Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Inscription needs more!

With almost every other profession, you get quite a bit to make. BS's get tons of weapons/armor and stuff like that, and now get to add 2 additional sockets. LW's get some things to attach to armor, I think bracers and something else (Not 100% about more).. JC's get tons of really good gems and trinkets.

As a scribe, I get 1 shoulder enchant, and 2 tomes that won't even make it past quest item 80 gear. I admit we can make some gold, but I'm not talking about gold. We get to learn our glyphs each day, but nothing that hundreds of other scribes don't already have, and that we can only use ourselves. We should have the extra major glyph spot like I had heard before inscription was released. That, or some inscription only glyphs would be nice too.

Any ideas, or thoughts? Maybe new ideas for stuff we could get, or if you disagree tell me why.
    That's badass!.......I say badass now

Re: Inscription needs more!

Blacksmiths can get 2 extra sockets, which is able to net them 64ap or something equivalent. Your BoP shoulders have (I think) the same stat bonus as an upgrade from the baseline version (Sons of Hodir exalted.)

Compare how much profit blacksmiths make from selling random armor/weapon (not a lot) with how much time you save from not having to do Sons of Hodir rep grind. While inscription isn't as "fun" for many people, it's hardly a bad profession for min/maxing your character's stats.

But how many items can BS's make? That's what I'm talking about, not time, gold, effort, anything like that. Just profession only things, and we get 1 thing worth getting.
    That's badass!.......I say badass now

Quote Originally Posted by VenomC
    But how many items can BS's make? That's what I'm talking about, not time, gold, effort, anything like that. Just profession only things, and we get 1 thing worth getting. ?
    0 BoP epics (everything else is just worth time/gold). The ONLY thing BS's get is the 2 sockets (and a BoP blue at 78 that is on-par with the amphitheatre reward).

And have to spend a lot of time to change glyphs when they respec. People don't even buy the BS epics because many of them are worse than blue gear. After you weed out the crap from the list of BS craftables, you don't end up with much. For example, compare http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=41392;44201;37618 .
    The sockets also cost materials+a gem to use. While other classes have cheap enchants that replace a normal enchanting slot (saves money).

But how many items can BS's make? That's what I'm talking about, not time, gold, effort, anything like that. Just profession only things, and we get 1 thing worth getting.
    It's exactly the same for blacksmiths. Except the extra sockets require slightly different mats depending on placing. Rest of blacksmith stuff is generally worthless trash or close to it. At the same time, it's absolute hell to level that profession.

BS BoP Link: http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter...:2:1;crv=0:0:0

I assume we were talking about profession only items? In wich case, yeah, that is really "tons of weapons/armor and stuff line that". I do admit that the 2 extra sockets are nice though. :)

As for the "inscription only glyphs", how do you propose they would balance that? Since glyphs don't add stats, but modify spells, you're never going to be content with whatever special glyph you get anyway, since professions aren't ment to make or break a class/encounter. (leatherworking drums anyone?)

An extra glyph slot is nice I suppose, but I don't know how unbalanced that might be for some classes, and for some classes it's even useless (especially with dual specs around the corner).

Oh, and since you mentioned JC:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter...:7:1;crv=0:0:0

I'll give you the "really good gems" part, but I disagree with the "and trinkets" statement (although I'd at least agree with that they're good, but not "very good" ;)

Now, regarding the gems, you can only have 3 BoP gems in your equipped gear at any one time, so let's use the 27 agility gems as an example, and then mention that the blue gem got 16 agility.

27-16=11, with me so far? This is the extra bonus the BoP gem gives compared to a normal blue gem.
    11*3=33, still with me? This is the total extra bonus the 3 BoP gems gives compared to 3 normal blue gems.

So, let's compare this to the BS sockets with 2 normal 16 agility gems in it.

16*2=32, you still reading this? So, the JC BoP gems netted a massive ONE extra agility compared to the Blacksmithing alternative.

I'm quite certain that Jenton already mentioned the difference between the two sockets and your shoulder enchant.

Edit: seems that 2 persons already beat me to the blacksmithing part.

The good thing with BS is that its crafter-only bonus scales and its also totally customizable.
    Right now the two extra sockets are worth 32 itemization points (never use prismatic gems in the BS sockets in case you're also JC like myself) but when the epic gems hit it will be worth 40 which will bring it ahead other crafter-only benefits.
    And yes thats fine compared to the hoops blacksmiths have to jump through to level this god-forsaken beast.Thank god we can make a profit with BS nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Agroculture
    Right now the two extra sockets are worth 32 itemization points (never use prismatic gems in the BS sockets in case you're also JC like myself) but when the epic gems hit it will be worth 40 which will bring it ahead other crafter-only benefits.
    Unless the epic gems become Unique(3) like the JC-only gems. Or other professions get other boosts (better enchants at 450 skill maybe). You just don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by halmmar
    Unless the epic gems become Unique(3) like the JC-only gems. Or other professions get other boosts (better enchants at 450 skill maybe). You just don't know yet.
    The epic gems are allready in the game files.Technically the other proffesions could get better boosts later (and i'd like better prismatics myself),but BS still retains the absolute customization perk.

