Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cianxo
    Yes, as others have pointed out indeed is that Divine Fury is more or less useless. I included it in my build for three reasons:
    1. Healing focus is even less useful.
    2. I don't Renew, rendering it too situational.
    3. Spell warding.. well.. interesting choice tbh..?
    4. Divine Fury decreases cast time of your damaging spells, causing you to solo faster. As well as possibility of chaining inner focus with gheal. High chance on crit, is it not? :P While normally not as manaefficient as Penance, free gheal crit does give way better DA than Penance ticks x3 would.
    And what he said.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  2. #22

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    regarding penance, should i be casting it every time its off CD? even if the tank doesnt need healing just to keep grace stacked?
    or should i only be saving it for when the tank needs healing and FH the rest of the time?
    Watch me go from bad to Glad on my PVP livestream. Constructive crticism welcome!

    http://www.livestream.com/xfire_nem2k87

  3. #23

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Dont know if you read my entire post, but I posted a question underneath, I'll just copypaste it..

    Now I have a question for all of you. I just got thinking... is glyph of powerword:shield really worth it? isnt it only a measurement to see how much we absorb? maybe that glyph slot could be used better.

  4. #24

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by iebe
    Dont know if you read my entire post, but I posted a question underneath, I'll just copypaste it..

    Now I have a question for all of you. I just got thinking... is glyph of powerword:shield really worth it? isnt it only a measurement to see how much we absorb? maybe that glyph slot could be used better.
    Not only is it a measurement, but the fact is you should be using Shield almost the instant that Weakened Soul falls off. Your tank might be 100% health, and it's an overheal.

    Or

    Your tank might be 90% or 50% or whatever, and not only did you add 5k to his potential health bar, but giving a little top up (on top of that) while you wind up a Penance/Flash/Greater or whatever is also nice. Every little bit helps.

    Let's say you took it out, you'd be left with Flash Heal, and what?
    Dispel, and Holy Nova? (Personally I took Holy Nova myself because I use it for 5's and I love it)? Or even Renew? That's worth a laugh and a half.

    A spell that you're based around, giving it somewhere between no improvement, to a whopping 20%, it's pretty solid if you ask me. And that's just tanks, think how often you shield a dps that pulled aggro in a heroic, or trying to mitigate some incoming aoe on a low-health party member. They'd have already taken some damage, why not add a freebie heal to it?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  5. #25

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Not only is it a measurement, but the fact is you should be using Shield almost the instant that Weakened Soul falls off. Your tank might be 100% health, and it's an overheal.

    Or

    Your tank might be 90% or 50% or whatever, and not only did you add 5k to his potential health bar, but giving a little top up (on top of that) while you wind up a Penance/Flash/Greater or whatever is also nice. Every little bit helps.
    Yes when you cast a 5k shield you heal for 1k, bringing the cast of shield at 6k 'healing'. But right now it just doesnt cut it for me, maybe in ulduar or beyond when gear becomes better it will be a very good option.

    Let's say you took it out, you'd be left with Flash Heal, and what?
    Dispel, and Holy Nova? (Personally I took Holy Nova myself because I use it for 5's and I love it)? Or even Renew? That's worth a laugh and a half.
    I'm using Flash heal and Renew apart from shield. I wouldnt take Dispel, because it's a bit to pvpish for my taste, and holy nova neither because I only use it to top of people after a prayer of fortitude. When aoe healing I usually pick Prayer of healing, so that one might be a good option.

    And Renew is not worth a laugh, I agree none of our crucial talents benefit from it, but with the current state of manaregen I dont even notice the loss of mana when I cast it, so having a renew tick for 1.8k on top of shields and PoM is a nice buffer to keep your tank topped up, and we are there as tankhealers. And since our aoe healing is lackluster, a buff to it would be nice.

