Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord hellar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    University Of Alabama
    Posts
    813

    Spriest crit or haste?

    this is my chars gear atm http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Blade&n=Hellar

    in 10 man OS i put out 2.7k as u can see i have very little haste. but a good amount of crit. should i start rollin on pices with crit or pieces with haste. and yes i know i am not hit caped yet.

    wat is more important crit or haste?

  2. #2
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Hit rating and spellpower.

    Why the fuck are you gemming spellpower when you're not hit capped?
    And spellpower enchants, lols.

    Crit's per point better than haste, but untill you get hit capped and get 2000 spellpower, you should not even think of getting any haste or crit whatsoever.

    Personally I like a balance that's around 20% crit, and then haste for the rest.
    Haste gets better the more you get of it, and with Mind Flay fixes in 3.0.8 it'll be a bit sauce again.

  3. #3

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    crit my friend
    since Mind flay now crits and SP get their dot dmg up by the amount of crit they have.
    haste is somewhat wasted on SP...it has minor bonuses but cirt has way more...

    EDIT: looks like Nozoia is playing a different game then the rest of us....
    thou i agree about Hit rating....but it's given that it's the first stat u need to cap as DPS.

  4. #4

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    * 1 spellpower = 1 PP
    * 1 crit rating = 0.61 PP
    * 1 haste = 0.56 PP
    * 1 spirit = 0.21 PP
    * 1 int = 0.19 PP
    * 1 hit = 1.12 PP (when not hit-capped)

    thats how you should gear

    also, as you seem to be unaware,
    http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16992

    read, learn, enjoy

    ima add something, just cause i feel like being wordy, to more personally answer your question, you should be rolling on anything that higher up on the "best in slot" list, and gemming/enchanting to maintain hit cap, while there are Some cases where spell power is better than Hit, when not hit capped, hit just offers more dps when not so.

    in the end, its your priest, play him how you enjoy it, some ppl hate haste because it "messes up their rotation" so for those ppl crit is the way to go, i tend to like to get the best possible dps out of my priest as i can, so i stick to the stat ratios i listed up top, what helps me do a quick once over a new piece of gear is GearDPS, an add on that can calculate on your tooltip what a pieces converted power is,
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a.../gear-dps.aspx

    it doesnt understand meta gems/set bonuses/or trinkets but it does add up all the normal stat values for you, if you plug in the right numbers

    if you choose this addon, just go to the minimap menu and change spellpower, crit, haste, spirit, int, and hit(till your capped) to the values above, then put everything else to 0, and bam
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

  5. #5
    Dreadlord hellar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    University Of Alabama
    Posts
    813

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    i mean know i should bve hoit capped but i cant remeber the last time i have missed a boss.i mean ill give up one miss in a boss fight to gain a extra 100+ sp imo nad hit is gona come with more gear

  6. #6
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by nine
    EDIT: looks like Nozoia is playing a different game then the rest of us....
    Try recalculate the simulationcraft data with enough crit and haste, and see how the scale changes.

    You are also forgetting about the effects haste give you, which a simulation won't show, such as clipping MF early (I prefer this over SW on aoe heavy encounters.)

    It's called balancing stats. It also applies to priests.

  7. #7

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by hellar
    i mean know i should bve hoit capped but i cant remeber the last time i have missed a boss.
    That would be because until recently, shadow was still receiving 10% hit from Shadow Focus. Get to 289 hit, then work on your other stats. Hit is Worth about 1.12 PP until capped, Spell Power is 1 PP as someone mentioned above.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    I love people go "I never noticed a miss", but a WWS of the entire evening would show plenty of them.

    Give it up kids, Math > You.

    And missing entire Devouring Plague cooldowns due to hit, or having several Mind Flay resists in a row (wasting GCDs) is fucking horrible, and if you fail to notice that you should try check what your buttons does for once.

    But I case I'm not a good enough source, go armoury some of the world's top shadowpriests. At stare at their hit gems.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord hellar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    University Of Alabama
    Posts
    813

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    as i said ima not worried bout hit atm it will come with t7 gear but thx for answering the qestions of the ones who did

  10. #10
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    There's only hit on the T7 chest and shoulders. And the chest is horrible.

    You should get:

    - Another belt (Badge one with hit)
    - Some Boots with hit (Valor ones are good)
    - Some proper rings
    - Hit trinket from Violet Hold heroic.
    - Green hit wand from Quest in Dragonblight
    - Deathchill Cloak
    - A proper meta gem (Chaotic Skyflare Diamond!)

    And socket hit if nessary.

    Suggested upgrades:

    [item=40380]
    [item=40696]
    [item=37873]
    [item=41610]
    [item=38206]
    [item=40750]

  11. #11

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Hit rating and spellpower.

    Why the fuck are you gemming spellpower when you're not hit capped?
    And spellpower enchants, lols.
    Because raw SP gems are beter than raw hit gems... and although you disagree that missing is acceptable the sim craft tells you even with the misses you will do more dps... hit is not what it used to be, ie. you dont sacrafice raw dps stats just to reach the cap.

