Paladin History Lesson

Ever wonder how come the Paladin talents are the way they are today? Ever wonder what they were before? Do you want to know the true reason behind the term "Retnoob"? Then look no further! I have recreated the original Paladin talent tree for your enjoyment. Marvel at the 31 point BoK for Retribution and 21 point Consecration! Be amazed at the 11 point Divine Favor! Grab your loved ones for comfort at the sight of Reckoning and Improved Seal of Justice!

http://www.war-tools.com/t60945.html

A few things that the talents don't convey:

1. Seal of the Crusader, at release, gave you the attack power bonus and 40% haste, but no penelty (which allowed a naked 60 paladin to out melee at fully geared 60 warrior).

2. Seal of Command, for clarification, does holy damage equal to your melee weapon damage but at 4 PPM. So if you character sheet says you hit for 1000 top end damage, your SoC could crit for 2000 (as holy damage). In addition, the Judgment effect works well with Seal of Justice; even if the target is immune to stuns, SoJ procs will still do holy damage (letting 20 paladins deal crazy damage with Improved Seal of Justice and one Judgment of Command).

3. Reckoning can store an infinite number of charges (at this point in time).

4. Seal of Fury: Places a seal on the Paladin, increasing threat caused by 50% for 20s. (Unsure of the Judgment, only have the pre-release version description)

So enjoy and marvel on how far the Paladin has come!

PS: 11/25/15 is THE Paladin build; it is also how the term Retnoob came about because only a noob would go into Ret for damage, not getting Reckoning.

Re: Paladin History Lesson

Was this from the release of WoW, or from the beta? i can't remember that far back on what the talents looked like. Played a paladin since the release of the game, went holy, did try reckoning for the sake of doing duels outside of iron forge etc.

The nerf to the reckoning bomb;
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGTL6BC_cg

Reckoning bomb in action;
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=goCtuBPPKlk

Well brings back a few memories. Seal of Fury's judgment by the way double the threat of holy damage you dealt to the target, but unless you had holy shock back then which was only an attack at 31 holy(no healing aspect) which no one but a select few like 5% of the population had, really only consecration was the sure fire way to get holy damage to the target as SoC and SoR both were procs, SoR had like a 40-60% proc rate generally though it was based on weapon speed.

Also 11/25/15 was not THE paladin spec back then, it was the pvp spec for nonraiding paladins going for Grand Marshal mostly, to be a decent raid healer you needed 19 points in holy and blessing of kings was 31 points in ret. So almost 75% of paladins that raided had a variation of a 19/0/32 spec. That spec allowed a paladin to heal well, even though we really lacked the gear to heal 5 mans until BWL and even 1.9 one could say, though some still could pull it off. It could allow also a paladin to solo well. Why was 31 points in Ret better for PVE? Because the talents it offer allowed you dps better than reckoning, prot besides reckoning offered almost nothing in terms of dps. Believe it or not, Ret was also the better tanking tree, cause although Prot had some survivability it had the threat of a dog turd. 11/25/15 was a pvp healing survival spec, you sat back and healed while have some points in prot for survivability after taking a bunch of crits you would toss up SoC then one shot someone and go back to healing. Generally this spec was used for a paladin the ran BGs with a good warrior going for GM together where he would keep the warrior healed then finish a target with any charges he built up.

Pretty funny how BoK when from the very bottom of one tree to the very top of another while otherwise being unchanged. If anything shows how much the class and this game have changed, I would think that does.

Thats cool, thanks for recreating that I wasnt around for the very start (i first hit 60 around the time the AQ war event started), so i never saw those. Any chance someone can recreate some of the other classes? I would like to see them :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

to be a decent raid healer you needed 19 points in holy and blessing of kings was 31 points in ret.
    You mean you had a chance to heal in MC between re-blessing every 5 minutes and cleansing

I want McHammar's babies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcE0dSL61so

Quote Originally Posted by fendrix
    You mean you had a chance to heal in MC between re-blessing every 5 minutes and cleansing
    $&^@&$&^@$
    1) "Buff up. Paladins, get blessings up"
    2) "Ok time to explain the fight"
    3) "And that's how we'll kill this boss... paladin blessing are running out, rebless"

Oh and we didn't have enough mana to bless 40 people without sitting down to drink. Oh and mages could only make 2 water per cast. Every time I see people looking back at Vanilla wow with rose colored glasses it makes me so mad.

Ahahahaha.
    So true around that time.

Nice work putting this together man. Fun to see again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

I think I joined up about 6 months after the game's release, so I'm not sure how much the talent trees changed from the launch to that point, but it is amazing to see the difference now. I DO remember them moving Kings and Consecration into different trees WAY too often. And I do remember being able to heal most 5-mans at the time, and loved doing UBRS. Although, I have no idea how I did it, as there was almost no spellpower plated to speak of outside of 40-mans.

Ah...good times. No, wait, that's wrong. Ah...shitty times. :P
    WTF folder, indeed.