Tank threat in raids.

Has anyone else noticed that Paladin threat is head and shoulders above what any other tanks can put out? I mean, I (as a Druid) have been out TPSed by a Prot Pally even though I was doing 900 more DPS than he was. I was tanking Sartharion and he pulled aggro like it was nobody's business. And before you call me a noob, I was doing 2200 DPS in bear form, the pally was doing about 1300, and no one else was even close to catching me.

I'm talking about Single-target threat, not AoE. I expect a Paladin to out-threat any other tank when it comes to AoE pulls, but now it feels like they're the number one tank all around.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Re: Tank threat in raids.

well pallys have a full mana bar to spend and spam atacks as they want , you my friend have to wait for rage

I tend to pull threat off my guild's pally tank as a DK tank. Even though he outgears me, and honestly he's pretty damn good, since they buffed DK tank threat I've been able to keep up with him pretty easily. On bosses and single target stuff I have to try really hard if I want to pull aggro from him, but as an unholy tank I don't even have to try to pull aggro on AoE pulls. In all honesty, I think unholy DKs outshine pallies when it comes to AoE threat now. At least that's what I've noticed.

Is this before or after 3.0.8?
    I believe the threat from light was removed and shield of righteousness rank 1 didn't share a cooldown with rank 2.

Most of my issues with paly tanks pulling off me comes at the beginning of the fight. Those fuckers have crazy snap agro. But as the fight rolls on i find that they cannot keep up with my tps if they are not the focus of attacks.

clicky for armory

It all depends on the rotation the paladin is using. For those that used the crutch of ShoR rank 1 and 2 or Judging Light for threat, there is going to be a major loss in threat. For those that snubbed their noses at those crutches you'll notice no change. On Malygos (25) If I'm OT or MT it won't matter, I can put out 7k TPS just by making sure that I use my conbinations well.

After you reach a certain level of gear, it's all about rotations and skill.

(not a fan of the 696 rotation btw)

/r
    Dal

It could be the players but the only tank we have that is significantly lower than the rest is a our druid tank. Pallies and Warriors are pretty close to equal on threat with pallies doing a little more dps. We don't have any DK tanks so I don't know how their threat is doing.

Not really. They are #1 on threat but not by a large margin at all. Our best pally, our best warrior, and myself as a frost DK are rather close on single target threat (after 3.0.8 ).

Pre patch yes, they were miles ahead of everyone.

No comparison to druid...our tanking druids all rerolled to other tanking classes.

On patchwerk, I (pally tank) was MT and a druid was offtank and by the end of the fight I was around 1400 on omen3 while the druid was around 1000, our dk 3rd tank was around 900.

Maybe it's just my rotation though, as I can't give big credit to our tanks knowing rotations very well. It would be easy to say "they are pro tanks", but that is an opinion with every person you come against.

You are up against another person and can't watch his/her screen (or at least I can't). So there is no real justification towards a pally out threating anyone in the game right now.

But yes, nerfing our threat from JoL and sharing the rank 1 and 2 cooldown on our SHoR made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by infection
    On patchwerk, I (pally tank) was MT and a druid was offtank and by the end of the fight I was around 1400 on omen3 while the druid was around 1000, our dk 3rd tank was around 900.
    Those numbers are pretty bad even for 10man.. this was 10man right?

Quote Originally Posted by hnd
    Those numbers are pretty bad even for 10man.. this was 10man right?
    Sounds more that he is speaking about DPS. not TPS ( not sure tho , he mentioned omen)

I'm pretty certain that Paladin is top of TPS, and by a good margin. Even past the recent patch.

I'm using full 25-man gear minus maybe 2 slots, and I have quite a bit of my gems/enchants towards TPS. The mostly equally geared pally tank I'm usually tanking with is completely gem'd for stam/avoidance.

However even with vigilance on him, and me doing nearly 50% more DPS, he still can pull threat off of me/stay right with me. Believe me it's not a matter of me 'sucking' either. The last patchwerk I had one, single melee swing the entire fight. The rest of the fight I was using an ability on every single GCD, and every swing was a heroic strike.

I did around 2400-2500 DPS, and he did about 1600-1700 DPS. Despite this, he was right up my ass on threat the entire time (within 5-10%), and even pulled threat initially at the start.
    Prot: 31661 HP, 23.6k armor, 23.2% dodge, 20.2% parry, 25% block, 25 exp.
    Fury: 4k AP, 38% crit, 10% hit, 7% exp

Always will be prot main spec.