Prot - What professions are you?

So I was thinking about ditching my mining for a profession that would help out. Thought about going JC for the pris gems. Already have enchanting for the stam on the rings. (which I think equals to the same as BS being able to add 2 sockets now.

Thoughts?

(oh, and I have other characters that can mine.. lol)

Re: Prot - What professions are you?

JC / Mining == win win

Other Good combos

JC / LW
    JC / BS
    JC / Enchanting

The hard part is getting 2 crafting professions up and no gathering profession. If you can get two crafting professions up, regardless of what they are, you're setting yourself up for a nice boost in stats.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

As a Tankadin myself, I have a similar situation.

I am an Enchanter and a Scribe, and, like you say, Enchanting is pretty good, with the ring enchants and all, and I couldn't drop it anyway, as I have grown too attached to it after spending hours grinding all the rare drops, and, like you say, it is pretty much equal with the extra sockets you get from BSing.

My main qualm is with Inscription. I took it, foolishly, because I was drawn in by the allure of a new profession, but, if I am honest I am incredibly disappointed. The benefits are minimal. The shoulder enchant may be nice, but compared to the benefits of Jewelcrafting (what I am wanting to change to) it comes up short. The trinket and BoP gems from JCing are amazing, especially for a tankadin. After calculating, I worked out it would give over 1000 extra health from taking JCing, and 300 dodge for 10 seconds every minute. Compared to something like +0.80% dodge from the shoulder enchant of Inscription.

JCing is a wonderful profession, especially at the minute, so I would recommend that. For me, I don't know whether to change (I have all the mats ready to make the change as my alt is a miner and has been gathering mats, so it really wouldn't cost me a copper) or whether to wait to see if Scribes get buffed in 3.1. What do others think?

But yeah, before you drop mining (if you do) I would spend a bit of time gathering mats for a bit, just to save you a bit of money.

C
    x

Don's ask me how my professions worked out this way but they did:

Prot Paladin 450 JC & 450 BS This is a great combo for a tank. Prismatic gems and Extra sockets
    Mage 450 Mining & 450 Alchemy
    PVE Healing Priest 420+ Tailoring / 400+ Herbalism
    Rogue 425+ Engineering / 400+ Enchanting

On lower level toons I have the other professions but don't really bother with them much.
    Shaman 300 Skinning 250+ Leather working (At the time this was the last profession in the game)
    Druid fail 150 Inscription/Herbalism

My thoughts after the fact. With the changes to Herbalism I would have much better off giving this to a non healing class like my Mage / Rogue.
    Alchemy is awesome for any healing class because of the Mad alchemist / crazy alchemist. potions.

I would have done it this way if I could do it all over again:

Paladin JC/BS
    Mage Mining/Tailoring
    Rogue Engineering/Herbalism (I think I would rather have the heal over the skinning bonus)
    Priest Alchemy/Enchanting
    Druid Inscription/Anything
    Shaman Skinning/Anything

JC for prismatic gems, and Alch for longer flasks and more efeckt.

This works great as a healer as well, but when epic gems comes out i might change JC to BS, although its a pain to lvl, since in the benefitt will be bigger.

If i had two seperate chars id go for mining/bs on a pure tank class, not to optimize, but to make life easyer.

JC/BS is what I've had since shortly after 2.4, can't go wrong with it except for the costs - LW/JC is slightly better I think, but I'm not dropping BS as I'm close to collecting all plans (bloody WMB:@). Custos, remember that blizz will probably add in better JC trinkets again with the epic gems (yeah, gems were around first in BC, I know), and from the OPness of the BC ones (serpent FTW) and these ones we're in for some good trinkets if they do.

I'm Mining/Armorsmith (hey I still have hope for meta to chest socket)

Barring that BS/JC(Most flexibility) or BS/LW (good option if your trying to max stam)

But then lvling a new prof from the start is a huge money sink.

Everyone that rerolled JC is, frankly, pretty stupid. The advantage the prismatic gems provide will only decline in quality when epic gems come out in a future patch (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40119). It's also pretty stupid to drop mining as it already gives 50 stam and that's more than you can pick up anywhere else. Every encounter in the game is also a joke right now. Without Brutallus-level fights there's hardly any need for tanks to min / max so severely they dump 4k gold or 20 hours of farming into leveling a profession.

