4HM Marks? DoT or not?

Hi guys,
    I'm new here!

Yesterday I tried 4HM with my guild... we're short on DPS, so we agreed to use the "dance" tactic... every 3 marks, we switch group... tactic was nice, but we had some problems in understanding "marks"...

The marks can be considered as DoT? So if I get 2 marks i get 500 damage PER TICK? And what's the tick duration? I know it could appear as a noobish question, but it seems there's a lot of confusion 'bout this feature of the spell on every guide I've read.

Re: 4HM Marks? DoT or not?

I might be completely retarded when I say this, but I don't think the marks do damage over time, only when the mark is actually applied does it deal damage, increasing for every stack.

* First: 0
    * Second: 500
    * Third: 1500
    * Fourth: 4000

So when the fourth mark lands on you it deals 4,000 damage, and then no more until the fifth is applied.

But then again correct me if I'm wrong.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker
    I might be completely retarded when I say this, but I don't think the marks do damage over time, only when the mark is actually applied does it deal damage, increasing for every stack.

* First: 0
    * Second: 500
    * Third: 1500
    * Fourth: 4000

So when the fourth mark lands on you it deals 4,000 damage, and then no more until the fifth is applied.

But then again correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's right. And also it's not a magical debuff, not even physical, it's just special. Can't be iceblocked, can't be palabubbled. The damage upon receiving a mark cannot be resisted, but the mark debuff itself can be resisted so it is possible (and happens quite often to my shadowpriest tanking the caster on 10man) that you get some time without a mark because the last marks duration was reached and the new application was resisted.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Thx for the fast answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Can't be iceblocked, can't be palabubbled. The damage upon receiving a mark cannot be resisted, but the mark debuff itself can be resisted so it is possible (and happens quite often to my shadowpriest tanking the caster on 10man) that you get some time without a mark because the last marks duration was reached and the new application was resisted.
    Indeed, I noticed my iceblock didn't work :'(