The fix to lightwell (from a rogue)

So the devs keep saying that lightwell is a great spell, but they don't understand why people don't use it. I bet if your groups used all the light wells you put down, then you all would love the spell.

To the 4 out of 5 wow players that don't visit forums and just play very casually, they don't even know what the light well does. they see this thing on the floor that looks like a lock's cookie jar but it provides no cookies. after clicking it a couple times and being utterly disappointed (if they ever click it at all), they make a mental note to disregard all future instances of the object.

To the next 15% who know what it does but aren't hardcore theorycrafting players or 25 man raiders, they know they should use it, but when they really need it, they forget its there. Some of these might be used to other healing classes, and expect the healer to do the healing rather than having to go click something to heal themselves. It's like not running instances with a lock for a long time, then when there's one in the party you forget to use the healthstones.

To the 5% hard core players who are running the more difficult content, I imagine they have enough to worry about during a boss encounter that they don't want to keep a note of where the lightwells are. Although of all the players, these are probably the only ones who use the thing anyway.

So why not make the lightwell an AoE HoT centerend around the object instead of a click here type deal? Make it so in order to use the lightwell, players don't have to USE the lightwell. Give it a total heal cap or whatever they need to do to balance it, but as a mechanic, all they have to do is remove the requirement of having the players act on the light well. I think this would make it a much more useful spell.

Re: The fix to lightwell (from a rogue)

I personally think the fix is obvious. Blizzard implemented smart heals already and light well is placed in a certain spot by the priest. So, why not just turn light well into a passive smart heal font that heals the group that it is put next to. Problem solved. No one has to click on it, its doing its job, and the priest is still basically controlling who is using it because of positioning. Its still got a limited number of charges and is on a 3 minute cool down so doing this would be a long way from making it overpowered.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

I think that sounds like a good idea. Instead of a well they could call it a totem, and instead of priests they could call them shaman.
    We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking that created them.

I think that sounds like a good idea. Instead of a well they could call it a totem, and instead of priests they could call them shaman.
    Win.

I think a little more interesting idea would be make it big, bright and glowy, and let it heal anyone who runs through it. That requires much less effort but still requires some.

Quote Originally Posted by Raniere
    /concur
    ffs doing this takes away yet another totem's usefulness. we lost SoE, tons of classes can provide mana regen, dk's have improved melee haste as well, ffs there goes way too much, you wont take my only useful water totem!

As I just said in another thread...Make each tick of lightwell remove a poison or disease.

Benefits

Gives priests a poison dispel but needs to be trained like shaman curse thing
    Gives other players a reason to click it and makes them think they are dispelling like a pro.
    Give priests revenge on rogues and deathknights by loling at their poison/diseases in pvp.
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

As a warlock, I wish more priests would spec into Lightwell in its current form. In addition to its obvious uses, being able to stand next to a Lightwell while DPSing, then click it for a heal after a couple of lifetaps is really nice, and saves priests mana on damage-intensive fights. Of course with SL/Haunt/Fel Armor this is less necessary, but it's still nice.

Additionally there are quite a few fights now where it would be very handy if more priests would use it, though admittedly I don't know enough about the current Holy tree to know what they'd be giving up to take "LOLwell."

they already fixed lightwell. It's actually a decent spell. the fact people are too stupid to use it has little bearing. (or priests are too stupid to tell people to use it)

I raid with people who pay attention and like to stay alive. they use the lightwell.

It is a bit clunky. however that is balanced out by the fact you can put one down and it can heal people for ~9k without taking any more globals or cast time.
    it can also be placed 40+ yards away, which boils down to a priest being in 2 places at once.

priests removing poison=completely broken in pvp. much as I'd like it. stoneform is already godly.

i didnt read but to fix lightwell.. make it so you dont target it whenever you click it... most people dont use it just cuz it makes them untarget the boss

Quote Originally Posted by Thurne
    priests removing poison=completely broken in pvp. much as I'd like it. stoneform is already godly.
    What is broken is one of the seven priest races being able to remove poisons and the others not at all. Stoneform has a long cooldown I know, but removing crippling poison and gaining some distance while your buddy is slowing down the rogue, popping it when you've stumbled into a Snake Trap or generally laughing at a mutilate-rogue, DK or feral for 8 seconds is honestly a bit too much of an advantage for a racial. It opens up whole new possibilities for your PvP-play that arguably not even Shadowmeld can match.

