Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Guildy Lock with Low DPS

oh and whats up "Z"

This email is not tied my WoW account. Quit sending me keylogger emails. Sorry.

I am not sure if the armory is bugged or not, but I don't see any head or shoulder enchants. Looking at his reputations I don't think he does have them, so he needs to start working Sons of Hodir and Kirn'tor rep. I am also not too sure about the spell penetration enchant and gems.

0/41/30 builds linked above seem to work very well for TBC shadow bolt locks that are having a tough time adjusting to WOTLK so I think it would be a good idea to run with that. Aslo it is kind of minor but based on some of his decisions it appears he may not be aware of all the WOTLK warlock changes so make sure he is using his firestone.

A firestone alone isn't going to generate a few hundred dps.

Being that far off from the hitcap will definitely cause a problem.

Get hitcapped, and work on spec after that because no spec is going to be able to dps worth anything without being hitcapped.

Everyone has posted solid comments. To sum it all up, he is setting his warlock up for PvP. It's always a controversy within guilds when someone wants to PvP and raid. He needs to get 2 sets of gear, 1 for raiding, and 1 for PvP. If he wants to do both, he needs to spend the small amount of gold to respec between raiding and PvP. Enchants are absolutely vital. If he isn't willing to do that much for the group, and himself, then he doesn't need to raid. There is really no shame in saying he doesn't want to raid, especially if he doesn't have the time to grind out stuff for both.

A firestone alone isn't going to generate a few hundred dps.
    I obviously didn't say that, and I was clearly trying to point out things that were not already mentioned several times over in previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by zdollaz
    start here:

<a href="http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...0">0/41/30</a>

put up corruption and immolate, spam Incinerate and have the felguard whacking away the whole time.

refresh corruption and immolate as soon as they expire, without clipping of course.

for the following reasons, which will help him learn rather than just being showed.

1. He needs to have ~ 25% crit to be effective, being demo is a 10% crit increase rather than the 3% from destro.
    2. Get a little more hit, gem for it if you have to.
    3. I am a firm believer that haste isn't important at this point, I am equally geared to him and carry way more dps with this spec, and almost no haste.

He should then go for more crit and haste from gear w/out sacrificing hit before he switches to destro. I have been playing a lock forever, and to start raiding especially for someone with apparently low skill, affliction will be too much to handle, and destro is very gear dependant.
    Yes i also advise this spec. It's extremely simple and does great dps.

Dont forget to pop Demonic Empowerment everytime its up, and throwing out a Curse of Agony on bosses and mobs with alot of hp isnt a bad idea also. My warlock constantly topped or nearly topped dps meters with this spec (about 25% crit and mostly blues, few epics).

Kind of an aside thought here:
    I'm not convinced that spec alone is the issue.. I'm pretty sure with his gear, standing still and nuking with -no talent points spent-, you could be doing more dps than that.

I think maybe he needs to take a trip to the dummies, where there's nothing to think about but your dps rotation.

As a boomkin with his gear I could blindly SF spam for 2-2.5k dps. I would sit a lock doing 1250 in a raid. If he can't pull over 2k on dummies, sit him. No more raids. Don't encourage lazy players by carrying them through content if you can at all help it.

DPSers typically are less-tested by content, and tend to get by with less work. Don't make it even easier on them
    If he can't pull decent dps as 0/41/30 or even just deep demo (underperforms, but works well if a player isn't the brightest)... Yeah, I would not be wasting drops on him. If you have to bring him anyways, don't give him loot, just dkp/karma for when he can actually pull his weight.

Anywho, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU
    Out of curiosity, what would be the 'hit cap' for lvl 83 raid bosses for locks? We always run with a Draenei, so that's something else the we need to consider.
    1% ~ 26 hit

17% without talents - 442
    16% without talents and Draenei - 416
    14% with talents - 364
    13% with talents and Draenei - 338
    11% with shadow priest/moonkin - 289
    10% with Draenei in the group (buff is not raid wide) + SP/MK - 263
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by nippsie
    I am not sure if the armory is bugged or not, but I don't see any head or shoulder enchants. Looking at his reputations I don't think he does have them, so he needs to start working Sons of Hodir and Kirn'tor rep. I am also not too sure about the spell penetration enchant and gems.

0/41/30 builds linked above seem to work very well for TBC shadow bolt locks that are having a tough time adjusting to WOTLK so I think it would be a good idea to run with that. Aslo it is kind of minor but based on some of his decisions it appears he may not be aware of all the WOTLK warlock changes so make sure he is using his firestone.
    Bad players should just stop playing warlocks all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsprngr
    Bad players should just stop playing warlocks all together.
    And bad posters should stop posting on forums.

Also I, like most of other warlocks here would go for 0/41/30 which is just optimal spec which works with both lower and better gear http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...31050000000000. Having something around 300 hitrating is already enough and should give significant dps increase. Hes already having 250+ hitrating so he needs the little squees out of it and needs atleast about 50hitrating more. You should tell him to remove couple of those 19 spelldamage gems and replace them with 16 hitrating. Already removing two sp gems and replacing them with hitrating would net him 32hitrating so that would be already better. Removing 3 would ofc be always better.

Its about high hitrating at first and then stacking sp, haste and crit.

Also like someone already said he gets 10% crit from demonology if he likes but what I did with my build is that I gave felguard some health and armor so he will last longer becouse felguard does always 17-26% of my dps depending on fight so I dont want him to die becouse summoning him is time off from dpsing AND if u dont dismiss your pet in time before it dies you will also lose raidbuffs on him and that can be -200sp from your friends stats while in raid. So I took 2% crit off and gave it for felguard as hardiness.

I almost always top dps meters with 3k dps(naxx10) and he has almost equal gear as I do so he should do as fine also. Here is armory link for my charsheet: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Aspects&n=Ciah

Also Im ofc using Glyph of felguard and glyph of immolate. Ive been using Glyph of corruption but i think im going for glyph of agony to try it out.

I hope this helped you and your mate in any way.

There are some great responses so far so I hope that the lock concerned and other locks who find themselves bringing to low DPS to raids wil read through all the info and use them to improve.

Just a few sidenotes..

Make sure you only bring 1 Affliction lock to your raids because of the bug with shadowembrace. (IF The shadow bug has been solved with todays patch you can ignore this note)

Make sure he chooses a spec(of those mentioned by others) that suits his skill and enjoyment since a fun specc is easier to learn.

If he speccs affliction he should make sure to use threat meter since the heavy dmg combined with the self healing brings alot of threat.

I have pretty much the same stats as the lock above.. the only differens is that i'm hitcapped and affliction specced. I'm almost always nr1 on dmg/dps in our 10man raids, was fighting for nr1 against a mage on 25-man but lost when I died on last boss xD. I can pull between 2.8(on anoying bosses with movement that lowers tanks tps or to squishy adds)-4k(patchwerk) in 10-man. And i'm no god of warlocks,(far from it) I just use the rotation to my ability and a good specc.

First of all, let him play what he likes most. He doesn't have to play Affliction if he can't hanndle it..

Second, let him do more research of his own class. He should know hit is important.

My advice is to let him test some specs, respecc, respecc, ... Eventually he'll find the right spec for himself. I played destruction since the start of my char(August 2008). I respecced for about 1 week now and I have to say, it's really more dps. You have to practice the rotation ofc but that's a matter of your skill.