Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Official site update, Blue posts, Fan Arts

Lunar Festival's Update - A few people on IRC requested a guide to complete the Lunar Festival achievements. I didn't post one because there is already an awesome Elders walkthrough on WoWWiki and it should be more than enough to find the elders you're looking for. The other achievements are fairly easy and just require you to buy/use something from the Lunar Festival in Moonglade or from the NPCs in capital cities.

Official Website update
    The official website has been updated and its layout changed slightly. The size of the right column has been slightly increased and there are now a few ads here. You can also find a handful of quicklinks here to access your account management or the realm status page without going through the menu.

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Tanking raid encounters with one specific class
    Sarth + 3 is probably as close as it gets to one class having an advantage, but it may be too early to even pronounce that a problem. (Source)

[US] Account-Wide Death Knight Creation Update
    Death Knight creation is now available on all eligible realms. Please read the FAQ for more information on death knight creation.

Grizzly Hills and Borean Tundra currently are not available for death knight creation. Character creation is currently locked on Wyrmrest Accord and Winterhoof. (Source)

[US] Realm Performance
    We recently identified and isolated an issue impacting the performance of realms on the Emberstorm and Whirlwind battlegroups. We want to inform players on these realms that this issue has been resolved, and you should expect to see better performance and stability in game. Antonidas, Anub'arak, Blackwater Raiders, Bladefist, Borean Tundra, Cairne, Cenarion Circle, Cenarius, Darrowmere, Drak'Tharon, Drenden, Echo Isles, Farstriders, Fenris, Garrosh, Hydraxis, Hyjal, Korialstrasz, Lightbringer, Maiev, Misha, Mok'Nathal, Moon Guard, Nazgrel, Nordrassil, Quel'dorei, Ravenholdt, Rivendare, Shandris, Shu'halo, Sisters of Elune, The Forgotten Coast, Tortheldrin, Uther, Vashj, Winterhoof, Wyrmrest Accord (Source)

Death Knight (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Killing Machine
    We originally talked about letting the MH and OH both proc but at different rates (Windfury does something like this). Then we became convinced that dual wielding by DKs would probably sitll be good even without the OH procs from Killing Machine. Now it is just main hand procs at a frequency of 5 per minute.

PPM is a statistical average, so you will see a lot of variation unless you test for a long time. But we'll keep an eye on this thread and the talent itself to make sure. (Source)

Hunter (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    MM and BM hunter DPS in 3.0.8
    From my POV it was more like some smart theorycrafters (possibly even on EJ) came up with some numbers and then a lot of people adopted those as fact and started echoing that MM and BM would be uncompetitive. I don't feel that the community has really had enough time with the changes to figure out the nuances of specs that many people had abandoned for a long time. I still see discussions about whether raptors or wasps (or moths!?) provide the most dps.

From what we can tell, SV and MM are pretty close. SV may be slightly higher, but not by hundreds of dps. Affliction and Destro aren't at the same exact number but you still see both in raids (for the time being). MM also brings a really nice group buff (Trueshot Aura) while SV provides Replenishment, and we take those into consideration.

BM is an easier spec to play. We tend to reward specs that are a little tougher to play if played very well with higher dps. Affliction and Mutilate are good examples, though we went overboard with Mutilate's dominance over other specs. If BM was simpler and provided the same or higher dps, then you would see 95% BM hunters (which, no suprise, is exactly what we had). Some players will try SV or MM, decide it's not for them and go back to BM. If they couldn't make SV work, then their dps may be just fine as BM (or else the drop will be so low that they don't care). At issue is how much lower BM can be than MM and SV before it isn't worth spec'ing into. Combat for rogues is too far below Assassination so that you take too big a hit if you choose to opt out of the more demanding Mutilate play style. Make sense?

Again I will offer that for 95% of players out there, your individual skill and gear are going to have more effect than your spec. Just because very good hunters (or spreadsheets) come up with the highest possible dps for Survivial, does not mean that *your* dps will improve as Survival or that you cannot improve your dps as Marks or BM. I know it's a tradition in WoW to adopt cookie-cutter specs, and to some extent we'll never get away from that. But don't absolve yourself of the responsibility for trying to maximize your dps. When the community suddenly shifts, it's because some smart player experimented with a new build and made that work. (Source)

Talent spec disparities
    Okay, I think this is the disconnect. This is exactly what we want - 3 viable specs. We don't want BM to be the noob spec that serious players don't use. We also don't want it to be the spec that every hunter uses, which I agree is where it has been for some time.

My comment was that BM can't be both easier to play and do more dps. We can debate whether or not BM is actually easier to play, but that is a slightly different discussion. Perhaps it is more fair to say that even though skilled BMs can squeeze even more dps out of their attacks, a BM player who did nothing but Steady Shot and use the pet could still do very high dps, which is not what we want.

If BM becomes too unpopular with these changes, if it becomes no longer viable in PvE or PvP, then we will fix it. The problem was that for a long time BM was the only PvE spec and it had increasingly become the leveling and PvP spec too.

I think some of my Ulduar comments have been taken out of context or misunderstood. We are making some changes to hunters. Some of them are pretty cool. We will have to rebalance many of the attacks at that time. For example, we are likely to add additional pet talents that increase dps so that the 4 bonus points from BM 51 will inflate player dps overall. (Source)

Beast Mastery over-nerfed?
    As many of you pointed out, the hunter class does have a lot going on and we don't think everyone is going to be operating near their max potential with all ofthe changes after less than a week of raiding and Arenas turned off half the time. If after that time BM continues to lag behind, we’ll buff it. We just don’t want to do it in such a way that sends every hunter stampeding back to that spec. If that happens, I will have no problem admitting we over-nerfed BM. (Source)

Mage (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Mage Armor increasing DOT effects
    No, seriously, this is a known bug that we will be fixing soon. The irony is we think it was caused by trying to get Strangulate to obey silence-reducing effects. (Source)

Priest (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Developer Q&A
    I just wonder, do the Blizzard devs think that Disc is turning out the way they imagined?
    Yes. I am very happy with it. The designers who worked on Disc did a great job. It was a good PvP spec before but now is also a viable PvE spec, yet with a different healing vibe than Holy.

Are there any mechanics of the tree that might get tweaked soon?
    Yes. Spirit and Penance come to mind. No, they're not nerfs.

I've also heard that some Disc Priests complain that it doesn't scale as well as Holy at extremely high gear levels. Is this an issue that is being looked at, or is it not considered significant?
    There are no extremely high gear levels in the game so it's a little premature to worry about. We do need to make sure Discipline's tools scale with spellpower and other stats as do other healers.

Last and perhaps most importantly, is there any possibility of either getting separate Disc armor sets, or set bonuses/stats that appeal to Holy and Disc equally? Currently, I find the Holy sets to be great but not ideal: I'm aware they were not designed for my specc.
    Bonuses we might do. Sets are unlikely. A big direction for us this time around was to drop fewer unique types of armor, but let players customize them towards their own play style with gems and enchants.

Rogue (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Hunger for Blood
    We think it can be a little annoying to try to keep it up all the time. We have a plan to make it a little more usable and interesting (and buff rogues in PvE at the same time). (Source)

Do you plan to buff the Combat talent tree?
    Yes. (Source)

Assassination and rogue DPS in PvE
    Assassination is doing too much damage relative to other rogues. Rogues as a whole are still too low in PvE and we have plans to bring them up. (Source)

Warlock (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Demonology
    We'd love to see some more players try Demonology in a raid setting. I think it has a stigma from being the PvP spec in BC, but some of our numbers suggest you can do a lot of damage with a Fel Guard. That Immolate Aura can do a lot of damage too if you can keep stuff close to you. (Source)

New Fan Arts
    The official site has been updated with new fan art.

Re: Official site update, Blue posts, Fan Arts

Just wanted to say that the links to the pictures don't work.
    Original link: http://www.htp.net/static.mmo-champi...uary/ss717.jpg
    I removed the http://www.htp.net and just used this:
    static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/january/ss717.jpg

That was going to be my comment as well: links borked. Also Dick.SU, you are a good artist, I really like these images and hope to see more in the future.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Finally we can create DKs on other servers. Reroll ho!

Woops. Links fixed.

Deleted

Neat artwork

Soo assassination is doing too much dmg, but they still wanna buff HfB? Yes it's very hard to keep both SnD and HfB up at the same time.. cmon' pple are't such retared... (or am I wrong?) But nice they wanna buff Combat noone pvp in combat atm so it won't hurt pvp balance (if there is any:P)

I like the last two pictures...
    Very impressive.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

what kind of dots? warlock, priest?

Quote Originally Posted by Solkan
    Soo assassination is doing too much dmg, but they still wanna buff HfB? Yes it's very hard to keep both SnD and HfB up at the same time.. cmon' pple are't such retared... (or am I wrong?) But nice they wanna buff Combat noone pvp in combat atm so it won't hurt pvp balance (if there is any:P)
    they should fix the damn lags first, that would help keeping up snd and hfb pretty much

HOLY

The best 3 fanart-pics ive ever seen o.o

Amazing <3

Assassination is doing too much damage relative to other rogues. Rogues as a whole are still too low in PvE and we have plans to bring them up.
    This just makes me laugh as mutilate is definitely not doing too much damage relative to other specs, combat and hat (even after the bug fix) are able to easily keep up with mutilate.