I must say i've heard and read many lightwell suggestions, all seem really good but a "copy" of some other class (make it a totem like shamans for example). But first time i see a suggestion from a rogue!

I think one of the most nice suggestions i've seen was :
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....75989665&sid=1

I really liked it, though i'm usually pveing, i tend to skip this talent (for pvp i pick it, mainly for self healing threw stunn effects and silence). I took lightwell for a "test drive" for 2 weeks including: nax 10/25, malygos 10/25, satharion 3 drakes 10/25, and found it absolutly useless, beside puting it near myself to use instead of binding heal or near the tank (it's also really good to mark a location), remains skipable for pve use to my veiw.

I think lightwell needs some adjustment, same with our hymm's.

My main problem with the lightwell is you lose focus when clicking it (since it's a object).

Making it like a Soulwell would help, ALOT.

Make it like a heal bomb that heals 5 of the nearest players. Cast it and it goes off in 5 or 10 secs.....changes color as it ticks down so the raiders can easily tell when it is gonna pop. Let it heal for the same amount as a players GH. Cooldown? 2 minutes?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by talrob
    As I just said in another thread...Make each tick of lightwell remove a poison or disease.

Benefits

Gives priests a poison dispel but needs to be trained like shaman curse thing
    Gives other players a reason to click it and makes them think they are dispelling like a pro.
    Give priests revenge on rogues and deathknights by loling at their poison/diseases in pvp.
    While we really need a way to remove poisons (not only for pvp as a defense against rogues, but also for pve, there's a shitload of heavy poison damage in heroics), this would be a bad move.

Why?

It would be mandatory for 5mans, and even PVP as a healer. Disc would suddenly not be viable anymore, and people would, again, go "LOL spec holy if you want to heal n00b!".

Pretty much that.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

We need a ability to remove poisons as much as druid need one to remove diseases.

Diversity is good, thank you. We beat DKs, druid beat rogues.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    We need a ability to remove poisons as much as druid need one to remove diseases.

Diversity is good, thank you. We beat DKs, druid beat rogues.
    Fuck PVP. I've had an epic-equipped priest die on me in heroic HOL because of the poison from those giants (granted he probably wasn't the brightest priest in the world, but still...). Seconds Bossfight in Utgarde Pinnacle is also a PITA for healing priests. Ajzol isn't that bad, but poison dispell still helps. And lots of others I can't think of right now because I need to get back to programming again.

But there aren't many (if any at all) fights where you NEED to dispell diseases. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Heigan, and there you will ALWAYS have a class capable of dispelling diseases anyway.

Poison dispell is king in 5mans. And usually, diseases give negative stats, while poisons tick for a SHITLOAD of damage these days.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

The only time i've ever seen lightwell be remotely useful was when a holy priest would drop one next to themself and use it whenever they personally needed a heal... and even then there are plenty of other options that are far more enticing...

Personally remove the spell, it's been in effect since classic and people barely use it... they can't keep telling the community it's a good spell whent he community in effect hasn't used it ever. The fact its not being used should be a shining bright light to the fact it needs a complete makeover, go back to the drawing board and come up with something different.

15+ Year Old Account

[quote=Worshaka ]
    The only time i've ever seen lightwell be remotely useful was when a holy priest would drop one next to themself and use it whenever they personally needed a heal... and even then there are plenty of other options that are far more enticing...

Personally remove the spell, it's been in effect since classic and people barely use it... they can't keep telling the community it's a good spell whent he community in effect hasn't used it ever. The fact its not being used should be a shining bright light to the fact it needs a complete makeover, go back to the drawing board and come up with something different.
    [/quote

It's a good spell..

IF you are using it in arena and
    IF you use it before you get stunned/silenced and
    IF you happen to be stunned right next to it and
    IF you have the glyph for it

Too much IFs really, if only one of them is not met, the spell is pretty much useless indeed.

I think lightwell is a pretty decent spell for pvp, actually. The arena doors open and you see a DK and Retpal... POM, Shield, Renew and a lightwell (which can be clicked multiple times, even while stunned...) will keep you up atleast long enough for your partner to peel. And since you're more than likely pillar humping, once you're free of stuns you can run back to the other side of the pillar and grab a mana free HoT.

As far as it removing rogue poisons, that would be nice but probably still not enough to combat deadly brew. Nerf poison proc-rates IMO.

PvE: Throw it down in the middle of grob's room and people can click it on their way back from releasing (dropping?) their diseases... among other uses.