PvP gear for rogues.

My friend (rogue) and I (mage) have been trying 2v2 recently. He only hit 68 the day before Wrath came out, so he is undergeared and underexperienced. He is in almost fully epic gear from 10man naxx/os etc now, but refuses to get the savage set. To put this in context, we are sitting around 1500 constantly, with a 50% win ratio, so unless something changes we're not going to go up. He says that his current PvE epics are far better than the savage blues, and that if all goes right, he shouldn't be getting hit anyway. The problem is everything very rarely goes perfectly, and more often than not he dies, leaving me to finish off our first target, or 1v1 the last. How do other rogues feel about this?

Tl;dr: How do savage blues compare to 10man epics for a rogue in rogue/mage comp sitting around 1500?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: PvP gear for rogues.

He's pretty much bang on the mark. PvP gear means he loses a lot of dps and becomes a weak hitting girly rogue that dies in 3 hits instead of 2. If he is dying its probably technique more than anything. You have to use all your CD's and be very aware of your surroundings. 41/5/25 mut/prep is the spec to go atm imo as well. Sub daggers still doesnt really cut it unless u have a sweet latency. The problem with rogues, and always has been, is they cant really get hit. PvP gear will help at high end, but the savage set is really rubbish. With pvp the way it is atm u just need to be on the ball and play well, some classes will pwn u anyway but thats life. Naxx epix > savage gear imo. Deadly would be ok, i use two pieces of deadly and the rest is pve gear otherwise u cant burst opponents fast enuf and they turn around and smush u. You have a lot of CC with your combo and a fair bit of control which u need to use, if u can make fights 2 v 1 as much as possible it will work a lot better, look up some mage/rogue strats and keep practising. If he is going down first all the time then its definately technique, he should be letting u get their attention then picking one of them off out the back type thing. 2bh pvp gear for rogues really isnt worth it untill u get high level stuff and you are better off in a 3v3 or 5v5 environment if u want good ratings as a rogue, if u really want to go hard then maybe try get the hateful/deadly set but i wouldnt use savage over naxx epix.

I currently roll frost mage, rogue and we are in the 1900s.. I play the rogue and with that comp the rogue needs to have pvp gear to stay alive. In this comp the rogue will always be focused due to the frost mages survive. Without a healer rogues do not have the luxury of wearing pve gear due to the burst they will recieve doing so. I have nearly full 25man naxx gear and full hateful/deadly non sets. I choose to wear the pvp gear and we have no problem bursting down a target if i can get a sap in LoS of the mage who can set up a shatter combo with my ambush/mut opener followed by a quick restealth so that i dont get focused. Savage gear is on par with heroic gear in regards to dmg output but the survive it offers is much more valuable with the comp ur currently rolling and i assume ur rollin as an arcane mage and should be able to compensate for the rogues lack of dmg. Even at 706 resil i will get bursted down by a pve geared rogue before kidney shot wears off so it is important that the rogue not get caught and trys to stay out of stealth as little as possible.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza
    Even at 706 resil i will get bursted down by a pve geared rogue before kidney shot wears off so it is important that the rogue not get caught and trys to stay out of stealth as little as possible.
    This is my point exactly. You seem to have very good synergy with your mage partner and you have deadly gear etc. This is what i suggested was the problem, they needed to work on synergy and i dont think savage gear, which the OP was asking about, is going to help them suddenly go from 1500 to 2k rating, i'd be surprised if it made a difference at all 2bh.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter
    This is my point exactly. You seem to have very good synergy with your mage partner and you have deadly gear etc. This is what i suggested was the problem, they needed to work on synergy and i dont think savage gear, which the OP was asking about, is going to help them suddenly go from 1500 to 2k rating, i'd be surprised if it made a difference at all 2bh.
    I agree. The savage gear will not alleviate the problem as your burst will be lowered along with your hp.

rogues dont want pvp gear for the most part, it hardly increases our survivability and greatly lowers our dps, the point of a rogue is to kill someone fast or you will die usually, unless you know how to survive by using cds and buying time. personally i wear mostly pve gear for arenas, my current team is over 1960 with a moonkin (terrible spec for 2v2, if you think otherwise you dont really belong in arenas) i refuse to even wear deadly pvp gear for the most part, aside from deadly gloves, the effect is pretty amazing, deadly belt due to lack of anything better, and deadly cape, simply because ive yet to get something better from pve (theres better, it just wont drop for me)

i cant blame your partner for wanting to keep his epics over pvp gear, i would too any day.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...sher&n=Sevarin if youd like to check my armory =)