Time for a druid - So which weapons?

Hi there MMO-Champion, I've been reading through the forums for quiet a while and finally decided to register to this wonderful site...

Anyways I'm about to start playing my druid again, currently he is level 30 and specced feral but I must say I'm a bit confused on which weapon I should be using and if there are any good weapons for my level or if the BoA dagger is worth it?
    Ansgar the Insane

Re: Time for a druid - So which weapons?

Well at that level, anything you can weild with stats for str or agi is usually good. Getting the BoA dagger is up to you, but as you get to a higher level (Usually about outland level), you'll start to get feral staffs as quest rewards and from instances, and they are perfect for a feral druid (:

Aha so It would be no waste of me to use my emblems on that BoA dagger as it scales with the level, and then of course switch it out when I get a feral staff from outlands.

Ansgar the Insane

You should get the BoA dagger, vegaspoker is talking about the old system.
    Now you can use not only Feral Staves as good weapons, you can use almost all the weapons!
    So get that daggar ASAP, that will be good for you

Yeh true you can get AP bonuses and stuff from str and agi, but still feral staffs will always be best for a feral druid with the AP bonus given to all forms.

This is ofc only for the higher levels as you don't get many feral staves before 60 or so. I just went with a 2h mace with good stats up until about outland which is where i switched it out for a feral staff for the AP.

But hey that's just me the great thing about wow is you can vary a lot of things about your character including what items you wanna equip

As of patch 3.0.8 or whatever feral staffs are no more... everything has feral attack power on it for a druid but I would not suggest getting a dagger... the reason for that is because the feral attack power is now based on the weopons dps so it would be smarter to get a 2-hander of some sort that has strength, agility, and/or stamina on it.

*Was corrected below*

15+ Year Old Account

**quoted post got corrected**

Even with the new system, the formula is AP=(DPS-55)*14. Which means that NO weapon with less than 56dps will give any AP at all. You need to get at least to 58 to see such a weapon, and it's by going to Outlands. Besides, one hand weapons suck for ferals. You're just setting for sup-par dps to get what, a shitty "held in offhand" item most likely designed for casters?

In short: the dagger, dps wise, sucks for a feral druid. It does and it always will. Before you can see any bonus from the feral AP conversion, you'll be in Outlands wielding Hellreaver. At your level any green "of the tiger" will be better. It's a blatant waste of emblems to pay for that dagger.
    You want a exp bonus, get Shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

only the shoulders give 10% experience

The problem is in getting an offhand with valuable stats to go with your dagger if you take it. There's only one in the game with Feral stats and it's from Strat and by the time you can get it, it'll be beaten by a blue 2 hander anyway. The Feral AP on anything doesn't start to kick in until the weapon has 55 DPS or more, which means outland gear or 60 Epics.

Look at Polearms. We can train them now and Hunter Polearms have most of the stats we need in abundance. A good example is the +16 Agility one from RFK, that's a nice boost for a Kitty with extra crits for extra combo points as well as extra AP in Cat form.

Thanks for the formula, and now I clearly know that I should be going for whatever weapon that have the most useful stats for my DPS until I find that weapon with 55+ DPS.

I'm gonna this is mind, and I'm clearly looking forward to be levelling this druid and its getting even funnier from each level that goes.
    Ansgar the Insane

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ansgar
    Thanks for the formula, and now I clearly know that I should be going for whatever weapon that have the most useful stats for my DPS until I find that weapon with 55+ DPS.

I'm gonna this is mind, and I'm clearly looking forward to be levelling this druid and its getting even funnier from each level that goes.
    Your first best chance for weapons that give a significant Feral AP is Hellfire Ramparts. Both the feral staff and now Hellreaver (polerams for druids, yay) are great weapons. Any of the said two would be a huge increase, around 160FAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Since OP mentioned that his druid is only level 30, he's got a long way to go before outland.

In the meanwhile, until outland, look for items with "of the bandit" or "of the bear" those will be best for a feral druid at that level. This includes armor and weapons. Since you have kitty now and will be changing between kitty and bear a lot, any weapon with strength and stamina would be better (of the bear).

"Of the Bandit" = Outland
    "Of the Monkey"= Vanilla
    Ilvl is like a Bikini. What it shows is interesting, what it hides is crutial!

manual crowd pummeler from gnomer lvl29 weapon I used it till lvl 58 it has great str for feral druids, just never found anything better

pre bc leveling a 2 handed mace is your best option for best stats/dps on the weapon, a dagger will have lower feral ap due to it being a one hander vs a 2 hander of the same level/quallity. (dps of the weapon determons ap and typically 2 handers have slight advantage there)

once you get to bc there are more options includeing the feral staves, but make sure its a feral one and not a caster one as the caster ones will have lower dps thus lower feral ap bonus. there are still some 2 handed maces in the mix and pole arms that are decent for you. hellreaver for instance is a decent weapon if it drops in ramparts instead of the tanking staff that also drops in the same chest after dragon boss.
    warriors get rust, pallys cant hear you in that bubble, death knights are screaming about voices, druids? were trying to get whats left of your face off our claws.