    A spell that you're based around, giving it somewhere between no improvement, to a whopping 20%, it's pretty solid if you ask me. And that's just tanks, think how often you shield a dps that pulled aggro in a heroic, or trying to mitigate some incoming aoe on a low-health party member. They'd have already taken some damage, why not add a freebie heal to it
    On this I agree, when I know some aoe is going to happen I will toss some shields on the casters (since they have most mana, due to rapture bug) to get back sufficient mana, or when someone took negligible damage I will toss a shield to bring em back up again, and if it doesnt heal sufficiently I still throw a renew or PoM on them.

    I will give glyph of Prayer of Healing a try, but if it's crippling me to much, i will gladly take back the shield glyph. Dont get me wrong, I'm in love with that nifty glyph. ;D

  6. #26

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Well... I think it's OK to use gheal. Depends on what you do, if you 2 heal 10 man instances then Gheal can help alot in some situations, with added haste from shield and Power Infusion it do a lot of burst healing... Realy depends on the situations. But in most cases you will be using flash heals.

    Simple: the difference is not sa huge as some people suggest, if you like gheal more then flash then use it and talent for it. Oh and you get faster smites for solo grinding/questing.

    As for mana, I healed a blue/green geared alt palladin tank in UP some time ago, his gear was crap and he took truckloads of dmg. But he was a great player, and seeing he could rely on my heals he chain pulled the whole instance in a wonderfull way, only stop we had was to res the rogue (wink). With so much efective healing the mana returns I got from Rapture where over the roof, I simply could not go below 70-80% mana while spam healing the tank on one pull after another. Oh and I did use GHeal alot, flash heals just didn't put out as much healing as I would like sometimes.



  7. #27

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    I find myself only spamhealing greater heal on the deathknights at instructor razuvius, and really 'spam' healing, not stoppig a second, just make sure you got some mana totems and replenishment and you'llb e fine, and those dks have enough health anyway that you get enough mana back from 'effective' healing from greater heal.

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Nem2k
    so I just dinged 80 and excited to play disc in pve but have a few questions about healing as a disc priest in 5s 10s and 25s

    1) which 3 major glyphs are best for disc?

    2) does renew get used often? should I always be keeping it up on my tank?

    3) what about pom?

    4) in a nutshell disc healing is keeping bubble/weakened soul up, penance as main heal, flash heal when penance is on CD. holy nova and prayer of healing are out aoe heals. is that basically it?

    5) and could you take a look at my spec to see if its ok?

    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMLoifRtbxpc

    a few things about it that im unsure about....inner focus yes/no? imp renew? imp spirit?

    thanks for your help!
    1. Glyphs I have been using are Flash Heal, Power Word: Shield, and Dispel Magic. the latter two add some extra MT healing power, always a good thing for a MT healer.

    2. Renew should always be up on a tank, like most HoTs. That was the same in vanilla and the same in BC.

    3. PoM is actually your best raid healing spell since you will be MT healing. Just let it bounce around and do it's thing. Always try to keep it refreshed. I suggest PoM Tracker if you want a mod to help you keep an eye on it. Though, sadly, this mod does not work with the 2-piece T7 set bonus. : /

    4. Correct, though the odds that you will be having to AoE heal are slim. Let the real AoE healers figure it out imo.

    5. Your spec could use some work, depending on what you are playing for. If you are looking to PvE, first off get rid of Healing Focus. With the changes to spell pushback it's only really a PvP talent now. Also, only place two points into Divine Fury. GH will be little used as disc, anyhow, and the 2 points are just there to get you to the third tier of the tree. Improved Renew is good. As for Improved DS, my suggestion is no. They nerfed the buff and it no longer stacks with either shaman totems or the warlock ability that increases spell power, so it's next to useless. BTW, if you make those changes to your spec, place that last point in Enlightenment.

    Hope that helps!

  9. #29

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cianxo
    ..wut?

    Equi, could you link your armory page, since.. you're definately doing something wrong - no offense.

    1. Personally I use dispel glyph [likely change it to something else after nerf], FH glyph is a must and PWS glyph is highly desired for a discipline priest. Dispel glyph, especially after nerf, can be argued to be changed to pretty much anything.

