Borean Leather Scraps

It was alluded to in another thread, but I thought I'd bring it up more openly.

I'm currently trying to get Leatherworking to 400 to make leg armour for some of my toons, I'm not leveling my skinning character at the moment, so he's stuck in BT at the moment. The problem is that I get a full piece of Borean Leather only once every 10th hit or so (at least that's what it feels like). Is this just a byproduct of skinning in a low level area, or do I have to get used to this kind of drop rate.

I considered going to Dragonblight to farm the animals there (outside Angmar's Hammer), but if scraps are the common thing, then I'll rather stay where I am and gain a half level from kill xp ;-D

Koumaru

Re: Borean Leather Scraps

The leather drops you get do scale as you skin higher-level beasts. Closer to level 80, expect to get 1 to 3 pieces of leather (not scraps), and when you harvest a skinnable heroic boss, you typically get half a stack of leather off of it in one shot.

Borean leather is so easy to farm, on my server it's almost not even worth selling in regular or heavy form. The average AH price is very low; there's no profit to be made.

In short, it gets better after Borean Tundra.

i personally ran violet hold a lot. almost every mob in there is skinnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru
    The leather drops you get do scale as you skin higher-level beasts. Closer to level 80, expect to get 1 to 3 pieces of leather (not scraps), and when you harvest a skinnable heroic boss, you typically get half a stack of leather off of it in one shot.

In short, it gets better after Borean Tundra.
    Great, thanks ... one or 2 comments made in other threads got me thinking that scraps were a lot more commonplace in northrend than they were in outland ... glad to hear that's not the case.

By the time you get to Grizzly Hills or even Dragonsblight you wont get any scraps at all (at least, I don't think I've had any since leaving HF/BT).

Quote Originally Posted by Wardley
    By the time you get to Grizzly Hills or even Dragonsblight you wont get any scraps at all (at least, I don't think I've had any since leaving HF/BT).
    Went to Dragonblight last night in an effort to up the drop rate, and immediately started getting 2-3 scraps per drop, and half of the time, a full piece of leather. That was as soon as I entered DB, right on the border ... so yeah, seems things pick up.

Oh, very soon after that, I hit 450 skinning, and thanks to a level 80 warrior who was killing and looting (but thankfully not skinning) the bears and elks there, I got 405 leatherworking as well. Not too bad for a level 71 ... now I have 75AP / 22Crit leg armour patches, and 114ap bracers linings ... almost makes up fro half my total AP (ok, not really, but it's a decent chunk ;->)

Farm the shoveltusk packs for meat and leather, mighty profitable if you have the AoE needed.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Farm the shoveltusk packs for meat and leather, mighty profitable if you have the AoE needed.
    Yea i did this, once i got to 450 i just farm the rhinos around Engine of the Makers in Storm Peaks, they got a ton of profitable drops,aswell. King Dread in DTK skins 12 borean leathers, and VH is def the place to go for a skinner. Just as long as your group loots.