Ret Dps Cycle

Using the numbers from Redcapes ret dps spreadsheet i have found this cycle in theory to do nearly the same dps as the FCFS priority system.
    I would like to hear other people's opinion or thoughts (or numbers to prove me wrong) on this. (This cycle is using the consecration glyph and t7 4 piece)
    Also please don't post if you are just gonna post a link to EJ's ret paladin rotation section because I already know what their stance on the issue is.

/castsequence reset=nocombat Judgement of wisdom, Divine Storm, Crusader Strike, consecration, Judgement of wisdom, Crusader Strike, Divine Storm, Judgement of wisdom, Consecration, Crusader Strike

Re: Ret Dps Cycle

if it's nearly the same why wouldn't you save yourself the peace of mind and just use the FCFS?

Min-maxing dps?

That's a good rotation for anyone who has the 4-piece bonus.

FCFS is overrated, I've used it and I have made a 33second rotation that uses an 8sec judgment (no 4-piece bonus yet...) Using a macro'd rotation, I see a solid dps improvement over FCFS, and the bettered geared Ret's I run with who are stuck on FCFS, don't understand why I do better dps. (after all EJ is never wrong...)

In my opinion, the strength of a macro'd rotation is not that it has theoretically higher dps, but that it prevents you from making the wrong choice of abilitities during the heat of the battle. I'm sure there are perfect Ret's out there who would never make a mistake, but a fixed rotation allows us mere mortals to do very well.

I use a reset=4 to allow the macro to reset if I'm running around dodging crap. Then the first thing I'll use is my judgment when I get back into position.

It also has plenty of 'holes' that allow you to thread AW, Ex, and HW into your rotation. It also shouldn't be hard to develop additional rotations that include either/or EX and HW into the rotation for undead fights and the last 20%. Switch to those macros when appropriate.

Thanks for sharing.

Using a castsequence macro will nerf your dps to doom.

i use judg/CS/ds/con/ex/jud/cs/ds/hw/ex, thats my usual rotation. I always use the fcfs if my Cd's are up.

Quote Originally Posted by mightus
    Using the numbers from Redcapes ret dps spreadsheet i have found this cycle in theory to do nearly the same dps as the FCFS priority system.
    I would like to hear other people's opinion or thoughts (or numbers to prove me wrong) on this. (This cycle is using the consecration glyph and t7 4 piece)
    Also please don't post if you are just gonna post a link to EJ's ret paladin rotation section because I already know what their stance on the issue is.

/castsequence reset=nocombat Judgement of wisdom, Divine Storm, Crusader Strike, consecration, Judgement of wisdom, Crusader Strike, Divine Storm, Judgement of wisdom, Consecration, Crusader Strike

All that work, for "nearly" the same dps? Why bother?
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Castseqence macros are for the lazy. Also, anecdotal evidence comparing one person's dps to another's means very little when you fail to mention gear differences and/or latency differences. If the castsequence macro boosts your dps, that's good for you, but it probably also means you either weren't prioritizing correctly before or missing cooldowns to begin with.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sisters+of+Elune&cn=Xiangnala

Deleted

This is stupid and you are stupid. The reason FCFS works is because of delays which you did not include in your spreadsheet.

There is nothing magical about FCFS. Its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, and that is its flexibility. It is very dependent on player skill. A good player will do very well, while a less skilled player will be constantly hurting their own dps and not even knowing it.

No matter what method you use (FCFS or a castsequence) there is no way to keep all of a Ret paladins abilities on cool down all of the time. This is just math.

When using FCFS, your ability prioritization is done on the fly in your head. What is very difficult to do in your head is predict cool down clashes where selecting a weaker ability actually increases your dps by preventing future clashes. This is where mapping GCDs and ability cool downs makes it possible to analyze future states of all of your CD's and make non-intuitive tweaks to your rotation to reduce clashes and increase your DPS.

I believe a good player can use a castsequence macro with great effect, while also knowing when to ditch the macro and go FCFS when needed. It is the effective utilization of all tools that can make a good player better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf
    This is stupid and you are stupid. The reason FCFS works is because of delays which you did not include in your spreadsheet.
    Could you please be more specific about these delays? I'm not aware of anything beyond server/connections latencies that will add additional delays to any rotation.

If you have the 4 set bonus, your cycle should look like this anyway if your prioritizing correctly on the FCFS basis. And IMHO, cast sequences are BAD for us.

/thumbsup for putting in the effort of a spread sheet though.

For all the FCFS junkies out there...

Even if you use First Come First Serve rules...there's a rotation that develops out of the abilities and cooldowns - although most encounters won't last long enough to run the full rotation - that resets once your abilities' CD's become available in the same order with out delay as your first full ability rotation.

Blutelf, his spreadsheet accounts for the GCD...so unless you're talking about latency, FCFS does not have any special magical delays?