    2. Some do use, personally I consider it as a waste of mana, only using it if I know I'll be unable to heal for a period of time [..Maexxna's web wrap, for example]. It kinda works as a buffer and fits to discipline. Unfortunately Rapture doesen't return mana from it, nor can it crit to provide DA. Usually it's just overheal every 3 secs, so..

    3. Every 10 secs, unless it's about to bounce more with it's existing charges.

    4. Keep PWS up, preshielding can be done, altough some argue against it for druid/warrior tanks. Definately preshield tankadins & DK's though. Definately, after some rage has been gathered PWS. In heroics I usually pom, wait for it to bounce, PWS. Once shield has worn off, pom is already off from cd.
    Penance is your main actual heal, and flash heal when you can't do either Penance nor PWS. Personally I ignore HN, but I heard it's very neat. PoH is good groupheal, and I'd like to add Divine Hymn as amazing group heal. Downside of the later is 6 min cd. If you are using Divine Hymn in heroics, avoid giving pain suppression to trash. Bosses are most likely immune, so far haven't found any that would get incapacitated, and therefore gain -40% dmg taken.

    5. It's okay, few chances I'd do: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRt0xtc
    Healing focus is unneeded for PvE. You get rarely interrupted, Penance always gets one tick off from it whetever it is 0/2 or 2/2, PWS/pom are both instants, therefore unaffected. But like said, you rarely get interrupted at all. Max out Enlightement. While 1% spirit/stam/haste isn't much, it's nice add. And there is nothing more useful for you either.



    Equi: Um.. Why you have so much oo5sr regen? And how can you run oom? Oo5sr regen is not needed, since you shouldn't be sitting out doing nothing as disc. Personally atm I have 639 and I'm still reducing the amount of spirit I have [being ex-spiritwhore..] for better stats. Are you losing crit or spellpower in favor of that +spirit?
    Greater heal & flash heal, glyphed in normal disc spec are practically equal in hpm, but flash heal has more chances of proccing DA and giving you more mana. Therefore you should ignore greater heal. -15% off from Penance is a joke by itself for the reason of penance being highly mana effective already. Improved healing does not improve flash heal or PWS, so you should drop those 3.
    Why are you not specced for imp. Fortitude? And even more so, why have you specced Silent Resolve? Can see you skipping imp. Fort if you are guaranteed to have multiple priests in raid that have it, but there is no reason to pick up Silent Resolve.
    Same goes to Improved DS. Any shaman. I repeat: ANY shaman in your raid will replace your buff. Not worth of two talent points, assuming your guild has any shamans.

    And how on earth improving bubble is not worth it? I have a reason to suspect that my bubbles would be way less than 6k's if I would not have improved them. And by way less, I doubdt 1,2k-1,4k less would be enough. Borrowed Time is amazing talent, so is Imp. PWS [altough I have heard rumors of it's bugged status, anyone filling up that..?].
    I really can't recall situation where I would've run oom.. most of the time I bring forth shadowfiend just for few extra hits on boss, not because I'd need mana.. And that's while Rapture/PWS combo is bugged, I'm really looking forward a way to burn my mana post-3.0.8, assuming they've fixed it.
    Just want to point out, that you completely contradict yourself. You say to ignore Greater heal, but then you spec into divine fury? The only thing divine fury does for a priest is reduce greater heal cast time. You would be better off putting those points in renew and spell knockback reduction.

  10. #30

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    Just want to point out, that you completely contradict yourself. You say to ignore Greater heal, but then you spec into divine fury? The only thing divine fury does for a priest is reduce greater heal cast time. You would be better off putting those points in renew and spell knockback reduction.
    Except, spell pushback as a mechanic is all but gone. I'm not talking about the serious laugh of a joke of raid damage, in saying "we're going to get more and doom us all".

    At 3.0, sex lord's Spirit Bolts was a joke to heal through because of the mechanic changes: You only take a tick of pushback from the first two points of damage, after that nothing. Healing Focus no longer reduces the "chance" of pushback, it reduces the amount of pushback from those two hits, by 35/70%.

