Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Guildy Lock with Low DPS

Hey all :-)

I'm looking for a little help to figure out what one of my guildmates is doing wrong. His DPS is consistently less than 1500, and only rarely above that when there's a ton of AoE. I've never rolled a 'lock before, so I'm not particularly familiar with the specs and gear. From what I can tell... it looks like his gear is on the good to very good side, but again... not really familiar.

I'm not trying to embarrass him, just trying to help him and help our guild. For example, we wiped a handful of times on Gluth (10) last night... initially because it takes a bit of work to coordinate the kiting between myself (frost trap + gorilladin ftw!) and the DK (blood)... but after because the DPS was lacking. We eventually switched out our off-tank (who's DPS needs a LOT of work) for the kiting blood DK (who has very solid DPS, but lacking any tanking gear), and replaced the kiting blood DK that I've worked the fight with before... but anyway.

On the attempt that we successfully downed Gluth, the 'locks DPS was around 1250. Now, for the DPS in this fight, it's more or less a stand back and pew-pew... occasionally turning around to AoE the zombies (which should only increase the fight's DPS). So basically Patch, with an added kiting element, and the DPS would appear that it should be even higher than on Patch.

So here's his spec, can you guys help? I'm not sure if it's a combination of gear, talents, rotation, or what...
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...os&n=Gallilaeo

Re: Guildy Lock with Low DPS

he isn't hit capped a a pvp destro spec is bad for pve... and pvp. Affliction is the way to go at this gear level.

he might just be bad. no amount of hit rating will solve that. i'd say have him take a look at the elitist jerks info for locks about spec and rotation. that could help.

he IS missing about 100 hit rating, though, which is HUGE. he should start off by fixing his gems.

Deleted

OP: Tell him that his spec is all screwed up. No improved imp, no demonic power, only 1 point in empowered imp... ALWAYS use imp if you are destruction spec! And Improved Shadow Bolt... *rolls her eyes* Don't tell me he is using Shadow Bolt in his rotation?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...h=000000000000 is my warlock's spec. I probably should leave Nether Protection out, but I love how it helps me survive AoE attacks. Anyway, I have half the gear your mate has and I do 3.3k DPS in 25-mans with this spec.

The hit rating isn't the problem. He have a rly bad specc for PvE and about no haste at all. And it seem like he use shadow bolt, and with no haste it is 2.5 cast. When the most ppl go with 400+ haste. And thats why the bad dps.

Gogo 0/41/30

lol shadowbolt spam spec. It was good in end game TBC, it's not any more. Mixing in a CB every once in awhile will NOT make it better. I promise. Read up on EJ, and get hit capped.

He needs to get to the hit cap, which as stated before is always priority #1 for locks (and really any dps slot). If it's any indication, he only took 2/3 Cataclysm, which gives 1% hit to all destro spells for each point spent.

He also got 5/5 improved shadow bolt, yet still took 5/5 emberstorm. The way ISB currently works in Wotlk (only benefitting your own direct dmg spells), it's been found that fire dmg--incinerate--is the way to go. You can't cast both shadow bolt and incinerate at the same time, so getting both of these is basically a waste.

Lastly, his gear is really not that good for destruction. Capped hit, 20-25% crit, and 1800+ base dmg seems to be the point where the top dps locks switch over. Have him spec affliction, look at EJ forums for dot rotations, and download a reliable dot timer. Asheyla's or Nugrunning work very well.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...h=000000000000

is alot better will even help the non capped warlock should boost his dps for destro still not the best warlock dps spec

I'd say, more hit + more haste

Maybe he is just Lazy. To play or to post or even read anything that can help him.
    We have one warlock of that kind in guild, we use him as forum admin, ventrilo owner and keep the most useful for raid build.

Several people have posted that affliction is higher dps. While this is true, it is also significantly more complicated. If he isn't executing destruction effectivly, then it is unlikely that switching to affliction will help matters. If anything, you might push him to spec 0/41/30, which is the simplest playstyle that can still put out reasonable dps.

It sounds/looks like he was destruction in BC and has since thrown together a spec that looked good to him and continued to play the same way without bothering to do any research as to how to play effectively in wotlk. Even a cursory search into wrath theorycrafting should have shown him that he has things all backwards. Anyway, the first post in the following three threads should give you enough info to do the work he has decided not to do:

Affliction: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-d...arlock_thread/
    Destruction: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38033-m...ction_warlock/
    Demonology: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37474-demonology_thread/

I would also push him to get rid of the spell penetration enchant and gems. There is currently no reason to have spell penetration for PvE content and anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken. He has no enchants on his helm or shoulders. Even if he just went back and got the enchants from TBC, it would be an improvement. As far as hit goes, he could easily reach the hit cap just by changing his gems to 16 hit.

