Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What spec does the most damage/DPS in general?

I've been an Affliction lock for some time now. 56/0/15. Other than the gear I currently have, I am trying to figure out how to really crank up the DPS. In a normal 10 or 25 man raids, I usually crank out anywhere between 1750-2300 in DPS. My unbuffed stats are: Spell Damage - 1733, Spell Crit - 17.30%, Spell Hit - 256. This is with no Fel Armor spell active, and my gear gemmed and enchanted.

My armor and weapons are a current mix between Naxx 10 man, Naxx 25 man, Heroism Badge gear, and some Heroic instances. I know gear is an issue. I also know that my enchants heavily favor spell damage and spell crit. I have some fellow guildies who slotted their gems slots with spell damage gems. I wonder if I have to do a complete overhaul on my gear and have it favoring just spell damage. I know that spell hit is very important as well.

Also, I don't know if I am using the correct spell rotation as an Afflication lock. I use Unstable Afflication, Haunt, Immolation, Siphon Life, and Shadowbolts. I am usually the lock in the raid to pop on a Curse of Shadows or Curse of elements at the start of a boss fight as well.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

So, a little help from my fellow warlocks please

EDIT: I do use Corruption as part of my rotation LOL
    Work in Progress....

Re: What spec does the most damage/DPS in general?

Oh my, where to start.

The amount of talentpoints you spend in the two trees is quite common, however the choices you picked are waaay off. You are missing two MUST HAVE talents and the talent that increases your dps the most in a raid.

You NEED to get Ruin. In every single build you can make as a warlock that has PvE in mind. ALWAYS.

Secondly you don't pick Nightfall. A free SB now and then is a pretty neat thing to get when you try to crank up your dps. Also helps you keep up SE stack when you get below 25%. Which conveniently is my next point.

Once below 25%, drop Immolate off your rotation and use DS as a filler, which means you need to get Soul Siphon as well.

An armory link and a WWS report will help you more than anything when you ask for advice on how to improve. Getting these talents is a start.

I'd recommend this specc for you instead:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IfxMbzMAoVq0IstZyzhV

Keep your dots up all the time, start using Drain Soul as soon as you got your dots rolling when the target hits 25%.

That should help you a bit up the ladder at least. With your gear you should be doing quite a bit more dmg.

And finally, I hope you noticed that CoE and CoS got merged into one

i hope you simply forgot to type it out...

You dont have corruption in your rotation ;D

Also, start with SB -> Haunt to get two stacks of SE first, and then cast UA/Immo and SL/CoA in pairs(Corruption once, and then leave and forget as long as you keep up w/ Haunt). Of course, if you are on CoE duty, drop coa. UA and immo will run out at nearly similar times which allows you to easily refresh them.

Quote Originally Posted by bored059
    i hope you simply forgot to type it out...

You dont have corruption in your rotation ;D

Also, start with SB -> Haunt to get two stacks of SE first, and then cast UA/Immo and SL/CoA in pairs(Corruption once, and then leave and forget as long as you keep up w/ Haunt). Of course, if you are on CoE duty, drop coa. UA and immo will run out at nearly similar times which allows you to easily refresh them.
    Yeah I kinda sorta forgot that, but it is in my rotation.
    Work in Progress....

Quote Originally Posted by Vidara
    Oh my, where to start.

The amount of talentpoints you spend in the two trees is quite common, however the choices you picked are waaay off. You are missing two MUST HAVE talents and the talent that increases your dps the most in a raid.

You NEED to get Ruin. In every single build you can make as a warlock that has PvE in mind. ALWAYS.

Secondly you don't pick Nightfall. A free SB now and then is a pretty neat thing to get when you try to crank up your dps. Also helps you keep up SE stack when you get below 25%. Which conveniently is my next point.

Once below 25%, drop Immolate off your rotation and use DS as a filler, which means you need to get Soul Siphon as well.

An armory link and a WWS report will help you more than anything when you ask for advice on how to improve. Getting these talents is a start.

I'd recommend this specc for you instead:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IfxMbzMAoVq0IstZyzhV

Keep your dots up all the time, start using Drain Soul as soon as you got your dots rolling when the target hits 25%.

That should help you a bit up the ladder at least. With your gear you should be doing quite a bit more dmg.

And finally, I hope you noticed that CoE and CoS got merged into one
    Thank you for the advice. I did notice a slight increase in my DPS. Man, I can't believe I forgot about Ruin LOL I also ahve that glyph that does the "Nightfall" effect. And thank you for being specific about the below 25% change That really helps
    Work in Progress....

