Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: best Sartharion + 3 D tank? (MT)

DK tank is the best but it requires some good playing.

Unless you get unlucky with breaths you can tank it indefinitely without assistance, although a pet/priest rotation will help enormously.

First breath: Bone shield + avoidance trinkets you have them.
    Second breath: if you used avoidance trinkets or lichborne, bone shield should still be up.
    Third breath: Icebound fortitude
    Fourth breath: Anti Magic Shell
    Fifth breath: Bone shield, or if you dont have it yet, AMZ + fire prot potion.

repeat etc.

But yeah once the first drake dies and the vesperon has landed, boss will go purple, at this time you need to stop auto attacking, keep up only frost fever if you can, you need to save GCD's.
    Moment he loads a breath, right click him to hit him and lose the debuff, then quickly pop one of the cooldowns i listed above.
    If you have no CD's left, be sure to communicate this to your priests/pallies/hunters (whoever can save you), and they should use something on you for the next breath.

Next patch however a blood death knight will be a great tank for sartharion, simply because of will of the necropolis. It will reduce breath damage by 15%, and you'll also get 15% reduction from frost presence, 4% from spellshattering on weapon, 2% from meta gem, 3% from blessing of Sanctuary, 3% from vigilance. Anti magic shell will have a lower cooldown, Vampiric blood will grant you 15% health for 30 seconds every minute (when glyphed). Most a breath will be able to hit for is around 35k if you can lose the debuff, so you should have enough reduction to get it to 28k without cooldowns, which is quite easy to get. You'll lose bone shield but its being nerfed anyway, Vampiric blood will cover you for 30 seconds, and for the other 30 you can use IBF and Anti magic shield.

We used a drood, 50-55k buffed using some Polar gear. He's a mana sponge, but did the job.

But I think a well geared DK would be better, AMS would let us go without having to worry about BoS.

Quote Originally Posted by SemtexJack
    3% from blessing of Sanctuary, 3% from vigilance.
    Sanctuary and vigilance do not stack i think.

No they do not stack.

As for my experience, haven't downed him yet, we're close, and we just need a good try. I'm the MT (Frost DK, subspec blood for 6% more stamina), sitting @ 30.8k hp unbuffed. 10man 3drake is ALOT harder than 25man due to a more "closed" group setup to have the CDs to survive. With the boneshield nerf next patch, doubt that CD willbe enough to survive.

As for 1 of the posters above, how the hell do u expect avoidance trinkets to dodge a MAGICAL attack -_-

I already said you use bone shield in combination with trinkets. Avoidance trinkets = more dodges/parries = more chance of bone shield lasting longer because youre not taking hits, = bone shield lasting for 2 breaths, it even lasted for 3 breaths for me.

Also if you spec into Spell deflection, you will be able to actually 'parry' breaths, so if you have a parry trinket, it gives you a chance to mitigate them further :P

Your spec is extremely bad for sartharion w/3 drakes tanking, you only have 2 cooldowns with which to mitigate breaths, and no extra magic damage reduction.

If you would go blood/unholy, you'd get 2% more stamina, 5% less magic damage, bone shield, anti magic zone, and you should also take spell deflection for sartharion. Screw threat generation talents for him, you just need to take every stamina boosting and avoidance talent you can.

You don't even have fricken anticipation, learn to play your class for gods sake.

lololol, i speccd out of anticipation for more hp, which was the issue as i'm currently "slightly" undergeared.

have enough physical avoidance for that fight as it is. and have a CD rotation set which doesn't require me to go unholy, so why the hell should i pass over the 4% diff from blood-> unholy.

/facepalm

A) You'll take less damage from a good percentage of breaths with deflection.

B) You could spec into anticipation without losing anything of value.

C) You would take 5% BASE less dmg from breaths by being unholy.

D) You get 2% more stamina

E) You get an 18000 magic damage shield that absorbs an extra breath

F) Bone shield makes the fight SOOOO much easier.

Basically you'll cause less stress for healers, your incoming damage will be less bursty. Why wouldn't you spec for that?

Quote Originally Posted by SemtexJack
    A) You'll take less damage from a good percentage of breaths with deflection.

B) You could spec into anticipation without losing anything of value.

C) You would take 5% BASE less dmg from breaths by being unholy.

D) You get 2% more stamina

E) You get an 18000 magic damage shield that absorbs an extra breath

F) Bone shield makes the fight SOOOO much easier.