Good luck.

Thanks guys :-)

I appreciate the help, I'll pass the information along to him... and read through it myself too :-p

Quote Originally Posted by zey
    Several people have posted that affliction is higher dps. While this is true, it is also significantly more complicated. If he isn't executing destruction effectivly, then it is unlikely that switching to affliction will help matters. If anything, you might push him to spec 0/41/30, which is the simplest playstyle that can still put out reasonable dps.

It sounds/looks like he was destruction in BC and has since thrown together a spec that looked good to him and continued to play the same way without bothering to do any research as to how to play effectively in wotlk. Even a cursory search into wrath theorycrafting should have shown him that he has things all backwards. Anyway, the first post in the following three threads should give you enough info to do the work he has decided not to do:

Affliction: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-d...arlock_thread/
    Destruction: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t38033-m...ction_warlock/
    Demonology: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37474-demonology_thread/

I would also push him to get rid of the spell penetration enchant and gems. There is currently no reason to have spell penetration for PvE content and anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken. He has no enchants on his helm or shoulders. Even if he just went back and got the enchants from TBC, it would be an improvement. As far as hit goes, he could easily reach the hit cap just by changing his gems to 16 hit.

Good luck.
    To OP, I would listen to the guy above.
    I would advise 0/41/30 spec that is much simpler then affliction and does good dmg. In the case of your guildie who's obviously not very knowledgeable about his own class you wanna keep it simple. In this case simple build > optimal build dps-wise.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...h=000000000000

This specc works very well for deep destro.

Try it out, give it a shot.

for staters all the other posters are correct. his hit rating is extremely low. the other thing is that destro is not the greatest spec unless you are geared to the teeth. currently afflic does incredible damage compared to destro unless the gear permits. more importantly, with the low hit, every time he misses due to low hit thats a huge loss in dps. before upping any other stat he should up his hit considerably. i'm not great with the math for this type of stuff but for example if he cast 4 shadow bolts every 10 seconds at 4000 damage per cast and misses 3 of them he loses 12000 damage due to poor hit rating....with just those numbers alone if he hit with each attack that would be 1600 dps roughly. and that doesnt include a crit.

This email is not tied my WoW account. Quit sending me keylogger emails. Sorry.

Out of curiosity, what would be the 'hit cap' for lvl 83 raid bosses for locks? We always run with a Draenei, so that's something else the we need to consider.

My dps was really low when I was speced Destro (mainly because I like a little rotation rather than spamming incinerate like all the other locks are doing) until I speced affliction. Now my dps is 2700+ on patchwork and other bosses. When I pug normally I'm in the top 3. The best rotation I found was "SB, Haunt, Unstable Afflic, Immolate, Corr, Coa, Siphon Life, once the boss hits 25% I replace SB with Drain Soul. Try it out it brought the fun back to raiding for me. I suggest getting class timer addon as well so you can time your dots right. ;D

start here:

<a href="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...0">0/41/30</a>

put up corruption and immolate, spam Incinerate and have the felguard whacking away the whole time.

refresh corruption and immolate as soon as they expire, without clipping of course.

for the following reasons, which will help him learn rather than just being showed.

1. He needs to have ~ 25% crit to be effective, being demo is a 10% crit increase rather than the 3% from destro.
    2. Get a little more hit, gem for it if you have to.
    3. I am a firm believer that haste isn't important at this point, I am equally geared to him and carry way more dps with this spec, and almost no haste.

He should then go for more crit and haste from gear w/out sacrificing hit before he switches to destro. I have been playing a lock forever, and to start raiding especially for someone with apparently low skill, affliction will be too much to handle, and destro is very gear dependant.

As others have noted, there is no reason whatsoever to have talent points in both Improved Shadowbolt and Emberstorm. If he wants to remain dest spec (which is underperforming 0/41/30 and Affliction right now), he should not be using Shadowbolt.

Given the quality of his gear, his stats and his spec, it's not surprising that his dps isn't meeting expectations. However, his dps output seems very poor even with these otherwise correctable issues. Many locks were putting out those numbers or better pre-WOTLK so there is no reason to be underperforming a pre-WOTLK output. Some people just aren't good raiders.

i think he should switch to afflic and use olyphants rotation, i use it but start with a shadowbolt followed by haunt. i avg somewhere around 2800-3000 dps on boss fights. but with his gear i don't think destro is a viable option if he's having this much trouble with it. try afflic

This email is not tied my WoW account. Quit sending me keylogger emails. Sorry.