    And because we like to quote math...
    1 SP = 1 PP, therefore 19 SP gem = 19 PP
    1 hit rating = 1.12 PP, therefore 16 hit gem = 17.92 PP

    The only time hit is better is using a Vieled Monarch Topaz in a yellow socket to pick up a decent socket bonus... this would be the case in the T7.5 gloves for example.

  12. #12

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Because raw SP gems are beter than raw hit gems... and although you disagree that missing is acceptable the sim craft tells you even with the misses you will do more dps... hit is not what it used to be, ie. you dont sacrafice raw dps stats just to reach the cap.

    And because we like to quote math...
    1 SP = 1 PP, therefore 19 SP gem = 19 PP
    1 hit rating = 1.12 PP, therefore 16 hit gem = 17.92 PP

    The only time hit is better is using a Vieled Monarch Topaz in a yellow socket to pick up a decent socket bonus... this would be the case in the T7.5 gloves for example.
    where are you getting those #'s?

    Priest_14_0_57
    hit_rating=1.57
    spell_power=1.28
    crit_rating=0.83
    haste_rating=0.55
    spirit=0.26
    intellect=0.25

    soo...
    1 sp = 1.28 dps x 19 sp gem = 24.32 dps
    1 hit = 1.57 dps x 16 hit gem = 25.12 dps

    hit until capped is always a dps boost.

  13. #13

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Because raw SP gems are beter than raw hit gems... and although you disagree that missing is acceptable the sim craft tells you even with the misses you will do more dps...
    Until you miss a Devouring Plague cooldown, or your mindblasts miss, or even letting Pain fall off. Even at 2% miss, all of the above can and do happen.
    hit is not what it used to be, ie. you dont sacrafice raw dps stats just to reach the cap.
    Apparently, you do.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  14. #14

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Because raw SP gems are beter than raw hit gems... and although you disagree that missing is acceptable the sim craft tells you even with the misses you will do more dps... hit is not what it used to be, ie. you dont sacrafice raw dps stats just to reach the cap.

    And because we like to quote math...
    1 SP = 1 PP, therefore 19 SP gem = 19 PP
    1 hit rating = 1.12 PP, therefore 16 hit gem = 17.92 PP

    The only time hit is better is using a Vieled Monarch Topaz in a yellow socket to pick up a decent socket bonus... this would be the case in the T7.5 gloves for example.
    Fail, before hit cap, nothing is better.

    Although, for ret pallies, strength is better then hit rating, it's also adviced for them to get the cap.(unrelated, but an excellent example)

    Hit cap, or gtfo with your raw spellpower gems.

  15. #15
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    @Worshaka

    The value of hit is higher the less of it you have. So while missing out 10 hit at 280 is not so bad, missing out 200 is VERY BAD.

    And that's still numbers. The pratical effect is much higher as a GCD waste can mean alot of things in dynamical encounters.

    Missing a entire Devouring Plague is alot larger dps loss than 1.08 PP you calculated.

  16. #16

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Perhaps slightly off topic, but have any Spriests been gearing with the assumption that they'll have the Draenei hit rating aura? I've been considering this as possibly viable for 25s (there's usually 6-7 Draenei per raid, so I'm getting nearly 100% odds that I'm near one).

  17. #17

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausagefan
    Perhaps slightly off topic, but have any Spriests been gearing with the assumption that they'll have the Draenei hit rating aura? I've been considering this as possibly viable for 25s (there's usually 6-7 Draenei per raid, so I'm getting nearly 100% odds that I'm near one).
    All dps in my raids gear up with this assumption.. It's fine if you're 100% sure there will be a draenei around.

  18. #18
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Armoury is down atm.

  19. #19

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Because raw SP gems are beter than raw hit gems... and although you disagree that missing is acceptable the sim craft tells you even with the misses you will do more dps... hit is not what it used to be, ie. you dont sacrafice raw dps stats just to reach the cap.

    And because we like to quote math...
    1 SP = 1 PP, therefore 19 SP gem = 19 PP
    1 hit rating = 1.12 PP, therefore 16 hit gem = 17.92 PP

    The only time hit is better is using a Vieled Monarch Topaz in a yellow socket to pick up a decent socket bonus... this would be the case in the T7.5 gloves for example.
    The best that might be said for your approach is that it's courting variance (another fun math term you learn if you spend enough time playing poker). It makes somewhat more sense for a one button spamming class, where missing isn't a big equity loss from overall DPS. Losing a DP or wasting GCDs on missed VTs is a huge equity loss for Spriests. When it works out, of course it'll look great. I'd rather have smooth, consistent performance than half pwn half fail.

  20. #20

    Re: Spriest crit or haste?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trentil
    I disagree with every single thing you've said. About the only thing you did right here was the math, with wrong numbers. Also, anyone that uses SimCraft religiously is a failure, especially if you're a shadow priest.

    That being said, let's see your armory.

    Here is mine for your personal reference and to learn OH so much about your class.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...idan&n=Trentil
    I don't get why you're using 8 sp / 7 spi gems in 2 sockets of your gear. it's not like the set bonus sways it over using a 19 sp gem either... you could also afford to drop the +16 hit in gloves for a 9 sp / 8 hit gem. every little helps

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •