'new' Spellstones/Firestones

Ok, so I've just started on my lock again and just noticed that they changed these two so that they're now more like the oils you used to be able to coat your weapons with Firestones now increasing direct damage and crit and spellstones increasing periodic damage and haste.

Are they actually any good now? I'm only lvl 70 at the moment, and still using up my stash of wizard oil before my weapons get too high for it to be used on. It's only a 1% in damage increase from each stone, but I suppose every little bit helps?

Re: 'new' Spellstones/Firestones

I love the new stones, use it in every raid.

Wizard Oil has been discontinued, can't use 'em on lvl80 weaponry. So it's your only option now, basically.

I think it's more about the haste and the crit then the actual dmg boost. I use spellstone what ever I do, 60 haste isn't that bad

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Free enchants, what's not to like?

Using the Fire Stone for Crit + 1% direct damage, cause i think that is the best for DPS as a destro.

Think the Spell Stone with Hit + 1% indirect damage is more for DOTs so afflicition.

Correct me if im wrong 8)
    EverQuest (2000-2002)
    Lineage 2 (2004-2007)
    World of Warcraft (2005-Present)
    Age of Conan (2008-2009)
    AION (2009 - 3m)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox
    Using the Fire Stone for Crit + 1% direct damage, cause i think that is the best for DPS as a destro.

Think the Spell Stone with Hit + 1% indirect damage is more for DOTs so afflicition.

Well since you ask for it.

First of all the Spellstone is Haste rating and not Hit. Secondly, assuming no particular stacking, the haste one will benefit both speccs more than the crit one.

if someone offered me 1% damage id grab it and run far before they had a second thought=p
    I tasted bacon.. one day..

I still miss the old dispel mechanic on spellstones though. It'd be really cool if you could make a level 70 version that still did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox

The only real answer is to use a spreadsheet.

But having said that:
    I can't imagine a gear level where the firestone is better than the spellstone. Haste is pretty much better point for point for most specs, but the spellstone also gives more points than the firestone.

Previous posts are right on the money, here: while the two are _relatively_ close in terms of dps gain, the spellstone is generally better than firestone. Yes, it's better even if you're destro.

There might be an oddball exception if you have an insane amount of haste on your gear, are destro, and have an insanely low crit rating, but given that a percent of haste is worth so much more than a percent of crit, and that the spellstone provides almost 2 percent haste whereas fire provides barely more than 1 percent crit, spellstone is going to be the winner nearly every time.

While I truly enjoy the new stones for PVE, I really wish they had left the old PVP stone that removes magic effects... would be relly helpful against these retardedly strong casters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!