Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Dodge vs Armor question, midigation and effective health

For a paladin, just stack block value. Paladins can sit permanently over 102.4% avoidance with holy shield up at all times, so as long as you aren't OOM/silenced, every time you actually get hit, you should be blocking. (as long as you don't block 10 times every 8 secs, which you shouldn't be doing on a boss in any case, factoring in chances to dodge/parry/miss also).

Block value with redoubt scales any block value you have on gear up by 30%, with no diminishing returns, no matter how much you stack.

Assuming you can gear for this stat in most slots without gimping your HP or other tanking stats *too* much, you could stack block value for ridiculous amounts of melee mitigation. (I can right now tank level 80 normal instances like HoL and take literally 0 melee damage from trash - much the same in level 70 heroics for trash AND bosses)

Okay, so I am going to comment on this, since its in the Paladin forums, and I assume the OP is a paladin.

I may be getting this entirely wrong, and be unaware of a tooltip malfunction, but if you are a tankadin you should never enchant anything with Agility.

If you care to ask why, Agility, for paladins, increases chance to crit and armor value (1 agi = 2 armor). Nothing else. 22 agi doesn't give .4% avoidance, it gives 44 armor.

If you think I am wrong, check a character sheet on a pally. The only stat that increase dodge rating is defense.

If you know I am wrong, please point me in the direction of something explaining why, or do a good job of it yourself.

If the agility question by the OP wasn't for Paladins, I apologize. It was an assumption because this is the pally forums.

Also, the reason why Stam/Armor are always discussed together is because ever point of Armor increase the effectiveness of your Stam. Enchants or enhancements for armor, for pallies, should be constricted to the metagem that gives 32 Stam and 2% increased armor from items. The reason you dont enchant other pieces of gear to increase armor, is because at this time there are simply far better enchants for those particular items that will make you a more effective tank, or in the least an easier tank to heal.

Sadly you are mistaken. Agility does affect pally dodge. Not dodge rating, but dodge none the less.

You were right about not bothering to enchant it, or gem for it or even worrying about it. Paladin's should not stack agility.

Next time you raid pay attention to your dodge %. If you notice it will be much higher than normal. Mine is usually 2% higher than un-buffed. See, i run with a DK all the time so i have horn of winter which adds a considerable amount of agi. It may not show it on the tool tip but it does give agi.

If you don't believe me then either enchant your weapon with mongoose and watch your dodge go up when it procs, wait for a raid and get some kind of agi buff, buy a scroll of agi off the AH, or buy some green leather item with agi on it.

Don't watch the tool tip watch the dodge % go up.

Also, i noticed we're on the same server, you can always send me a tell in game and we can argue about it there =P

Quote Originally Posted by beho
    I'm a heal this time around, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the tank with the most "oh shit" room is the best tank, and the easiest tank I've ever had to heal was 26k unbuffed, and the worst was a 40k druid.
    I think you just contradicted yourself there... The most "oh shit" room would be the tank with more hp. But then you go around and say he was the worst to heal.

TBH it depends on the fight. If you're talking about malygos or 3d sarth then a druid is not a bad choice. Theres nothing you can do to avoid a 30k - 50k spell hitting you. You just gotta suck it up and take it, druids are good at that because of their huge health pools.

Dont forgot, stam = SP = threat ... as long as you're around 30k HP, 102,4% CA everything, 1500 BV everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by monalin
    4. Get 200 + hit
    Nah, you're ranking hit far too high IMO, at under 100 hit (~90) I'm perfectly fine on threat tbh as a very defensive spec with no SotP or conviction. Agi is a good bit worse than dodge rating for pure % pre-DR assuming the ratio hasn't changed since 70 when it definately did add dodge, no idea how DR factors in though so agi>Dodge rat might well be true for a reasonable amount of dodge.

I'll need to see some reliable evidence Liquid_Beaver - solid and well known TC sites agree with Monalin, and so do I. http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37172-p...wow_3_0_wotlk/ - it appears that EJ agrees with me, and that's one of the main TC sites.

And, just to clarify people's points on it, more stam means more of a heal will be effective heal, and to have a tank healed up to full mid-fight isn't that rare on most fights, hence the use of the extra buffer - yes, healers still need the same amount of HPS, but they need to deliver less burst healing for a higher stam tank. Avoidance just reduces average steady HPS needed, mitigation reduces both burst and steady HPS needed slightly, hence why you need a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oweena
    I'd rank expertise as higher than hit..

Parry chance reduction ftw
    you arw a good tank... reduce parry spike chance...60 expetise and u'll not eat parry ftw