Basically you'll cause less stress for healers, your incoming damage will be less bursty. Why wouldn't you spec for that?
    a) ye, cuz relying on RNG is an awesome way to do a fight

b) did u not read what i traded for anticipation? reading skills much?

c) this is nice, but not a must (getting extra 10% next patch, nextweek?)

d) i get 6% more sta from bloodsubspec, hai!

e) with low hp (and no, mine cuts of ~17k) depending on resistances i could still die, worthless CD, rng survival ftl

f) and so does my frigid breastplate, and other cds, not to mention the utility with icytalons for the raid, not to mention 20% from boneshield nextpatch might not save u, yet again rng survival, rather get used to the spec i'll be using next week to survive, not something thats outdated and definately not superior.

We had a warrior MT sarth... did just fine
    I participated in the legendary BACON thread.

Spell Deflection overrides AMS, so I wouldn't recomend having Spell Deflecting for tanking him if you plan on EVER using AMS to avoid dying to a 50-75k Fire Breath.

51k HP Druid as MT
    DK on the fire adds and whelps

Anyone else you got left on the adds. Thats how we do it it seems to work just fine.

Possible for a Warrior doing this? Any tips? How much health should i be at while trying to do it ?

We used a druid MT (had over 37k hps with the debuffs) and 1 prot warrior for drakes, and 1 prot warrior for whelps/fire elementals. We did have to take people off the drakes (ranged only) and AOE the adds if they got to be too much- but we made sure to AOE near the drake that was up so that it would get hit as well. We also brought in an extra healer.

Possible for a warrior to tank this. Really not sure about the HP but i'm guessing almost 32k unbuffed would be preferred. I've heard of warriors doing it but it makes more sense to have a Druid with 51k+ buffed or a DK tanking.

Really though its possible with any class. It comes down to what your group composition is. If you got some pallys and priests that can burn some CD's on you then you'll probably be fine. Will it be harder? Possibly, but it can still be done. If you have a druid or DK with good gear then just let them tank it. This is not an ego fight you don't have to be MT... I don't know many guilds that only have War and pally tanks. Most guilds doing Sarth 3D have been DE'ing 80% of naxx loot for the past few weeks, you should have a druid with an tank set or a DK with a tank set.

Quote Originally Posted by Miedo
    We used a druid MT (had over 37k hps with the debuffs) and 1 prot warrior for drakes, and 1 prot warrior for whelps/fire elementals. We did have to take people off the drakes (ranged only) and AOE the adds if they got to be too much- but we made sure to AOE near the drake that was up so that it would get hit as well. We also brought in an extra healer.
    We stick 2 dk's on the adds I tank Shadron and a Warrior on the other two and a druid on sarth.
    It seems like a lot of tanks but, we don't have to AoE any adds ever. It works out nice, we still kill Tenebron before two waves of whelps. The DK's are so OP aoe on the adds that they dont attack healers ever.... and they die real quick so they never pile up.

Seems the overall consensus is DK as the best tank. It's doable by all, but, as said, in terms of best for the fight, DK no question at all.

The biggest thing is communication. Keeping vent clear of idle chatter so that when talents are on CD, to get a priest to use guardian spirit. If you can do this, the fight becomes much more about survival than a dps race.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus
    Two months ago? on the 9th November? Impressive, since the expansion wasn't released until 13th November.

Now stop exaggerating and boasting.
    read page one.... and while your at it, stop being so pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cromor
    Possible for a Warrior doing this? Any tips? How much health should i be at while trying to do it ?
    I had around 32500 hp unbuffed when we killed it. A little over 31k during the fight iirc.

I got oneshot once and a while, but it wasn't really an issue. The use of a priest guardian spirit, paladin HOS and random DK AMZ helped. Max breaths I ever took were around 33k I think, slightly more then I have, but that was usually when the paladin healer with FR aura wasn't in range.
    We used a warrior (myself) because when we first started it I was by far the best geared. In the mean time our druid tank played catchup, but he was experieced with the drake tanking that we didn't want to change assignments.
    We used a paladin for the adds.

32500 unbuffed? Ok you must have the best in slot HP for every item. Or were you wearing resist gear?

im a druid main tank for our guild for that fight and we ahvent downed him to miss organization with drake killing but not affect main tanking but as far as it goes im at 54k hp unbuffed with debuff and when shadron lands and his dudes come out i do fine with fire breaths and everything rly for best tank its a toss up rly id say between DK's and druids.

DK or Druid are equals.
    DK's can mitigate the damage, Druids can reach an insane amount of health without dropping crit immunity.

I have 56k raid buffed on my druid, if i was a JC and had slightly better gear I could probably cap 60k.

Guardian Spirit didn't even proc sometimes because a 75k breath + 12% reduc + fire resistance was less than the 42k I had.

Warriors and Paladins both have less HP than a DK with equal / worse cooldowns. It's doable sure, but not optimal.