Unless you live on some bizzaro-world server where you absolutely need more defense from a prismatic gem, rather than just plain stam, and you can't get it because nobody raids - it isn't worth it. But hey, there isn't much else to do. This level of boredom makes people do crazy things.

jewelcrafting and enchanting on my prot warr
    though I didn't know it would have been such good profs for tanking at the moment I choose them >=)
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Zarcob
    Everyone that rerolled JC is, frankly, pretty stupid. The advantage the prismatic gems provide will only decline in quality when epic gems come out in a future patch (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40119). It's also pretty stupid to drop mining as it already gives 50 stam and that's more than you can pick up anywhere else. Every encounter in the game is also a joke right now. Without Brutallus-level fights there's hardly any need for tanks to min / max so severely they dump 4k gold or 20 hours of farming into leveling a profession.

Unless you live on some bizzaro-world server where you absolutely need more defense from a prismatic gem, rather than just plain stam, and you can't get it because nobody raids - it isn't worth it. But hey, there isn't much else to do. This level of boredom makes people do crazy things.
    Actually, i rerolled JC after 2.4 for the crimson serpent trinket, second best trinket in game at that point and the second best pre-wrath was something to grind for - I've continued with JC because atm it's good and I don't really want to start levelling mining in lowbie areas. This was way before mining gave anything, not even the 500 hp version (which is what, 40 sta?). As it stands, IMO JC gives you too much flexibility in the rest of your gear because of high stam trinkets to turn down, and the extra def gems for resist gear is a small bonus on top. Yes, this will change, although I would be very unsurprised if JC trinkets ended up the best trinkets again if/when new ones roll which is probably going to be around when icecrown or the 3.2 mystery raid will roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarcob

]

Yeah, so that's wrong.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36767

+30 < +41

So you can be sitting at 1230 or 900. Is it worth the work is an opinionated question. Is it better than mining? my god.... yes.

500 hp's or 1230.

thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by infection
    So you can be sitting at 1230 or 900. Is it worth the work is an opinionated question. Is it better than mining? my god.... yes.
    /facepalm

We'll start at the beginning so you can follow.

Best possible gems available to non-jewelcrafters for pure stamina:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40008: Solid Sky Sapphire. It grants 24 stamina.

Although it's obvious they'll add epic gems, if they follow the same patterns as before, those will grant 30 stamina. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40119

If you're Jewelcrafter, you can upgrade those 30 stamina to 41, but only three of them because they're Unique (3). The difference of one gem is 11 stamina (41 - 30), so 11 times 3 is 33 stamina net gain.

Even if you're incredibly dense and firmly believe there will never be epic gems then the difference is 17 per gem (41 - 24). 17 times 3 is 51 stamina net gain.

If, however, you kept mining it gives 50 stamina at the max rank of toughness http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53040. Wowhead still shows it as hp but it gives stamina in 3.0.8.

So, the choice is 51 stamina from current gems, which will cost you many hours of farming to reroll or many thousands of gold to skill up.

50 stamina from doing nothing.

or possibly only 33 stamina with the advent of a new content patch adding a higher rank of epic gems, plus all the farming and thousands of gold to skill up regardless.

Yeah, so that's right. Mining is fine. Even if you were in the l33test sauce raid guild ever and tanked mobs that hit harder than god, 1 extra stamina isn't worth it. It's just not. It really isn't up for debate, it's pretty blatantly obvious. And you're not even in a situation where that level of min / maxing would even matter, so it's a complete and utter wasted time sink for you.

1 stamina gain is not worth the effort. Period.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

The trinket is pretty awesome though, stamina and use wise. Which will no doubt be updated to an epic version later on.

C
    x

Deleted

I had mining + engineering but then I ditched mining and took JC. That move gave me two very excellent trinkets, and I can now craft gems for my other chars. Engineering is usability-wise a rather poor choice -- blacksmithing would be better -- but I love how the goggles look like