Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    I personally absolutely love achievements. But i never put an achievement before more serious things. Like when a pug insists on trying achievements and we wipe I'm like "dudes.. in your own time..". But yeah im so addicted to the DING!

  2. #42

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    I use achivements to "judge" a player time spend in wow and dedication.
    Lets say some guy apply to my guild, he has some epics but the rest of gear is not so good.
    And then i see he has 5000+ achievement points. I would take that guy in a blink cuz only dedicated players can get 5k points. So yes achives are a way to show that u play this game and that u are not a retard.

    PS. having 1k points won't make u less of a dedicated player, but 5k will show that for sure.

  3. #43

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    I think the achievements are there to keep the hook into you. At first I didn't buy into them pre-wotlk but then as I got bored waiting for the expansion to come out I started knocking out accomplishments full tilt hoping to eke one last ounce out of the game, then I realized...I'm still doing shit I really never cared to do in the first place, only now I get 10 "achievement points" for doing something I've done 100 times before -- clearing WC, capping flags in a BG, etc.

    Then WotLK hit and I started playing a DK. I soon fell in love with the class, changed mains, and had my DK 80 in less than a week. Now I look at my near barren achievements list and think, "why even bother?" If I try to get near my prior standing that I had on my Druid, Shaman, or Warlock I'll be spending weeks worth of time grinding through monotonous old dreary content or dumping metric tons of gold into buying mounts or leveling professions to X-extent... why? For a mount that's 2 shades a different color then one I can get on the way to getting the achievement?

    It boils down to E-peen in the end, a "mine is bigger than yours" argument that wields no fruit. Who cares about e-peens? I've never seen one that could do anything close to what my own RL flesh covered dangle monster can do
    Trust the tale not the teller.

  4. #44

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    ive given my opinion, i didnt say you should agree, i merely stated what i thought. and how i came to those conclusions by giving arguments, i didnt however ask to be personally attacked, i guess you have never learned to debate, whenever attacking someone personally due to age or language usage (not my motherlanguage) is mostly for very dumb people, those that actually answer opinions do this with an opinion based on arguments hence the /discuss, a discussion is facts built up by arguments, it has however nothing to do with age, language or fe. skin color height or what not

    if you wish to disagree with me please come with arguments and not with troll remarks thank you

    ps. im 21 years off age, and im mediocre geared, if you do not wish to discuss it then dont answer
    I know you didn't ask you be personally attacked. I read your message. I simply decided you were an idiot. I didn't as you should agree with my personal attacks. I was merely giving you my opinions.

    Why can't you simply discuss my opinions of you? Debate them? Instead of getting all defensive why don't you constructively respond to my post like I tried to do to yours? Because you can't. They are all absolute opinions of a harsh nature, and not worth debating. Much like your post.

    Also, taking the high road when you get verbally (or textually?) smashed doesn't work on me. Sorry. You might as well just not respond, because I have nothing better to do right now than piss away time on these forums (like everyone else), and you gave me lots of ammo.

    P.S. I've had to deal with bad grammar all my life, as I am an avid fan of the internet. I can see past that, and you're still retarded. Also, your body's age does not mirror your minds age. Even though that is a general rule I'd like to point out that specifically applies to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Il1dan
    Sorry bro but it is mmo-champion the #1 QQ web site on the net

  5. #45

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    Achievements are crap. Whenever a group says hey lets do this and that achievement, I usually just ignore it or ruin it if i can. Cba getting 10 points for doing something as stupid as killing XX in xx seconds. Make proper content, instead of creating these cheapass achievements, I would be okay with it if there was content ingame, but when they replace content with achievements then I'm getting anoyed.
    i love to ignore morons like you who are ignorant idiots and think always about yourself to ruin fun for rest of team

  6. #46

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    @the people who think there isn't much content in WOTLK....

    1) Northrend alone is bigger than outland, and about half the size of one of our old world continents.
    2) 10 new zones, including basically an outdoor non-instanced BG, 1 new BG, 2 new arena's
    3) like 15 new factions...
    4) 12 instances, 4 raids...
    5) a hero class, new talents and spells for all classes,
    6) new professions/materials/recipies, new creatures, new effects, new mount system (vehicles)
    7) a bajillion new quests..
    8) old/new lore...
    9) achievements

    i'm sure you missed 3/4 of this 'content' because you were using carbonite/questhelper and didn't bother to read the quest text, and were too busy looking at the arrow in your race to 80.. and now you're bored.... give me a break...

    @people who don't like achievements ...

    nobody is forcing them down your throat.... just because you failed at getting your "Jenkins" title and are mad at the world doesnt mean you have to ruin it for everybody.

    personally, i don't activeley chase achievements, if a group wants to do one, great, ill help best i can. it does give me something to do while waiting on raids to start.

    It's just a game.

  7. #47

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    teh achievement system is just a weak copy of warhammers tome of knowledge dont think ive looked at wow's one since the first day it was about. dont use titles and theres not really any other point to it

  8. #48
    Mechagnome Yerbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    609

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    There is quite a difference in saying LF1M for achivement run (a run which I would ignore) and then LF1M and then getting to the instance and being told hey lets us do this achievement, which I couldnt care less about. And all the hate aside, I'm not close to being elitist in anyway I just don't like play wow or any other game for achievements. And lets face it most of the achievements are pointless (collect XX pets, kiss X critters and whatnot), I can see the point in some of them because they try to make people do raids/dungeons in a certain none typical way, but imo I would be fine to kill Sath 3D without any achievements just for the loot, and they could use the same mechanism for all the other bosses with achievements. If you could kill patch within 3min you would get 1 extra piece of loot, and people would be happy to do it every week instead of just once.
    You are moving the goalposts to suit your argument. Your original post never differentiated between runs where the invitee disclosed that an achievement was involved, and those where you weren't told until you had committed yourself.

    Either way, it is entirely unacceptable to 'ruin' another player's attempt. If you don't like the achievement aspect of the run, explain your position and bow out, rather than sabotaging their effort.

    That said, surely in those cases the run itself was enticing to you - else you wouldn't have gone in the first place. So, try playing the run rather than the achievement. Aim for the loot rather than the ding. It isn't as though the achievement is the only potential positive outcome to be gained.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

  9. #49

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    To Amgyn

    @the people who think there isn't much content in WOTLK....

    1) Northrend alone is bigger than outland, and about half the size of one of our old world continents.
    2) 10 new zones, including basically an outdoor non-instanced BG, 1 new BG, 2 new arena's
    3) like 15 new factions...
    4) 12 instances, 4 raids...
    5) a hero class, new talents and spells for all classes,
    6) new professions/materials/recipies, new creatures, new effects, new mount system (vehicles)
    7) a bajillion new quests..
    old/new lore...
    9) achievements

    What you say is not a lot of new content. I agree you got tonns of excellent quests - agreed. But what is content for one type of player is not content for the other. Being in a guild that likes to raid, its obvious, painfully, that raiding is not a focus of Blizzard - lack of content. At start of BC you had a lot more raiding content - from Karazhan = Naxx, you could move to Gruul (2 bossess = Maly+Sarth), then 6 bossess in SSC, and then 4 bossess in The Eye.

    After that you had MT Hijal, then Black temple (first content patch!!!!). Then you had 2nd content patch Zul Aman, then 3rd content patch Sunwell... compare that please with current Naxx +2 drakes, and you will see why people say there is no content. Professions are quick to level, and dungeons don't contain any rare recepies to run for. 15 new factions is lol... 3 are important likely, and I am exalted with all of them...

    Lets just hope Ulduar lives up to promise to deliver something for everyone.

  10. #50

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    @the people who think there isn't much content in WOTLK....

    1) Northrend alone is bigger than outland, and about half the size of one of our old world continents.
    2) 10 new zones, including basically an outdoor non-instanced BG, 1 new BG, 2 new arena's
    3) like 15 new factions...
    4) 12 instances, 4 raids...
    5) a hero class, new talents and spells for all classes,
    6) new professions/materials/recipies, new creatures, new effects, new mount system (vehicles)
    7) a bajillion new quests..
    8) old/new lore...
    9) achievements

    i'm sure you missed 3/4 of this 'content' because you were using carbonite/questhelper and didn't bother to read the quest text, and were too busy looking at the arrow in your race to 80.. and now you're bored.... give me a break...

    @people who don't like achievements ...

    nobody is forcing them down your throat.... just because you failed at getting your "Jenkins" title and are mad at the world doesnt mean you have to ruin it for everybody.

    personally, i don't activeley chase achievements, if a group wants to do one, great, ill help best i can. it does give me something to do while waiting on raids to start.

    i couldnt disagree more,
    1. your correct
    2. correct again.
    3. no one cares about factions you cant get anything from rep to revered for the 1 you need for your head enchants then farm naxx coz the epics you get there are better than what is buyable
    4. instances are a good way to lvl but since the loot is inferior to kara 25 its again not usefull + its 3mannable so not really a challenge either. as to raids, yes there 2 bosses u can 1shot with a totally undergeared raid, 1 instance which everyone knows already and if you dont then you read up on it for a couple mins and 1 good fight (malygos)
    5. yes, but again most people will stick with their main especially nostalgic ones like me who want to have their main stay their main,
    6. the profession isnt really exciting tho, and the recipes are farmable inside a week.
    7. if you like quests have fun, imo just a means to an end (reaching 80 quickly)
    8/9 :P yeh read my first post

    so basicly theres 1 bossfight which is actual oldshool new content (difficulty wise) imba...

