Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...

Re: What's your Prot Pally wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Parium
    And str gives?
    BLOCK VALUE and atk power....oh yeah.....
    You don't seem t understand. If you have a red socket, and you want to meet the socket bonus, you gem dodge, not strength. Strength will net you tiny amounts of block value (about 10 BV).

Gemming for strength means you have threat problems, having threat problems means you're a bad tank.

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    You don't seem t understand. If you have a red socket, and you want to meet the socket bonus, you gem dodge, not strength. Strength will net you tiny amounts of block value (about 10 BV).

Gemming for strength means you have threat problems, having threat problems means you're a bad tank.
    If ypu look at my gear, you'll notice I dont have any str gems. If you read what I said and applied to to gear sets you'd realize I was talking about a threat set. STR is our #1 threat stat followed by hit.

I understand my class vey well. I also understand that in different situations and different goal calls for different enchants and gemming and stats stacking. For threat STR is one of those things you stack.

a skirt.

Strength = Awesome

Since Strength = BV + AP = Threat + Mitigation

Dodge = Dodge = Avoidance

When it comes down to it, each is simply a different way of itemising, however you get more ipoints out of strength due to talents + kings + no diminishing returns on BV. Thus Strength gets you more bang for your buck, Avoidance is handy, but at the end of the day it doesn't really change how much your healers heal you, since in the worst case you can still take 2 or 3 or 5x unavoided hits in a row even with 65%+ avoidance

Mitigation however is worst case scenario avoidance, since in the worst case scenario you're going to take less damage the avoidance tank who gets unlucky. Of course if you do itemise for avoidance then you increase your chance of getting "lucky" and avoiding that potentially fatal hit, so it all balances out at the end of the day.

Ideally you should aim for a balance between the two which maximises your use of ipoints, excessive stacking of BV leads to excess block rating getting pushed off the hit table, which is wasted ipoints. Likewise each role within an encounter leans slightly more towards a certain type of itemisation, modify your itemisation accordingly as there's no single "best" way of doing things (Although there are some which are "highly reccommended lol")

Str = mitigation? Yes reducing those hits from general by 200 / hit will really save your healers more mana than extra avoidance...

Holy Thread Ressurection Batman

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    Holy Thread Ressurection Batman
    Beat me to it, but yeah, dug deep for this one...

Must say I have no idea how I found it :-X