Or if you want to be amazingly lazy....Your felguard can do 1k dps now solo. With decent gear you can easily go 3300 3400 ish dps. Allthough ive seen affliction certainly go higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by direlock
    Or if you want to be amazingly lazy....Your felguard can do 1k dps now solo. With decent gear you can easily go 3300 3400 ish dps. Allthough ive seen affliction certainly go higher than that.
    I actually have pulled 4k dps with fg before patch in 10mans without a shammy for bloodlust. The higher dps for afflic is probably coming from 10 mans...bewary of dps...stats without giving whether or not they are in 10man or 25 man as this will distort the picture..and also you need to take into account if they have a raid with blood lust.

Quote Originally Posted by Canopus
    Thank you for the advice. I did notice a slight increase in my DPS. Man, I can't believe I forgot about Ruin LOL I also ahve that glyph that does the "Nightfall" effect. And thank you for being specific about the below 25% change That really helps
    i am not so much in playing a warlock, can anyone explpain the below 25% thing?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amras
    i am not so much in playing a warlock, can anyone explpain the below 25% thing?

thanks
    The 25% refers to if the mob is has less than 25% of its maximum health left..certain spells will do more damage.

Main Drain Soul, which does 12% more damage if hte target is below 35% health and 300% more damage if the target is below 25% health.

When your target is below 25% health, the level 80 rank of Drain Soul does 400% damage.

Also,

Drain soul is affected by Soul Siphon (up to 60%), Death's Embrace (12%), Haunt (20%), Shadow Embrace (10%).

This gives a total of about 5 times its normal damage, so every 3 seconds, your drain soul ticks for 5 times what it usually does, which can be anywhere from about 7k to 13k depending on gear and raid buffs. This is more than a shadowbolt crit and its guaranteed, so DS is necessary under 25% on any mob that is going to last more than 3 seconds once under 25% total health.

Quote Originally Posted by ksem
    This gives a total of about 5 times its normal damage, so every 3 seconds, your drain soul ticks for 5 times what it usually does, which can be anywhere from about 7k to 13k depending on gear and raid buffs. This is more than a shadowbolt crit and its guaranteed, so DS is necessary under 25% on any mob that is going to last more than 3 seconds once under 25% total health.
    Actually, it's more than 5x damage; in a 25-man it's more like 8.5x-10x normal. And ticks happen more often because of haste and bloodlust. Win!

Actually, it's more than 5x damage; in a 25-man it's more like 8.5x-10x normal. And ticks happen more often because of haste and bloodlust. Win!
    I meant 500% of its damage in your currently buffed state. But yes, in a 25-man raid buffs can bump it to close to 10 times the damage it does compared to when you're unbuffed. Its really quite awesome watching your dps visibly climb once in DS "execute" range. Win indeed!

Reactor

You need to increase your Hit. With 256 hit and 3/3 suppression / 2/3 cataclysm you're only at roughly 12% for affliction and 11% for destruction (your shadow bolt filler). Get rid of Molten Core...the only fire spell you use as affliction is Immolate. Use the points to max out cataclysm and soul siphon. Then increase your hit to 289. Remember: Hit is more important than every other stat until you're capped. 289 will make you hit capped for any raid as long as there's a boomkin / spriest around.

I play an affliction lock, Have since the xpac came out. I use a somewhat strange build but it really boosts my SP when buffed. Self buffed I get up to +2400 dmg with around 600 haste 280 hit, my crit is low but our spec does not need high crit.
    I pump out right around 3800-4k dps on any given boss fight, And fights like malygos/sapphiron is where this spec really shines. 53-13-5 is my current build ive used it since the xpac came out, Since another lock in my guild is destro and he uses his imp I get to keep my Felhunter out, Which felhunter buff and improved fel armor I get an xtra 400ish SP. Fully raid buffed and flaskes I get up to almost 3k SP with capped hit and 650ish haste.

First of all, No affliction lock should ever use Immolate, You will get more raw dps out of 1 shadowbolt, It is a waste I have done lots of testing with this.

You should always start your rotation with Corruption becuase of the nightfall procs.

My rotation is as follows.