  11. #51

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by eu.zulu.shinthar
    think about za 4 in time...
    think about how hard it was at the beginning...
    think about how easy it became in the end..

    achievments are the same
    /sign


    i don't care about achievment that give nothing but points ....... title why not if i would have time to do them instaed of farming levelling alt so i probably will never do them ....... mouts interesting but sooo long and you have to find a bunch of people for them


    anyway as our friend above have stated they'll problably trivial when we'll get ulduar gear or even better

    it's just a matter of time and i really don't care .


    PS : the only good thing is that some of them like safety dance makes people caring more about doing the good thing

  12. #52

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    from what ive seen so far in game aswell as on fora, is that most people tend to think this achievement system awesome (as if they forget that blizzard just didnt have enough content and this is just there to fill in the time)

    people talk in guildchat or whispers to me all the time: !! look i got this achievement or hey look what i did..

    is there anyone else out there who like me really doesnt care about the achievments?? yes yes i know blizzard will give some wellfare epics in the future for points but so what? i mean you raid you get loot thats te point off the game, to never have the best possible gear yet to try to gain it nontheless.

    stories and such is a nice timefiller but no more than that, eventually it comes down to what gear you have, gear is and will always be the movement factor in world off warcraft (whether you agree or not is not important) this is for the majority off people that play WoW true.

    thus.. achievements are useless, the only thing you can do is show off, and tbh no one in his right mind will ask if you have done a certain achievement when pugging a heroic for example, they will just ask what your gear stats are like and eithre take you or not.. whether or not you killed some dragon with 2 or 3 baby dragons attached to it doesnt matter..

    /discuss away
    well i agree with your assesments of the facts, but strongly disagree with your conclusion.

    yes achievments are "pointless" (oh the irony). but isnt that the nature of anything that is available just for flavor?

    there are more and more workintensive (from a creators point of view) flavoritems in this game, which do not help your actual progress, but thats in the nature of an rpg?

    achievments are a secondary system to something thats in this game for al long time,
    but until now you had to make videos for proof, or keep the complementary and often useless item for it to "brag" about it.

    although for completion of this there need to be more achievments only the realy insane will get. for soloing stuff maybe. yes, not all classes could get them, but those wouldnt be there to GET them.

    a good example is the fishing contest, showing someone your arcanite rod would give any fishing advise a bit more oomph, since you aperently like fishing enough to compete, AND knew how to win. nowadays you can show this of by an achievment, making the rod unnescesairy for that purpose.

    and concerning their uselessnes, they are called achievments, and thats what they do.
    they tell you that you achieved something, a feeling generaly counted as "positiv" in almost any way for any human; achieving something is something cool and fun. even if its kinda pointless, and you didnt change the world.
    trying something and succseeding and knowing SOMEONE noticed is cool.

    and i dont count them as content. they add nothing, other than a system to show what you did. so beating a boss under certain conditions isnt new content. its "just" a system that details your history of deeds better, and shows things you did unarguably instead of people calling you a fraud when telling a true but unbelievable thing you witnessed/ where part of.

    or to put it in one sentence:

    achievments are the new highscores. (and thats in general not only in wow)

  13. #53

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    \tbh no one in his right mind will ask if you have done a certain achievement when pugging a heroic for example, they will just ask what your gear stats are like and eithre take you or not.. whether or not you killed some dragon with 2 or 3 baby dragons attached to it doesnt matter..

    /discuss away

    I would like to point out you are false here. At least on my server raid pugs always ask for people with the achievements before they invite them to the pug. They make sure to tell you to link achievement when whispering stats.

    It would have been nice to have these when people were looking for groups to do speed runs of kara.

  14. #54

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    oh, and btw

    even before the implementation people had fun with things that worked kinda in that way.

    farming furbys in winterspring and after doing the demonquest going back to thrall just to be anounced to everyone in org that you where bored enough to farm to exalted.

    putting up the first head of a raidboss in those cities.

    opening of the AQ gates.

    all those things worked kinda like some achievments to tell the rest of the players who did what.

