Question about Soloing

Specifically, Onyxia...I know, theres plenty of videos and probably more topics than I've already found about this subject, but I'm still not sure I quite understand the logistics of what I'm seeing/reading.

First of all, the Spec that works best for the fight. I've seen mostly Unholy stuff, but very little use of the minion, which is one of the more fun parts of me being an unholy DK (at least imo). What should I be using as far as spec instead?

Second, what kind of gear/stats should I have when I go to try this? The obvious answer would be to get to 80 and get as geared as possible, but I like to find things to break up the monotony of levelling, so is there a minimum level I should be able to do this at? Also, the usual, HP, Armor, Dodge rating, Hit rating, etc. needed to be able to kill her.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Re: Question about Soloing

Any spec can kill ony if you have good gear, I solo her full blood spec each week.. not hard

if you have bad gear I would go with unholy blight, and I think 1 will kill the whelps (only killed ony as unholy once, cant recall)

The pet isn't the best idea because he will die on phase 2, maybe even on 3.

about gear... I was in beta and soloed ony with the pvp gear you get as unholy... and right now in full 7.5 as blood, I have yet to try it as frost but I'm sure its just as easy.

I'm sure any spec you could solo ony, and almost any gear, 10 mans and 25. Just know when to use your cooldowns and when you need to heal yourself. The only hard part is the whelps if you want to call that hard.

If your trying to kill her at lvl 60? I don't think that's very smart, 70? uggg no, theres no good gear other then your starting gear when leveling up till Northrend, and even there it takes a bit before you replace everything. Just get to 80 :P

Perfectly possible at 70 with blood spec and some decent gear with glyph of DS and glyph of blood tap.
    Try it a few times to get a drift on how to manage the whelps in the best possible way and then just get'er done.

Unholy with 3 disease helps death strike healing quite a lot, so an imp rune tap + ebon plaguebringer spec would also be an option.

glyphed imp rune tap is a nice lifesaver if you f up.

I'm in the savage saronite PvP set, but level 79, you think I can solo her?

I'm low on cash and wanna raise my proffs.
    1. You're reading my comment
    2. Now you're saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
    4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
    5. You're checking it now.
    6. You're smiling.
    7. You're still reading my comment.
    8. You know all you have read is true.
    10. You didn't notice that i skipped 9.
    11. You're checking it now.
    12. You didn't notice there are only 10 facts

Thanks for the help guys, one other question...any useful macros I should be aware of? Both for Onyxia and in general?

Bump for boredom

I actually macroed rune strike into heart strike and oblit it goes on next hit w/o taking a global. isn't the biggest help when your expertise capped but helps when your off tanking.

I also did a macro for rune weapon all of my attack power boosters.. I'm orc so its one of my trinkets and blood fury then rune weapon. I'm sure the same could be done w/ garg.

easily soloable as 17/0/54 and 21/0/50...

i suspect 21/0/50 would make it really easy, as you then would have good dmg, AMZ, imp AMS, mark of blood, Rune Tap, Bone Shield, and almost the same DS healing....

IF you cant do it like this, you are doing something terribly wrong imo, no offense. Dont need macros for onyxia, common sense is more than enough.
    Don't Fwoosh me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnbar
    I actually macroed rune strike into heart strike and oblit it goes on next hit w/o taking a global. isn't the biggest help when your expertise capped but helps when your off tanking.
    Your expertise rating would have little effect on Rune Strikes activation. Outside of minimizing Parryhaste attacks that are reduced by Expertise, but that shouldn't be that significant.
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya
    Your expertise rating would have little effect on Rune Strikes activation. Outside of minimizing Parryhaste attacks that are reduced by Expertise, but that shouldn't be that significant.
    Yah, thinking expertise would have anything to do with it other than the specific scenario you stated indicates that the poster is possibly confused about how Rune Strike works. i.e. thinking it is activated when the opponent dodges or parries, when it's actually the DK him/herself.