Any ideas, or thoughts? Maybe new ideas for stuff we could get, or if you disagree tell me why.
    Well as many would agree, its not inscription only that needs to be buffed.  Its all professions that need to buffed similar to Jewelcrafting.  JCs have a very lucratic profession that also allows good items and customizable buffs.  This is not overpowered.  This is how *all* professions should be.

Inscription isn't in a bad state ATM, it just needs something more flashy to it, to make it more fun.  Its definitely lucrative (I've made well over 25k gold off of it since December - just glyphs, no cards), though not as interesting as JC.  A daily quest to learn some extremely rare or powerful glyphs or items (a trinket for example, since offhands can't be used by all classes).

Overall I think the idea of having 1/2 randomly learned glyphs once per 20 hours is just...boring.   This profession needs to be spiced up.

I really enjoy Inscription as it is right now. Sure it could use a little sprucing-up, ie. it'd be cool if we could make a portable tome/thing-you-have-to-be-around-to-apply-a-glyph-thing (someone remind me what that's called, drawing a blank O_o).

What I'm really worried about is the 3.1 dual-spec feature. We have the potential to make decent gold right now from people reglyphing when they respec, but the dual-spec feature is supposed to include glyph changes!

• JC is a great money-maker because gear constantly changes.
    • Enchants are always needed, though this profession just recently became as profitable as the rest via vellums.
    • Alchemy products are consumable, therefore never in short demand.

All the other professions are either for gear-crafting or gathering, but what will happen when our primary source of gold (selling glyphs) is confronted with a serious decrease in demand?

I really hope Blizz has something in mind to keep inscription from tanking when dual-specs go live. Thoughts?

As for what I really like about it - Darkmoon Card: Greatness (Agi) is amazing for my rogue. Farmed the mats myself - ended up buying the last 3 cards. The shoulder glyph is great to have because it means I have no reason whatsoever to farm rep with Sons of Hodir.

And finally: Scroll of Recall. <----Nuff said.

At least you get something with inscription... Tailoring gets nothing.

Garbage beginner epics? Check.
    Terrible cloak embroideries that are worse in most cases than the enchanting enchants? Check.
    A mount? I'd love to see that help you in a boss fight... Check.

Meanwhile, leatherworking gives you a bracer "enchant" that gives more spell-power than the best weapon SP enchant...

Quote Originally Posted by ooalien182
    At least you get something with inscription... Tailoring gets nothing.

Garbage beginner epics? Check.
    Terrible cloak embroideries that are worse in most cases than the enchanting enchants? Check.
    A mount? I'd love to see that help you in a boss fight... Check.

Meanwhile, leatherworking gives you a bracer "enchant" that gives more spell-power than the best weapon SP enchant...
    While I know they're not everything to everyone, 22-slot bags are quite nice and readily available to tailors. The gear isn't the best this time around (had FSW even into T6 on my s.priest in TBC), but the flying carpets pretty awesome now that they're no longer vehicle-ish mounts.

Only the best shoulder enchant in-game which translates into NO NEED TO GRIND SONS OF HODIR REP!

;D

I guess its just assumed Engineering is the absolute worst and is always left out of these debates while everyone else competes over which is the new "worst"

Woo for Eng glove haste enchant???

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    I guess its just assumed Engineering is the absolute worst and is always left out of these debates while everyone else competes over which is the new "worst"
    Engineering isn't a profession.

/gasp.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by donofthedead
    Engineering isn't a profession.

/gasp.

=)

You're right.....its a gold toilet.... /cry

Quote Originally Posted by wanax

You're right.....its a gold toilet.... /cry
    With as much fun as the stuff you make can be, I agree completely. That's the whole reason I refuse to take it up.

In TBC, enchanting was almost as bad as engineering. I had enchanting on my priest and he was always broke. Sure you can farm mats to sell, but selling the actual product of what you produce was a pain without vellums.

Now we're well into WotLK, and engineering still seems to be left in the dark on the gold-making.

who cares how many if like 5 items are usefull
    compare it to ammount of glyphs you can make...

besides if you dont like it, change it
    Quote Originally Posted by Darhaja
    bad math ur doing 1.5.... its 150% sooo 100 haste rating = 250 after the buff or 300 haste rating 150% = 750 haste dunno how u got 1.5 or 15% anywhere its giving u 150% more haste from the haste u already have why do ppl try to always complicate things.