  15. #55

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    I would be fine to kill Sath 3D without any achievements just for the loot, and they could use the same mechanism for all the other bosses with achievements. If you could kill patch within 3min you would get 1 extra piece of loot, and people would be happy to do it every week instead of just once.
    I believe blizzard has realized this and is adding similar hard modes to many Ulduar bosses so that doing them the hard way doesn't just mean a fancy achievement/mount/title, it means better loot and therefore makes sense from a progression point of view.

  16. #56

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    3. no one cares about factions you cant get anything from rep to revered for the 1 you need for your head enchants then farm kara coz the epics you get there are better than what is buyable
    4. instances are a good way to lvl but since the loot is inferior to kara 25 its again not usefull + its 3mannable so not really a challenge either. as to raids, yes there 2 bosses u can 1shot with a totally undergeared raid, 1 instance which everyone knows already and if you dont then you read up on it for a couple mins and 1 good fight (malygos)
    5. yes, but again most people will stick with their main especially nostalgic ones like me who want to have their main stay their main,
    6. the profession isnt really exciting tho, and the recipes are farmable inside a week.
    7. if you like quests have fun, imo just a means to an end (reaching 80 quickly)
    8/9 :P yeh read my first post

    so basicly theres 1 bossfight which is actual oldshool new content (difficulty wise) imba...
    3) people who don't have time to find groups or raids care. This content is for them, with a little bonus for the min/maxers.
    4) i agree with you here. but i could just use the argument that not everybody runs instances for loot. Some run them for badges, some for exp, some for fun, some for rare sexy looking sword (not stats), some for achievments...
    5) im not sure what your point was.. 8)
    6) they are farmable by YOU in a week. i'm still not even exalted with scryer yet :'(

    Quote Originally Posted by Gron
    To Amgyn


    What you say is not a lot of new content. I agree you got tonns of excellent quests - agreed. But what is content for one type of player is not content for the other. Being in a guild that likes to raid, its obvious, painfully, that raiding is not a focus of Blizzard - lack of content. At start of BC you had a lot more raiding content - from Karazhan = Naxx, you could move to Gruul (2 bossess = Maly+Sarth), then 6 bossess in SSC, and then 4 bossess in The Eye.

    After that you had MT Hijal, then Black temple (first content patch!!!!). Then you had 2nd content patch Zul Aman, then 3rd content patch Sunwell... compare that please with current Naxx +2 drakes, and you will see why people say there is no content. Professions are quick to level, and dungeons don't contain any rare recepies to run for. 15 new factions is lol... 3 are important likely, and I am exalted with all of them...

    Lets just hope Ulduar lives up to promise to deliver something for everyone.
    i can argue you with about types of contents VS type of player. and yes, if all you care about is raids then 4 raids is not a lot. however with raids being WoW's "end-game" content, you can't expect them to add 12 raids at launch. quests - starting content --- TONNES at start of launch, probably won't many new quests zones later.... instances - middle content, a fair amount of instances at start, my guess they will keep adding instances at a reasonable rate... raids - end game content- expect to see bigger, better and more raids to come.

    to be honest, i am not too optimistic about ulduar shutting people up and delivering "hardcore content"... as i have come to the conclusion that blizzard will never satisfy the most vocal players.
    It's just a game.

  17. #57

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    All hail Roger! The king of this thread! I salute you mate! That's some nice anti jerk posts right there
    "Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil because I'm the baddest motherfucker in the whole damn valley."

  18. #58

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    Achievements are crap. Whenever a group says hey lets do this and that achievement, I usually just ignore it or ruin it if i can. Cba getting 10 points for doing something as stupid as killing XX in xx seconds. Make proper content, instead of creating these cheapass achievements, I would be okay with it if there was content ingame, but when they replace content with achievements then I'm getting anoyed.
    you're a tool

  19. #59

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by talitu
    teh achievement system is just a weak copy of warhammers tome of knowledge dont think ive looked at wow's one since the first day it was about. dont use titles and theres not really any other point to it
    because warhammer was the first game to use achievements.

    (hint LotR before war)

    (hint various console games before that)

  20. #60

    Re: achievements yes or no?

    I love the Achievement stuff. Have tons of fun doing a couple of them. Yeh some are crazy logn or too boring to do. But it will pay out in some ways.
    Getting cool mounts and pets or tabards...even though i hate tabards as a caster.
    But wonderin...the person hating on these...how many points u got...mad cause u dont have an easy one done...or Jeenkins title u cant get...or u just fail at this game and cant do things. QUIT ALREADY!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •