the hardest class to kill 2+ Mobs at the same time. Sure, you can use Fear but you often get adds which isnt so great.
    What do you do here? Use your shield? (mana-inefficiency heellloooo!)
    Improved Vampiric Embrace and Mind Flay is the key.

Mob 1: Vampiric Touch, VE
    Mob 2: Vampirich Touch, SW:P
    Mob 3: Vampirich Touch, SW:P

When mob 1 is dead, you refresh SW:P with Mind Flay on the two other targets, and apply VE to Mob 2, while killing it. Don't use shield at all for leveling, except if you got it glyphed, then use it as a cheap heal (leaving shadowform is more expensive!)

Another point: How do you kill single-targets? My way is: VT, SW:P, VE,
    To many DoTs, Don't use SW:P if you're killing single target, using VT and Mind Blast (for Replenishment) is far more efficient.

Only use SW:P if you're killing several targets.

Should i spec 2 points into Impr. Shadowform while leveling? It doesnt help me with Mindflay getting interrupted
    Hell fucking yeah, and it DOES help on Mind Flay, alot even. It's the most important talent of them all for leveling.

How do you kill ranged targets? Again, mindflay isnt viable without Shield.
    Same was as earlier, VT, VE and then a single Mind Blast for Replenishment, and then MF spam.

I know its off in the future (level 75) but you can basically AoE grind with Mind Sear. Tag several mobs with SWP and a VT+MB on the target you are going to Mind Sear on. Pop a shield and within 2 casts of Mind Sear you will have decimated a large group. Its mana intensive but a 3 minute shadowfiend and dispersion make it so you shouldn't have to drink if you do it right.

It's just not efficient to use Mind Sear unless you got atleast 5 mobs. And if they hit hard it can be a waste mana wise.

15+ Year Old Account

I not only quested 70-80 as Discipline, but I still do quests that way now. Of course, I also quested a holy in vanilla and BC, so maybe I'm just really good or relaly insane or both.

Discipline does great for questing. Lesser downtime for mana (more like almost none) and if some equal level horde (or alliance, whichever you would fight) comes along, you can rofl them.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Thx Nezoia, one last question: how´s it with MF and the talent to improve?
    how much dmg do i lose when i get hit; when i get hit by multiple targets without shield?

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    True, but once you hit 75 and get Mindsear, nothing beats shadow for aoe bombing while questing
    soo true. I lvled as shadow and found that one spell to totally change the way that I lvled. on a side note its also very easy to heal most instances as shadow while lvling up. i would spec shadow till 80 then respec to the healing class you want. lvling a disc or holy priest is just too slow...

Thx Nezoia, one last question: how´s it with MF and the talent to improve?
    huh? Didden't quite understand that. But we're talking about a base build like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo

Add Disciplin talents when you got to the right level.

how much dmg do i lose when i get hit; when i get hit by multiple targets without shield?
    With Improved Shadowform, very very little.

Just make sure it's the typical melee mobs, since shadowform mitigate alot of their damage away, it makes it easy to survive. Avoid mobs that stun!

I meant: i dont feel that improved shadowform is doing anything for me.
    when i get hit, i still lose one tick of MF, no matter whether i have the talent or not, so i dont know what its good for (when casting MF).
    because of that, im still sticking to using shield anytime anywhere when leveling (and using MF).

update: still disc, still doing instances.. started leveling really slowly in isntances, so i did some questing in my downtime between runs...

wasn't really running OOM all that often, usually done quest objective with about 10% mp, still had fiend and inner focus up.

instances, still super awesome..

almost 75...

It's just a game.