Corruption/Agony/UA/SL/SB/SB/SB when cor is about 1/2 way thourhg I use my first haunt, Then just keep haunt refreshed before corruption wears off you should never have to cast another corruption as long are your hit is capped and you watch your dot timers. Refresh UA the same time you do Haunt, About every second rotation you will need to SL and COA as well, Other then that its back the basic sb spamming. Like I said I have mostly 25 man naxx gear other then my trinkets and a few other items. I get around 3.8k dps on average on any given boss fight. I have even gotten as high as 4.5k on a few bosses, Nothing like thaddius or such, On those fights its easy for a an affliction lock to hit almost 6k dps.

Reactor

Quote Originally Posted by OOEMarshall
    I play an affliction lock, Have since the xpac came out. I use a somewhat strange build but it really boosts my SP when buffed. Self buffed I get up to +2400 dmg with around 600 haste 280 hit, my crit is low but our spec does not need high crit.
    I pump out right around 3800-4k dps on any given boss fight, And fights like malygos/sapphiron is where this spec really shines. 53-13-5 is my current build ive used it since the xpac came out, Since another lock in my guild is destro and he uses his imp I get to keep my Felhunter out, Which felhunter buff and improved fel armor I get an xtra 400ish SP. Fully raid buffed and flaskes I get up to almost 3k SP with capped hit and 650ish haste.

First of all, No affliction lock should ever use Immolate, You will get more raw dps out of 1 shadowbolt, It is a waste I have done lots of testing with this.

You should always start your rotation with Corruption becuase of the nightfall procs.

My rotation is as follows.

Corruption/Agony/UA/SL/SB/SB/SB when cor is about 1/2 way thourhg I use my first haunt, Then just keep haunt refreshed before corruption wears off you should never have to cast another corruption as long are your hit is capped and you watch your dot timers. Refresh UA the same time you do Haunt, About every second rotation you will need to SL and COA as well, Other then that its back the basic sb spamming. Like I said I have mostly 25 man naxx gear other then my trinkets and a few other items. I get around 3.8k dps on average on any given boss fight. I have even gotten as high as 4.5k on a few bosses, Nothing like thaddius or such, On those fights its easy for a an affliction lock to hit almost 6k dps.
    LOL. This is just bad. Please don't follow this advice.

Bad but I pump out the best dps in my guild most the time? I can provide WWS logs if you would like. I have even gotten other warlocks to test out my build and they ended up liking it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by OOEMarshall
    Bad but I pump out the best dps in my guild most the time? I can provide WWS logs if you would like. I have even gotten other warlocks to test out my build and they ended up liking it very much.
    I quit reading when you said "53-13-5".

Reactor

Okay where to begin...you ALWAYS start with a Shadow Bolt and Haunt to get Shadow Embrace stacked twice on the mob. Nightfall procs are unimportant. Applying DoTs before you have two stacks of Shadow Embrace is the worst thing I've ever heard. Also, you should include Immolate...since Immolate and Unstable Affliction both have the same duration and cast time, you cast them as if they were one big long DoT. This has been proven OVER AND OVER again to be a DPS increase, especially coupled with the Glyph of Immolate.

You don't have Ruin? LOL. Any spec that doesn't have Ruin is worthless.

You shouldn't be refreshing Haunt based on when Corr is almost down. You should be refreshing Haunt the exact second it falls off.

When the mob falls below 25% you should be using Drain Soul. Sound stupid? When you see it ticking for 15k damage every three seconds you'll change your mind.

You have way too much haste, as it's only beneficial to a point. Crit is very important for an Affliction build due to Pandemic. You need a balance of the two.

If you're clipping DoTs in any way, shape, or form, you're losing a ton of DPS. Get DoTimer, set it up to only watch your DoTs, and recast the DoT so that it applies the very second that it falls off.

Oh, and for the love of all that is Warlock, fix your fail spec. There's a REASON that cookie cutter specs are cookie cutter...because people a lot better than you and I have spent countless hours and millions of gold trying every possible spec and doing tons of calculations. Try something like THIS. I know you want to be unique and special, but if you want to be unique because you're worse than any other affliction lock, just keep the spec you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerian
    I quit reading when you said "53-13-5".
    Pretty much.....lol.

Hang on, so you don't spec into Ruin and yet you claim that "no affliction lock should cast Immolate". Even with Ruin Immolate does more damage, it's fact.

And the rotation, You leave Haunt out til the end of your rotation, why? Thats 20% less dps from your first dots. Nightfall is a nice cheeky little extra, not something to arrange your cast sequence over.

OFC this is all in my opinion...