At the most they're only 400-600 dps behind an equally geared and skilled mutilate rogue, there is nothing wrong with that.

You see the same thing other other pure dps classes such as mages and hunters.

I mean blizzard said towards the end of TBC that they wanted to make assassination a viable raiding spec, well they did and now they want to nerf it when it doesn't need to be.

Hunger for Blood
    We think it can be a little annoying to try to keep it up all the time. We have a plan to make it a little more usable and interesting (and buff rogues in PvE at the same time).
    So they're going to cater to people who can't handle keeping up an ability that they only have to use every 26-29 seconds.

It's in no way annoying, people who think otherwise are just bad.

Yes I know that's a "OMG UR BAD" comment but it's true.

Assassination is doing too much damage relative to other rogues. Rogues as a whole are still too low in PvE and we have plans to bring them up. (Source)
    In another word, Rogues take too much skills to do dps now, we gonna get em back to 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2,...

I don't think they want to nerf assassination as he states that rogue dps overall is too low. It's more like they want to buff the rogue overall and make combat and stealth compatitive too in pve.

I'm going to play my "wait and see" card and then place a card face down.

*a few weeks pass*

You just activated my trap card "I told you so'"!!!

The problem is that combat and sub are already competitive in PvE, I still say inc. assassination nerf and combat/sub buff with an overall buff to rogues so they are on par or within acceptable range of other pure dps classes.

I just look at blizzard as being mentally impaired.

They want to make assassination viable for PvE and when they do so they basically pigeon hole everyone who wants to do optimal dps to go mutilate, it then takes a month or so after the release of WotLK for them to realize that they just made the other two talent tress somewhat redundant for PvE play because the majority of all rogues who take raiding seriously will go mutilate.

Prepare for bold caps..

THEY SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!

They need to just leave well enough alone and let one spec be the better of all three for PvE, plenty of rogues still raid as the other two specs even though mutilate does clearly come out ahead.

Personal choice and an optimal spec > making every spec equal.

hat still outdps mutilate and combat by a fair margin, only difference now with non stacking hat rogues is that u have to use hemorrhage abit more and u do quite alot less evis, but it's still better.

Still not a word about shadowpriests. I'm getting tired of this. All we got with this patch was the ability to enter shadowform while mounted, casting abolish disease while in shadowform and vampiric embrace mana cost removed. Well thanks, 56 less mana is really gonna save my ass out there in world of meleecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by bigamie
    I don't think they want to nerf assassination as he states that rogue dps overall is too low. It's more like they want to buff the rogue overall and make combat and stealth compatitive too in pve.
    yeah thats almost how i read it too

i read it like assass is doing too much compared to the 2 other trees but NOT on the overall scale of rogues, so they will buff all 3 trees, some more than others.

Whether lip service or not, I like the idea of Blizzard upping DPS potential of the more complicated specs.

I love Affliction and played that way most of my WoW career (didn't raid pre-BC, though). I found as I went into T5 content I had to go Destro to be competitive, and while the large crit numbers were nice to see rolling across the screen, it was a very boring spec to play. I'm very happy to see Affliction finally given some DPS love and is now competitive if you are good at your rotations and timing. I don't mind having bad DPS in certain encounters due to the mechanics, that is the variety that makes it all the more dynamic.

Same with my hunter. I've never had the +agi to try Survival, but I played MM most of the time. I loved the variety of shots and weaving the shots in MM. I loved all my "oh crap" buttons. Again, moving into T5 content I found myself lagging further and further behind so I took him BM to stay competitive. It's good to see BM knocked down a peg so MM and Survival hunters are no longer frowned upon by PvE nazis.

I hope they continue their trend of "harder to play = more potential for higher DPS". A far cry from TBC's mash-one-button-to-win design.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw
    Prepare for bold caps..

THEY SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!

They need to just leave well enough alone and let one spec be the better of all three for PvE, plenty of rogues still raid as the other two specs even though mutilate does clearly come out ahead.

Personal choice and an optimal spec > making every spec equal.
    For the "pure" classes there's always the possibility of making one PvP, one easy and one hard spec. Now, the easy and PvP specs might be made so as they are able to pull dps close to the hard one, true, but you get what I mean.
    I do like what's been said to Hunters, though. Easy spec/rotation means lesser rewards.

It's a bit more difficult with the hybridized classes, especially Druids and DKs, where trees themselves may have more than one purpose.