    The only thing you'll notice is instead of losing 2 ticks of penance, you'll only lose one. But other than that? None of the rest of your heals will be seriously impacted.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  11. #31
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    95

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    Just want to point out, that you completely contradict yourself. You say to ignore Greater heal, but then you spec into divine fury? The only thing divine fury does for a priest is reduce greater heal cast time. You would be better off putting those points in renew and spell knockback reduction.
    Like I said earlier, fillerpoints that are picked out from 3 useless choices. Divine Fury at least increases my soloing capabilities. Greater heal is still useless, unless chained with IF. Altough I prefer to chain it with PoH.
    While others like Renew, I don't. So definately put 3 points into imp. Renew if you wish and two to wherever you wish, but personally, I think Renew is crap. Hence I chose to improve my soloing capabilities while going for Inspiration, as well as those random moments you need to DPS or chain that gheal with IF.

    As far as spellpushback goes, it's main use would be to prevent pushback on Penance. Unfortunately it will still push the 3rd out, nevermind if I have 2/2 or 0/2.

  12. #32

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    The only thing you'll notice is instead of losing 2 ticks of penance, you'll only lose one. But other than that? None of the rest of your heals will be seriously impacted.
    As far as spellpushback goes, it's main use would be to prevent pushback on Penance. Unfortunately it will still push the 3rd out, nevermind if I have 2/2 or 0/2.
    Don't you people ever get Concentration Aura? I see so much nowadays about how pointless pushback reduction talents are because you still lose ticks. As far as I know those talents still stack with the now raidwide Conc Aura, and the result is still no pushback whatsoever.

    As disc I'd rather always cast the few Greater Heals I do use 0.2 seconds slower and never be bothered by pushback, instead of occasionally and often unpredictably get a 0.25 seconds delay on anything with a casting time (assuming talented Conc Aura). Personal preference of course, but for me reliability is what healing is all about.

  13. #33

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cianxo
    Like I said earlier, fillerpoints that are picked out from 3 useless choices. Divine Fury at least increases my soloing capabilities. Greater heal is still useless, unless chained with IF. Altough I prefer to chain it with PoH.
    While others like Renew, I don't. So definately put 3 points into imp. Renew if you wish and two to wherever you wish, but personally, I think Renew is crap. Hence I chose to improve my soloing capabilities while going for Inspiration, as well as those random moments you need to DPS or chain that gheal with IF.

    As far as spellpushback goes, it's main use would be to prevent pushback on Penance. Unfortunately it will still push the 3rd out, nevermind if I have 2/2 or 0/2.
    Yeah, i agree with the uselessness of the those 3 talents. I know im going to get flamed for this but, I actually put points into renew and glyph it. It ticks for about 2k. Not the greatest heal, but i figure better than the other options. Also a 2k constant heal helps stabilize a tank taking bursty damage. I personally prefer the push back one because i would rather get 2 ticks of penance off than just 1. But its all about what you prefer. If you spec into Divine Fury just make sure to use the PWS- GH combo, if you plan on using GH. The haste buff + divine fury makes GH decent. But it just comes down to how you feel comfortable playing.

  14. #34
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    594

    Re: Basic Disc questions

    I tend to use renew as a second shield almost.

    Shield goes up, tank to 100%, shield comes off and up goes renew. That way I have a sort of ticking 2k absorb while weakened soul is up (and by that I mean 2k of any damage will be mitigated the moment renew ticks).

    However, I see renew as a way of keeping the tank at 100%, not a means of getting them there. I don't use renew as a heal in so much as 'oh, the tank got hit, better use renew' rather I use it as mitigation 'the tank is at 100% so FH would be wasted, but if I use the GCD for renew it will help mitigate the next source of damage'. Used alongside PoM it's a nice way of helping smooth out the damage.

    Because I'm still doing heroics with the Mrs I'm glyphed for FH, Shield and PoH (love that in 5 mans). But if I were to drop PoH then I'd talent and glyph renew and use it in the manner described above.

    Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •