CoH remake idea.

CoH is a very situational spell and has in its "no CD" form some very nice uses (for instance malygos vortex) but has ended up being a spamm all the night spell for many.

The CD will remove its viability in burst situations and frankly makes me worried about priests even getting spots for maly when we loose our niche, keeping ppl up during vortex.

Been over this a bit and came up with an idea for a new CoH spell.

Take the spell as it is now (smart heal, no CD same cost/heal) and add a secondary mechanic as follows.

Each cast requires you to have a "charge" to be able to cast the spell, these charges refresh while in combat at a set rate (for instance u gain one charge every 10 sec, and can have a maximum of 5 charges) this way you can save up charges and use CoH "spamm" in the fights where it might be well needed (Vortex, Sapp, diminish, heigan), but in return you can't "spamm" it again it for a while since you have to wait up the charges again.

The amount of casts / minute would be about the same (even less with 5 charges max) but its situational strengts can be used.

Would like to know what others think about this.

Re: CoH remake idea.

circle of healing isn't our only spell......i'm glad for the nerf, maybe bliz can open their eyes and bring back prayer of healing, improve binding heal, up renew, and fix PoM.

15+ Year Old Account

Did you even read hes post? ^^

I like the idea really, im too stupid to figure out potential downsides though.

yes so what was your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf
    Did you even read hes post? ^^

I like the idea really, im too stupid to figure out potential downsides though.
    Its her

Thats one of the reasons im posting, to see if theres any parts im missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    yes so what was your point?
    Im well aware we have plenty of other spells, but despite its OP atm CoH is supposed to be one of them aswell, having its situational use, but still not be a "spamm all night" spell.

With its low amount healed /target and high manacost, the 6 sec CD has a high risk of completely killing the spell.

it will still be used, and its not like you will be the only priest/healer in the raid.

I'm not saying i'm happy with the nerf, but its a chance to improve our other broken spells.

who here isn't as frustrated as i am to see PoM bounce of the MT to a dps with no dmg, that wont take any dmg?

wouldn't you like to see prayer of healing found some more use than using it like as if it had a 6 minute cool down?

renew is ok, specc'd is almost there, glyphed its pretty bad.

binding heal, it might find its use in some pve encounters, but all i really see it working in is pvp...and even in pvp its not all that great.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

You dont understand that being spammable is what made this spell OP. It's not the fact its a smartheal, not that it heals 6 people for <2k. It's because you can cast two in 1.5 second for crazy amount of HP.

Even two CoH in a row are extremely good, not to mention more. Giving it a CD is maybe simplest, but also only way to actually make you stop spam it.

And before you go with 'only bad priest spam it' etc. Thats the whole point, if bad priest - bad player, can do job better cause of spamming one spell it means the spell is broken.

Also your niche is not 'healing vortex on malygos', thats just silly.

All instant 'burst heals' should be on a CD, and 6 seconds is what most classes have (pala and shaman, excluding swiftmend which is 15 but its also different mechanic).

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    You dont understand that being spammable is what made this spell OP. It's not the fact its a smartheal, not that it heals 6 people for <2k. It's because you can cast two in 1.5 second for crazy amount of HP.

Even two CoH in a row are extremely good, not to mention more. Giving it a CD is maybe simplest, but also only way to actually make you stop spam it.

And before you go with 'only bad priest spam it' etc. Thats the whole point, if bad priest - bad player, can do job better cause of spamming one spell it means the spell is broken.

Also your niche is not 'healing vortex on malygos', thats just silly.

All instant 'burst heals' should be on a CD, and 6 seconds is what most classes have (pala and shaman, excluding swiftmend which is 15 but its also different mechanic).
    As far as i can tell without CoH there is no reason whatsoever to bring a priest to malygos, better of stacking other classes to keep ppl up during vortex. Barring us to instant casts only kills all of out heals exept CoH (and a really horrible hot that needs to be talented to even be remotely decent), and mending is way to unpredictable in that situation.

The entire point is to prevent CoH from being freely spammable, but still keep some of its situatinal use, it heals way to litte to be much good on a 6 sec CD. Being able to fire of a few in a row and the have to wait to get them back would let us keep the "'O'Shit" use, but kill the onebutton CoH spammers.

I'm happy about the nerf.

Now we'll see good priests vs facerollers.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zeelian
    As far as i can tell without CoH there is no reason whatsoever to bring a priest to malygos, better of stacking other classes to keep ppl up during vortex. Barring us to instant casts only kills all of out heals exept CoH (and a really horrible hot that needs to be talented to even be remotely decent), and mending is way to unpredictable in that situation.

The entire point is to prevent CoH from being freely spammable, but still keep some of its situatinal use, it heals way to litte to be much good on a 6 sec CD. Being able to fire of a few in a row and the have to wait to get them back would let us keep the "'O'Shit" use, but kill the onebutton CoH spammers.

Sorry but, what? O_O

Holy Shock (paladins only instant heal) heals for how much 5-6k?
    Riptide shamans only heal heals for 4-4.5k.

Both on 6 sec CD.

And you dare to say that CoH doesnt heal enough? What was a purpose of taking paladins on shaman to malygos? Doesnt matter if PoM is unpredictable or not. In vortex everyone takes dmg, and PoM jumps like crazy. And you have HoT w/o CD, which neither shamans nor paladins have.

What other classes are best to stack on vortex? I'd like you to write which and most important why they. Maybe shaman and their Healing Stream Totem for 250 HP every 2 seconds? Maybe paladins with their..

You have to understand that CoH is too good cause you can spam it. Thats biggest reason its so OP atm. I sure hope they will fix your other spells if they are indeed broken or close to that. My Healing Wave was broken along wit LHW for whole TBC, and right now its most worthless spell ever. Even Lolwell is used more ofthen than HW which is baseline, thus 'should' be used. But they are fixing things, slowly but the are (not with HW, generally). They made LHW awesome, they made our Earth Shield awesome and they made Riptide awesome, and i sure hope they will fix HW. You could see GC posts that now when CoH cant be spammed they see problems you have with your spells.

And for love of god, stop saying that you wont get a spot in raid. One spell shouldnt EVER, NEVER, EVER be a reason that someone gets spot in a raid, its a fail, epic fail to that.

And CoH heals for 2k, multiple targets , but 2k isn't enough to save them, so its pretty worthless, dun matter if heal everyone for 2k, if they need to be healed for a lot more to survive.

Better of then stacking for instance druids for more hots to hold them through, and gain additional BR/innervate.

PoM jumps like crazy, but im yet to ever see it jump to the person that actually need it.

Priests are last inline for picks as it is in many guilds, and i doubt it will get any better after this, especially since they apparently plan to nerf our regen further.

And i seriously doubt they will ever fix the rest of our spells, especially not aslong as GC is around, he seems to feel priests should be the benchwarmers and that were fine being the last pick for any spot cos we can actually do it even if were bad at it...

Like many others, i seriously wonder if they actually played their own encounters..

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zeelian
    And CoH heals for 2k, multiple targets , but 2k isn't enough to save them, so its pretty worthless, dun matter if heal everyone for 2k, if they need to be healed for a lot more to survive.

Better of then stacking for instance druids for more hots to hold them through, and gain additional BR/innervate.

PoM jumps like crazy, but im yet to ever see it jump to the person that actually need it.

Priests are last inline for picks as it is in many guilds, and i doubt it will get any better after this, especially since they apparently plan to nerf our regen further.

And i seriously doubt they will ever fix the rest of our spells, especially not aslong as GC is around, he seems to feel priests should be the benchwarmers and that were fine being the last pick for any spot cos we can actually do it even if were bad at it...

Like many others, i seriously wonder if they actually played their own encounters..
    Oh please. You mess up things on purpose or you're really THAT blind?

You talking bout malygos vortex and how other classes are better there, yet you cant tell me which classes actually are better (yea, druids have uber 629349234 HoTs, but casting every hot on every raid member is not possible). 2x CoH which you'll be able to cast during vortex + 2x PoM is WAY MORE than any shaman or paladin will be able to do. Also 2k is per 1 person, capable of crit. And it can heal up 6 people... I dont have a clue how can you say its not much. Yes, maybe for tanks its not much. But most of your raid will have 20k or around when buffed. So dont tell me 2k is not much. If it was single target lspell ike Holy Shock and Riptide, then and only then i could agree its not much. But then it wouldnt be named 'circle' in first place.

Additional BR and innervate as utility is a threat for everyone, not only healers. Same can be said by rogues 'why bring us if cat same dps and also BR/innervate, and they wont need innervate themselves' etc. Nevertheless its a valid point, and hope that your hymns will be better so you can have at least comparable additional utility.

As for PoM you did not pay attention what happens to your spells. Just cause you claim it alwyas jumps to wrong person doesnt mean it actually does. If everyone is on full hp who its supposed to jump to? Should they implement 'alwyas jump to warrior/pala/druid/DK first as there is chance some of them are tanks'?. And again you were bringing it up in context of vortex where everyone gets dmg, so how can this point be valid? How? :O

Please show me all these guilds that says 'stop priest, you're not going with us tonight cause we got better healer'. Dont you understand that guilds arent companies? They dont do it for profit, they do it for fun. They are your friends, or at least should be. If my guild would change me just because suddenly i lost my 'godlike spell' i'd leave it imideatly and tell them 'FO'. Your claim is simply lie. You say that cause 'most priests' say that. IF, and ill repeat IF, you'll ever want to change guild, they might pick up shaman over you, but belive me there can be at least 1000 other reasons than 'your CoH is on 6 sec CD'.

And how do you figured that they plan to nerf your regen? Currently no class have problems with mana, thats a simple fact. Everyone was worried bout mana regen, even shamans claimed that it will be impossible for them to keep up, yet i havent used a single pot so far.

And last thing. You doubt they will fix them, thats ok you obviously have a right to doubt it, its your choice you can spent your gametime moaning bout how awfull your char has became and how they wont ever fix your spells, or you can spent it enjoying raids with FRIENDS, who wont care that your CoH is on 6 sec CD.

First day my priest friends wont be able to keep up in raids, ill make a post to GC to remove CoH CD, and think of different way to deal with it.

And for EVERYONE who 'seriously' wonder if they ever played their own encounters... Oh god... no they didnt. They put it in game just like that. Some day a designer came to office and said 'lets have malygos who will do 10 sec aoe that takes 20k hp!'.. They didnt check if its possible to heal it, they just did it and let us test it for them!... Please, are you for real with all this questions? I know denial is good defense but, come on...

CrisisCore

Quote Originally Posted by Instant
    And for EVERYONE who 'seriously' wonder if they ever played their own encounters... Oh god... no they didnt. They put it in game just like that. Some day a designer came to office and said 'lets have malygos who will do 10 sec aoe that takes 20k hp!'.. They didnt check if its possible to heal it, they just did it and let us test it for them!... Please, are you for real with all this questions? I know denial is good defense but, come on...
    thats what the ptr is for =P
    /sarcasm

I don't think that they will introduce a new cost-mechanic like the OP's suggestion for a single spell.

What I would like to see is some more synergy between the various priest aoe healing spells. For example you would cast a CoH and it'd make your next PoH take 1 sec shorter time to cast, or you'd cast a CoH and it'd give your next Holy Nova a 30 yard radius. Stuff like that, spells working together like Riptide and the other shaman spells.

People seem to forget that the only reason vortex exists is to challege CoH Priests & Wild Growth Druids in order to make encounters less trivial... after CoH gets nerfed the content is just going to adjust to what you have at your disposal...

In addition they have found that vortex isn't as bad as first thought once people get decent stam, priests are only going to start losing their spots when the bads can no longer spam CoH and be considered a good healer... good healers will continue to get raid spots.

I have been a holy priest since BC. CLeared all content both old and current and I honestly find myself using CoH less than everyone else. Yes CoH is OP and allows mediocre players to succeed and excel on meters. However certain fights come to mind where CoH was only a bonus but my main spell was PoH. For example group healing fights in SWP such as Kalecgos, Felmyst, and even Kil Jaden. CoH was too mana inefficient to spam. Being an instant made it even worse mana wise.
    However people are right its pretty much a 6 year old with whack-a-mole skills (grid, clique, or Healbot) spell. If they up the effectiveness of CoH (ie make it like a pocket PoH instant cast) then its not so bad. Or even treat it like a mages arcane blast where the more you use it the more it costs you but increase its output slightly. For me half of being a priest is controlling my 5SR and mana management. To me that is the most fun. But thats jsut me. TBH the best priests (at least in TBC) were the ones who had to play the role of "Spirit Bitch," speccing just deep enough to get imp spirit but forgoing CoH. Pretty much slipping into a MT or OT healer. That is what gives you the skills to be a "good priest."

The CoH nerf will impact priests in general but overall it hurts Blizzards game design. I mean only instants in vortex is rough with only Hots and PoMs bouncing around and then dropping taking more damage. But we will evolve or raid composition will change.