Page 1 of 15
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

    If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.


    Why don't you tank?

  2. #2

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    I have a DK and here's why:

    1. DK tanking is awkward.
    2. I can instead be top dps of the group.



  3. #3

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    because they'd rather you do all the hard work on your prot pala, then ninja the tank loot off you for "offspec".

  4. #4

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

    If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.


    Why don't you tank?
    Same reason why all priests / druids / shamans / pali's don't heal - different playstyles appeal to different people. The class mechanics and how they relate to whatever playstyle they prefer are often what draw a person to a specific job.

  5. #5

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    While I always have and always will love tanking, I can understand a little bit why certain don't like to tank. 2 reasons. One, they want to top damage meters. Two, it is MUCH easier to solo/grind/farm/quest/etc as a dps spec. I level prot from 1-70, then decided to try ret 70-80. IMO, it was much faster, however I just wasnt a fan of it. Just my 2 cents.

  6. #6

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    1) Because I PVP as Ret

    2) Because my guild already has enough tanks.

    3) I respec to heal quite often and respecing to tank as frequently would kill me financially.

    Dual Spec will fix this, PERIOD.

    Lack of healers and tanks will be ELIMINATED once dual spec is active.

    It will also spawn a larget group of people who have always healed trying tanking for the 1st time and sucking and vice versa between all specs.

  7. #7

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    because I hate tanking?

  8. #8

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons.
    Because, unlike you, I don't have an alt for farming/dps'ing. So I'm stuck with 1 char.

    And unless you'll pay me to specc prot and back again, I can't and won't specc, because I need my char be able to farm/grind/kill with ease.

  9. #9

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    For my warrior I'm fury until I have the gear and or dual spec hits. It so much faster than trying to do dailies and quests as prot.

    For my druid same as above but actually really waiting for dual spec.

    As well, with the aoe zerg in Heroic's frankly I'm tired of getting bitched at for losing agro when I get like .2 seconds of initial agro time.

  10. #10

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by sixlocal
    I have a DK and here's why:

    1. DK tanking is awkward.
    How's tanking with DK awkward? I have a DK myself also and I love tanking, and I'm pretty good at it also in my opinion. I don't think it's anything near awkward.

    My DK is one of the offtanks in my guild.

  11. #11

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Because most of them are DPS fucktards who want to be 1337 and see the big crits. "I don't like tanking" is a pitiful excuse. The fact is tanks are needed, and if you have a class that can tank you should fucking well do it. That way we won't have to waste half an hour in LFG looking for a tank.

  12. #12

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by sixlocal
    I have a DK and here's why:

    1. DK tanking is awkward.
    2. I can instead be top dps of the group.
    Yet everything I've experienced with with dps DKs discounts this. Our WWS and those of other top guilds does as well. DK dps is mediocre at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator

    Dual Spec will fix this, PERIOD.

    Lack of healers and tanks will be ELIMINATED once dual spec is active.
    What I see happening is paladins speccing PvE Ret and PvP Ret with the dual spec system, same with most classes.

    So as a followup, will you have a tanking spec when dual specs are introduced?

    edit:spelling

  13. #13
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,296

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Because you don't respecc for every heroic

    Because you dislike tanking (or are not good at it)

    Because a group will take a dps, and a dps, and a dps but not two tank specced classes

    Because grinding as tank takes longer when the gear is still low class.

    Well..all that. Still doesn't keep me from playing a prot Paladin, hehe...after all levelling 1-51 as retri was painfully slow pre 3.0 and compared to that even prot levelling feels fast
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  14. #14
    turkeyspit
    Guest

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Because I pay my $15, and that means I get to choose how I play this game, and DPS'ing is fun.

    'course, I'm in a good guild with skilled players, so I haven't used the LFG channel in months.

  15. #15

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    well,mainly,i dont tank because my dps gear is wayyyy better than my tank gear and it would be a huge waste of dps if i tank in a fight/raid/heroic.I got no problem tanking though when im helping guildies farm some heroics,or helping as off tank in some raid encounters.
    Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Neptulon&n=Decomposer

  16. #16

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

    If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.


    Why don't you tank?
    Why didn't you tank? Ohh you want gear on your alt... So people who want to dps should respec so you can get gear... Cool.

  17. #17

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    Because most of them are DPS fucktards who want to be 1337 and see the big crits. "I don't like tanking" is a pitiful excuse. The fact is tanks are needed, and if you have a class that can tank you should fucking well do it. That way we won't have to waste half an hour in LFG looking for a tank.
    You tank then.

  18. #18

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    Why don't you tank?
    Because I am a tank?
    Stop reading my sig, bro!

  19. #19

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator

    Lack of healers and tanks will be ELIMINATED once dual spec is active.
    I disagree. Hybrids will have their main dps spec and another dps spec as their offspec, those without another dps spec probably won't use this facility.

    My warrior used to be prot but went arms for lvling. I won't go back to prot because I don't like tanking as a warrior and I am not good at it. I used to tank on my druid but have respecced my tree to be dps focused. I don't have tank gear for my druid, plus a few bad experiences crushed my tanking confidence. My DK is tank specced and will remain that way as I find multimob tanking easier on a DK than warrior or druid. My paladin is holy and my dual spec will be prot, again because multimob tanking is easier.

    I always hated tanking in pugs. Especially as a warrior or druid, since I never managed to completely master multimob tanking on them and because dpsers insist on making pulls/intercepting pulls/nuking instantly/aoe nuking I found tanking many mobs stressful. At times I was good, if the dpsers gave me a few seconds to get them on me, but as you know dpsers must be able to full nuke as soon as you pull a mob, or even before it, else its the tank who sucks for not letting them do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    That chick needed some spicy salmon, need to buff that hit rating.

  20. #20

    Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

    Quote Originally Posted by turkeyspit
    Because I pay my $15, and that means I get to choose how I play this game, and DPS'ing is fun.
    [2]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •