Disc PvP vs Holy PvP?

Just reached level 80 as a priest and am looking at making him for pvp.
    I was originaly planning on making him disc which i believe is the normal pvp / arena spec . But lately i have seen of alot of pvp holy priests doing great in both pvp / arena as well. :-\

If i could please get some help from people who know the advantages / disadvantages of each spec in PvP to help me decide that would be awesome

Also been looking into a few hybrid specs if anyone wants to link theirs.

Re: Disc PvP vs Holy PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by azguard
    Just reached level 80 as a priest and am looking at making him for pvp.
    I was originaly planning on making him disc which i believe is the normal pvp / arena spec . But lately i have seen of alot of pvp holy priests doing great in both pvp / arena as well. :-\

If i could please get some help from people who know the advantages / disadvantages of each spec in PvP to help me decide that would be awesome
    Holy gives you Lightwell, Guardian Spirit, and Spirit of Redemption, not to mention Surge of Light. All of which will greatly increase your ability to heal (if you do it right), and SoL procs for insta smites can also work in your favor (funny as hell, too).

Discipline gives you Power Infusion which (in my opinion) doesn't make enough of a difference just yet. Same with Pain Suppression. Both are quite effective, but we need the burst damage to go down so that matches can actually last long to make good use of these abilities. That's my 2 copper's worth right now.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

If you are a raiding priest who likes pvp a bit - take raid holy build with BR and lightwell. It will let you be competitive in arena and you will not suffer much as raider.
    If you prefer pvp mostly but don't have enough resi - 600+ get gibrid spec: BR/SoR/PS/Focused Will and maybe lightwell
    If you are a pvp-priest with a good gear - Deep Pvp-Dis is you way to go.

Deep Dis without resi as less survival then deep holy without resi.

Deep Disc 60/11 or variations is one of the best mana efficient builds. Great build for healing teammates. Been disc forever tbc and untill recently

Specced holy for pvp after being disc for the whole time. With the insane burst, disc couldnt keep up with it, even pain supression is weak as damage eats through it. Disc is great if your a good player with a skilled teammate with good gear. The difference in succes is really your teammate ability to keep u getting gibbed.

Being sick of getting owned, i wanted to try holy and see how it went, strange enough it worked out alot better for me.
    in my opinion holy offers alot more benefits then disc. first of all

Lightwell: its really good for tanking someone or the rogue at first jump, u can click it while stunned to soften the burst. Helps to tank a dk or warrior solo easy. although u can kill it easy, i havent had one team do it. i never used lightwell in pve, but in pvp i used it alot, its really great. its free heals. i put it down at start of the fight, it also helps if u die and your dps is 1v1, he can heal himself. offcourse lightwell is mostly used vs healer setups where u have the time to run around and click it once and a while when needed.

guardian spirit: in my opinion better then pain supression,saved alot of fights when my rogue got nuked died and get rezzed back full hp, its good because it increases healing and if you fail to keep your teammate up, dying is a good thing. sometimes i let him die on purpose to get healed. the trick is to make sure ghost is still active before it happens hehe. the main problem with pain suppresion i have is that u cant heal when stunned, so even with damage reduction on, the damage is so insane that it doesnt help that much, and when u get hit by cc its even worse, at least with guardian spirit u get a second chance if your partner dies, for instance double pyro mages, guardian spirit saved us, with well timed guardian when they pyrod, partner died came alive and we won, pain supression would have lost us that fight, since pyro would be too strong and even if it didnt kill the partner, i would get cced or silenced and unable to heal, so i see guardian spirit as a superheal or free heal. sometimes when i die and spam heals, double dps can still kill my partner when i can spam heals freely as ghost

healing power; holy offers more healing power which helps alot vs double dps, also shorter mending every 7 secs helps too, instant cast are good,

blessed resilience: unsure how good, but being crit immune for some seconds helps against nukes

spirit or redemption: it helps sometimes, depends on what partner u play with, with rogue apparently mostly the rogue is nuked, i mostly die second after the rogue, if they always nuke u, this probably will be better, saved few fights, pretty situationel, not as good as i first thought, probably better for 3v3 and 5v5 then 2v2

improved holy concentration: one word imba, i would suggest to spec holy specialization, getting crit and then having instant flashheal or smite helps alot!! really a good pvp talent,pops quite often and instants keep you alive,

the only minor is that holy ooms faster, but with these short games, i must say that holy has alot of cool benefits for pvp over disc, when looking at disc tree, i dont see anything that really helps me alot to survive burst

compared to disc

disc offer great mana efficiency, pain supression and power infusion.