Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,858

    Shadow rotation help

    I recently had to spec shadow for raids as my guild has gone down to 0 shadow priests and I am the closest of all our remaining priests to the hit cap. I have ample gear to do no less than above average damage (doing dailies today i was getting over 6k crits on Mind Blast), my question now is spell rotation.

    What I was looking at for my rotation is Embrace, Plague, Touch, SW:P, blast, then mind flay and SW to be a sort of "reminder" to refresh my dots. Does this seem viable? If not, what suggestions would you make? Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Shadow don't have a rotation, we got a priority in which you'll deside (on the fly) what spell to fast.

    The rotation is as follows (most important first)

    Vampiric Touch
    Devouring Plague
    Shadow Word: Pain
    Mind Blast
    Mind Flay

    SW:P will automatical be refreshed by Mind Flay, so you can ignore it from the rotation in most cases.

    Shadow Word: Death should only be used when you have to move, or don't have time to finish a full Mind Flay before a more important spell have to be cast.

    Remember to get 5 stacks of Shadow Weaving before you apply SW:P, this is VERY important.

    And most important of all: learn to properly clip your DoTs, so you don't loose ticks on reapplying.

  3. #3

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Shadow don't have a rotation,
    there is a starting rotation though

    VT - DP - MB - SW - SW:P

    this way you have 5 stacks up of weaving to apply the max damage of SW:P. VT and DP should always be on the target. MB when the cool down is up. SW:P after 5 stacks of weaving. MF if everything is up and MB is on cool down. SW only to get that extra stack of weaving in the opener, which is getting changed back to only one stack in 3.0.8, and goes back to never used unless you are trying to get the killing blow for regen or your running.
    i'm sure that's what your saying,(said rotation instead of priority) don't want the op to get the wrong impression.

  4. #4

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    there is a starting rotation though

    VT - DP - MB - SW - SW:P

    this way you have 5 stacks up of weaving to apply the max damage of SW:P. VT and DP should always be on the target. MB when the cool down is up. SW:P after 5 stacks of weaving. MF if everything is up and MB is on cool down. SW only to get that extra stack of weaving in the opener, which is getting changed back to only one stack in 3.0.8, and goes back to never used unless you are trying to get the killing blow for regen or your running.
    i'm sure that's what your saying,(said rotation instead of priority) don't want the op to get the wrong impression.
    This does work well currently, after 3.0.8 you might try something like:

    Fade-MB-VT-DP-MB-SW-SW:P as your opener, this would give you the 5 stacks of shadow weaving before applying sw.

    Also, if you have the mana for it i would recommend keeping SWD in your rotation. Many people say not to, but from many of the theory crafting numbers coming out as of late, it bumps your dps up by around 100-200 dps. To smooth it in, use it every other time you MB. That way you get that MB+SWD combo.

  5. #5

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    3.0.8 is also changing SW: D to apply only one stack of Shadow Weaving, so you'll have to DP - VT - SW: D - MB - MF - SW: P to start off initially.


  6. #6

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    This does work well currently, after 3.0.8 you might try something like:

    Fade-MB-VT-DP-MB-SW-SW:P as your opener, this would give you the 5 stacks of shadow weaving before applying sw.

    Also, if you have the mana for it i would recommend keeping SWD in your rotation. Many people say not to, but from many of the theory crafting numbers coming out as of late, it bumps your dps up by around 100-200 dps. To smooth it in, use it every other time you MB. That way you get that MB+SWD combo.
    fade? really? man get better tanks. before the first tick of vt or dp hit your tank should already have that mob waaay under control.

    the reason to not use SW is that in the time frame to use it normally a mf will fit in and do more dps. if there is a gap shorter than 1.5s and you would have to clip mf, SW is better situational as it is. also you shouldn't use MB w/o VT up your losing regen and wasting a cd.
    for 3.0.8 i'd:
    VT - DP - MB - SW - MF - SW:P
    then then same rotation w/o sw:d

  7. #7
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    there is a starting rotation though
    No there is not. It depends on the encounter.

    There's a logical way of getting 5 stacks on a stationary fight like Patchwerk, but besides from that it's situtational. If you happend to drop SW:P and 5 stacks (say Sartharion & Company), Mind Flay may be better situational than SW.

    fade? really? man get better tanks. before the first tick of vt or dp hit your tank should already have that mob waaay under control.
    Try Malygos or Sartharion without Misdirect.

    Tanks have to hit the boss to gain aggro

  8. #8

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    fade? really? man get better tanks. before the first tick of vt or dp hit your tank should already have that mob waaay under control.

    the reason to not use SW is that in the time frame to use it normally a mf will fit in and do more dps. if there is a gap shorter than 1.5s and you would have to clip mf, SW is better situational as it is. also you shouldn't use MB w/o VT up your losing regen and wasting a cd.
    for 3.0.8 i'd:
    VT - DP - MB - SW - MF - SW:P
    then then same rotation w/o sw:d
    "Simcraft tool tells us that SWD should be included in rotation. Shadow priest has +0.2xSpirit spellpower (with active Glyph of Shadow proc and TF) and as we can see only MB and SWD can proc Imp.Sprit Tap (giving us +10% to spirit and rising our in combat manaregen up to 50%). Also with 4 pieces of tier7 we have +10% critchance to SWD => more damage and more Imp.Spirit Tap procs."

  9. #9

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    No there is not. It depends on the encounter.

    There's a logical way of getting 5 stacks on a stationary fight like Patchwerk, but besides from that it's situtational. If you happend to drop SW:P and 5 stacks (say Sartharion & Company), Mind Flay may be better situational than SW.
    Try Malygos or Sartharion without Misdirect.

    Tanks have to hit the boss to gain aggro
    Exactly what i was trying to say. I would rather fade and be safe, than risk any chance or pulling aggro at the beginning of the fight. Especially on sartharion +3, If your hunter messes up (or dont have one) or your tank messes up; then you're dead.

  10. #10

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    No there is not. It depends on the encounter.

    There's a logical way of getting 5 stacks on a stationary fight like Patchwerk, but besides from that it's situtational. If you happend to drop SW:P and 5 stacks (say Sartharion & Company), Mind Flay may be better situational than SW.
    Try Malygos or Sartharion without Misdirect.

    Tanks have to hit the boss to gain aggro
    ok so for 99.9999999999999% of the time i am correct got ya or did i miss a 9 in there. i mean really unless your busting out trash and have the stacks up already your saying thats not what you use to get the 5 stacks up the most effecient way?

    i don't think the op has gotten up to that content if asking about a rotation(if so sorry) and isn't that what were talking about not that one in a million time that none of these rotation topics matter?

  11. #11

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    Exactly what i was trying to say. I would rather fade and be safe, than risk any chance or pulling aggro at the beginning of the fight. Especially on sartharion +3, If your hunter messes up (or dont have one) or your tank messes up; then you're dead.
    again getting a little off topic i think. op is not talking about whats your one naxx fight rotation? or what you use in some random encounter. i agree with both of you. i get it.but trying to tell a new to shadow trying to raid spriest that way more info is going to get him to fade every pull every time and be oom every fight. sometimes we give too much info to be correct and not think about what the op is asking...

  12. #12
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    SimCraft also says I should do 1000 less dps than I do. It's made of bull.

    Numbers are good, logic are better, experience is best.

  13. #13

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Numbers are good, logic are better, experience is best.
    that should be in a signature that's great...

  14. #14

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    ok so for 99.9999999999999% of the time i am correct got ya or did i miss a 9 in there. i mean really unless your busting out trash and have the stacks up already your saying thats not what you use to get the 5 stacks up the most effecient way?

    i don't think the op has gotten up to that content if asking about a rotation(if so sorry) and isn't that what were talking about not that one in a million time that none of these rotation topics matter?
    So if we are talking 3.0.8 efficiency of getting SW:P up. (this does not take into account for haste, as it will be different for different priests)

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    for 3.0.8 i'd:
    VT - DP - MB - SW - MF - SW:P
    (1.5s +1.5s+ 1.5s+ 1.5s+ 3s = 9s to get swp up)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    This does work well currently, after 3.0.8 you might try something like:
    Fade-MB-VT-DP-MB-SW-SW:P as your opener, this would give you the 5 stacks of shadow weaving before applying sw.
    (1.5s+ 1.5s+ 1.5s+ 1.5s+ 1.5s = 7.5s to get swp up.) fade is not counted in the time as it would be done just before the pull. not to mention the opening mindblast has the chance of procing spirit tap and glyph of spirit.

  15. #15

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    (1.5s +1.5s+ 1.5s+ 1.5s+ 3s = 9s to get swp up)
    yeah i know that 9 sec is a pain but i'd rather have that than lose out on the weaving proc...

    about Fade-MB-VT-DP-MB-SW-SW:P. i get that you have a % of your crit chance to get the spirit regen. but if cast after VT its a 100% change and your crit % to get both regens and mana regen for everyone not just you. i feel the regen of the party is more important than just my own. I don't see any advantage of using it before vt, if i'm missing something point it out...

  16. #16

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    yeah i know that 9 sec is a pain but i'd rather have that than lose out on the weaving proc...

    about Fade-MB-VT-DP-MB-SW-SW:P. i get that you have a % of your crit chance to get the spirit regen. but if cast after VT its a 100% change and your crit % to get both regens and mana regen for everyone not just you. i feel the regen of the party is more important than just my own. I don't see any advantage of using it before vt, if i'm missing something point it out...
    You still are casting it after VT, its nearly the same rotation as yours. Just instead of using MF at the end before applying swp, you use MB at the beginning because its quicker. Thats all that changes. And also if you get those procs on that opening MB they apply to everything you put up afterwards including SWP. I mean you could change it to:
    VT- MB- DP- SWD- MB- SWP.
    I guess that would be the most efficient opener. 3 chances to proc spirit tap and glyph of shadow before SWP and 2 MB for mana regen.

  17. #17

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    SimCraft also says I should do 1000 less dps than I do. It's made of bull.

    Numbers are good, logic are better, experience is best.

    Simcraft doesn't add in that your Devouring Plague is being spread by a DK, is my guess.

  18. #18

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mstone2005
    VT- MB- DP- SWD- MB- SWP.
    that's it! i like that alot, thanks...

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,858

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Thank you all for the input. I did a 10-man Vault and I see the point. It is hard to make a "set" rotation since the cooldowns of MB and SW are spread out. I was at about 2300 dps and I'm still about 85 shy of the hit cap, so I think I'm doing pretty well.

  20. #20

    Re: Shadow rotation help

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    Thank you all for the input. I did a 10-man Vault and I see the point. It is hard to make a "set" rotation since the cooldowns of MB and SW are spread out. I was at about 2300 dps and I'm still about 85 shy of the hit cap, so I think I'm doing pretty well.
    gg. if your looking for a guid on getting more +hit check this out...

    http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/12/08...tting-the-cap/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •