Mage and Tailoring?

Well rite now i in the midst of leveling my mage through nr since i already leveld my doomkin and protadin, and was wondering is tailoring a good prof to pick up, im currently herb/alch and they are both about 400+ but since i dont have a problem with gold i was thinking maybe just pick up another crafting prof to give my mage more benefits for him. i was also thinking engineering as a slight possibility. tailoring though doesnt have many bop things that are attractive so i could just have another tailor make the stuff for me..
    anyone have some suggestions or comments? thanks

Re: Mage and Tailoring?

Quote Originally Posted by djskeetskeet707
    Well rite now i in the midst of leveling my mage through nr since i already leveld my doomkin and protadin, and was wondering is tailoring a good prof to pick up, im currently herb/alch and they are both about 400+ but since i dont have a problem with gold i was thinking maybe just pick up another crafting prof to give my mage more benefits for him. i was also thinking engineering as a slight possibility. tailoring though doesnt have many bop things that are attractive so i could just have another tailor make the stuff for me..
    anyone have some suggestions or comments? thanks
    My only coment is that I just dropped my 430+ tailoring skill (with some "rare" pre wotlk recips - many of those of RP value) to spend over 2k leveling JC.

You won't make much profit with tailoring, maybe sell some clicks by doing leg patches, that's all.

Deleted

Tailoring definately isn't a moneymaker. I'm currently only holding on to it for the carpets and the possibility of craftable epic BoP's in Ulduar or Icecrown.

I made the money for my epic flyer pre-Wrath selling spellthread and various cloths, and made ~3k gold post-Wrath selling the same thing.

Tailoring makes money if you do it correctly...being able to farm one's own cloth really helps, and as a frost mage, I was able to do that.

Also don't blow all your profits on Orbs, if you have to, ask in trade to buy them below AH value, I've bought a few orbs for <50g (they go for 100g on AH) by asking in trade.

Most crafting professions at the moment seem to be 'incomplete' and don't have many (if any) lvl 80 BoP items.

I suspect what they're going to do is release these recipes to be a 'lvl down' from the latest BoP raiding/pvp epics from the latest patch.

So, when 3.1 hits, there will be some BoP recipes that'll be comparable with stuff you can get in 10 man Naxx/OS/Maly

Then, when 3.2 hits, there will be some BoP recipes that'll be comparable with 25 man Naxx etc and 10 man Ulduar

etc.etc

Unfortunately, this is different from what we had in tbc where crafting epics were perfectly acceptable ways of gearing up for raids with recipe drops in one raid producing gear that would be ok to get started with in the next raid level. This also means that you're more likely to benefit from this with an alt that you're still levelling up as these new recipes should be available by the time you hit 80 rather than from your main which may be at the 'bleeding edge' of raid progression.

If not, then I really don't see the point in bothered to max out your professions. In LW I can already make the stuff that I need at the moment (bracer and leg enchants) and everything else is just BoE.

So, what I'm saying with all this is (and being optomistic at the moment), yes Tailoring sucks. But maybe wait a bit and see what's on the PTR 3.1 (which must be online 'soon' - maybe a week or so?) before making an drastic decisions.

I really *really* hope they plan on introducing daily profession quests for all professions like the JC ones in the next patch for example.