Stricter rules for creating threads on Gen-OT

Currently a lot of posts in Gen-OT are just links or copy pastes from news article with a generic sentence written by the poster after. So their personal input into the subject is minimal and they just copy paste news articles to the point where one poster can have 3-4 threads up in a day about news articles. These threads rarely have a good ending. Either there is no motivation for others to respond to it due to lack of interest, or they're controversial topics that get a lot of responses and then get locked.

If someone really cares about a news article enough to want to spread information about it, they should be able to understand what they're talking about enough to type more than a sentence that just asks for what others think of it. Otherwise it just becomes spam.

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    While I agree that people should put more substance into OPs rather than just linking an article (or copy-pasting it) like their own opinion or insight, I don't see any reason to outright ban these threads as long as they are resulting in discussion. There is a big difference to me between what people should do in order to make their thread more interesting and engaging and what we should force people to do just because we don't like the alternative. The latter seems way too authoritarian to me.

If the discussion itself is awful, we can already evaluate and close those now under the given rules.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

The creation of a thread that gets closed by a mod soon after should always result in an infraction. Now mods just close them and the same guy spams multiple pointless threads without infractions/ban.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

http://www.hitbox.tv/puupi - mythic enhancement shaman raiding stream
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCek...D1GctUQ/videos - kill videos

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The creation of a thread that gets closed by a mod soon after should always result in an infraction. Now mods just close them and the same guy spams multiple pointless threads without infractions/ban.
    so if someone starts a good well thought out thread and it gets derailed and ends up locked because of it the thread poster should also receive an infraction? this would just discourage creating threads altogether.
    say no to draenei. draenei are evil. stop the draenei menace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Truck shiny.
    Truck go vroom-vroom!
    typical draenei logic.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so if someone starts a good well thought out thread and it gets derailed and ends up locked because of it the thread poster should also receive an infraction? this would just discourage creating threads altogether.
    I'm not a mod so idk how it works but I am fairly certain that they read the threads.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    No. I mean if the topic is something that causes the thread to be locked, it should also lead to an infraction.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

http://www.hitbox.tv/puupi - mythic enhancement shaman raiding stream
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCek...D1GctUQ/videos - kill videos

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    No. I mean if the topic is something that causes the thread to be locked, it should also lead to an infraction.
    and what would the criteria be for that? do elaborate. creating a rule that says "all topics which end up locked will result in an infraction" would eventually lead to people intentionally derailing them to get them locked so others they might not like get an infraction.
    even though they are moderators they do not have unlimited time to go through every page to check for infraction worthy posts and who should be infracted that's why there is a report system.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-06-17 at 11:25 PM.
    say no to draenei. draenei are evil. stop the draenei menace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Truck shiny.
    Truck go vroom-vroom!
    typical draenei logic.

Linking an article is a start to a discussion, so long as the article is interesting. While I'm not going to say it's a bad thing to post more than just the article in the OP, often the extra content adds little and is equivalent to any of the ten billion normal responses by other posters, but merged with the OP for no real reason. It just doesn't always add anything to the thread.

I think GEN OT is fine.

There's fun posts that we all try to jump into and shitpost and generally have a great damn time.

Then there's legit posts where we all get into long drawn out arguments over the details.

Working as intended.