Thread: FFB rotation?

FFB rotation?

So I was discussing spell rotations using FFB. We got into an arguement about using Fire Blast. Is fire blast a practical spell to use, or is it a waste?

Re: FFB rotation?

It's always a waste, unless you're moving and can't do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdmage
    So I was discussing spell rotations using FFB. We got into an arguement about using Fire Blast. Is fire blast a practical spell to use, or is it a waste?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That

I'd say its also good as the last spell if the mob would die before you could get any other spell off (such as ffb)

using fireblast in your rotation is a waste of mana.
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

Only use Fire Blast when moving or when your target won't live another 2,5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockk
    Only use Fire Blast when moving or when your target won't live another 2,5s.
    From Manly's OP "The Frostfire Bolt thread" on EJ:

Interesting data points from spreadsheet
    spell DPSC
    scorch 3000
    fireblast 4150
    ffb 4500
    living bomb 6650
    hs pyro 8500
    hs pyro + 4x dot 9500
    You can see the post for his assumptions on this, but the relative values are what's important. Basically in a rotation HS Pyro > LB > FFB > FBlast. So basically don't cast FBlast unless you can't cast the other 3 spells there.

I do not understand the logic. Fire Blast is an insta-cast spell. Why wouldn't you hit the button when it refreshes and then go back to your FFB cycles? From a damage / time prespective, how could it not be a good option?

I need clarification, because this is not making sense.

Because even though it's instant cast you waste 1.5 seconds of would could be FFB cast time on its gcd for a small ammount of damage. Also the mana cost is rather high.

Only time I use it is on trash or when I know something is going to die before I could get another FFB off.

Because from a dmg/time perspective, you're wasting a GCD on a spell that scaling horribly. Compare Fire Blast to FFB: Fire Blast gets .29dmg/sec added on for every point of spellpower. FFB gets more around .35dmg/sec. Then add in that Fire Blast crits hit one-third less than FFB. Once you get much gear at all, that GCD is better spent getting off FFB.

That was what I thought. Fire Blast is a waste of the GCD and mana IMO and should only be used for finishing moves.

You can use it while moving, or as stated, when you don't have time to get another FFB off before the mob is dead.

Personally, I like to use Arcane Missiles as the last spell I cast because it drives my raid leader absolutely CRAZY.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

Only place I have ever used FireBlast is Heroic Nexus, or other bosses/trash i need to move to hit. Also used it on adds when they got just enough health it will kill them and they are moving at me. IMO its only good for finishing moves or situation you have to move alot just to maintain the damage output while in combat or get in that last lil dps push.
    Global warming in Azeroth is serious business. They have melted and seek to flood the world! The Ice Stone has melted!- Kisirani (Blizzard Epic Realm Error "Love is in the Air" Event 2009)

I use Fireblast only when
    1) just before the mob dies and even casting scorch would be too slow
    2) whilst having to reposition

The major problems with the spell are short range, high mana cost, and the GCD seems to take forever

my FFB rotation:
    Living Bomb, scorch, FFB, if I'm the only mage then scorch, FFB until LB needs to refresh. Recast scorch every 25 secs.