1. #1

    whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Im disappointed i rolled priest in hopes of having a decent arena rating knowing there popularity in arena as disc, since WOTLK ive noticed most of the worlds highest ranked teams do not involve a priest in fact most teams of 2k rating + is DK/Healadin even resto shammys are rating higher then most priests.

    Whats happened?

    sry if there is a similar post if so link it to me

  2. #2

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Thw World of Magemelleeburstcraft happend.


  3. #3

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Don't listen to blizz either, resilience does hardy anything. Priests aren't broken in PvP per se, PvP is completely broken. Currently I'm at just under 800 resi and I get zerged down so quickly I can hardly do anything. Being stuck at just over 1600 where I was around 1900 in S3/S4 shows thats it's class > skill. Want to get high ratings, roll a DK/rogue/Pally.


  4. #4

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    6 of the top 10 5v5 teams have a priest (6 / 50 = 12%)
    3 of the top 10 3v3 teams have a priest (3 / 30 = 10%)
    1 of the top 10 2v2 teams have a priest (1 / 20 = 5%)

    Overall 10 / 100 = 10%.

    According to wow-census 9% of level 80 characters are priest.

    So, just looking at that very small section we see that priests are performing better than should be expected from the population size in 3v3 and 5v5 but worse than should be expected from the population size in 2v2.

    Priests are doing pretty ok overall. In fact, priests are overrepresented in the top 100 players by 1% according to this brief study making priest a slightly ezmode class. Your choice has been justified, congrats.

    Numbers > Blanket QQ Statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by eruvatar
    Im disappointed i rolled priest in hopes of having a decent arena rating knowing there popularity in arena as disc, since WOTLK ive noticed most of the worlds highest ranked teams do not involve a priest in fact most teams of 2k rating + is DK/Healadin even resto shammys are rating higher then most priests.

    Whats happened?

    sry if there is a similar post if so link it to me
    What happened is that Healer + DPS combos can no longer faceroll and beat full DPS teams. Since there are not enough healers to go round a situation where a healer is needed in order to compete (as was the case in TBC) is not a balanced situation. In TBC arena all healers were OP. This is actually still the case and healer teams still do better on average than those without.

    Quote Originally Posted by Battêry
    Don't listen to blizz either, resilience does hardy anything. Priests aren't broken in PvP per se, PvP is completely broken. Currently I'm at just under 800 resi and I get zerged down so quickly I can hardly do anything. Being stuck at just over 1600 where I was around 1900 in S3/S4 shows thats it's class > skill. Want to get high ratings, roll a DK/rogue/Pally.
    To be cruel you lost 300 rating because you can no longer /afk and beat the full DPS combos like you did before. Being a priest was a ticket to high ratings in TBC just like being a Paladin (and to a lesser extent DK) is now. Paladin is hugely overrepresented in all brackets, DK is in 2v2, in 3v3 DK is actually just about correlated with the population size and in 5v5 DK is underrepresented. Just being a priest does not convey the advantages it did in TBC and wanting the game changed back to a form that unfairly benefits priests just because that is how it used to be is not viable. In TBC priest was the only class that was always overrepresented in all three arena brackets. Priest was an ezmode class, it isn't anymore so if you depend on the ezmode class to succeed then yes, go reroll paladin now (DK is already on the way out, they only have 2v2 left and that will be fade too as DK's position hinges on big burst, once survivability goes up a bit more their lack of a MS will kick them right back down the ladder again, just wait and see).

    Paladin on the other hand got a very nice buff in the silence diminishing returns change. As holy paladins are the healer that is most vulnerable to silence effects that change benefits them enormously. Expect to see that change rolled back as holy paladins become even more dominant than they already are in the next few weeks.

  5. #5

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    It takes some time to adapt, to learn.

    Priests do fine, tho I still don't know now I or my fury warior partner (don't laugh at the comp plz) can survive a mage + rogue team. We do fine vs dk+pala tho. Not fine as in "we win", but we "sometimes win lol".

    Resi does help, a good disc spec helps, skilling up helps.

    The above is a bit harsh, burst dps teams (melee mainly) do own cloth classes, the burst potential is way to high ATM. But you can learn to "tank" at least 80% of those teams.

    TBH posions own my ass... way more then rogues and feral druids... well, that was a lie... but being the only healer not able to abolish posions suck hard... real hard...

    I would like Blizzard to make abolish disease tick every 2 sec (similar to druids abolish poisons) seeing how easy it is for DK's to spam them, and how absurdly expensive it is to remove them mana wise, hope they do it...

    Also an abolish posion of some kind would be gods-sent... even a self cure spell would be very, very good, similar to the dwarf racial (dwarfs = OP atm).

  6. #6

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by Skulver
    6 of the top 10 5v5 teams have a priest (6 / 50 = 12%)
    3 of the top 10 3v3 teams have a priest (3 / 30 = 10%)
    1 of the top 10 2v2 teams have a priest (1 / 20 = 5%)

    Overall 10 / 100 = 10%.

    According to wow-census 9% of level 80 characters are priest.

    So, just looking at that very small section we see that priests are performing better than should be expected from the population size in 3v3 and 5v5 but worse than should be expected from the population size in 2v2.

    Priests are doing pretty ok overall. In fact, priests are overrepresented in the top 100 players by 1% according to this brief study making priest a slightly ezmode class. Your choice has been justified, congrats.
    The major gap in the numbers you presented are that not all of the classes you menitoned play Arenas. Even if the wow-census holds tru to 9% being priests at level 80, it seems almost impossible to determine what the true numbers that actually play Arena. So to say that priests, or any other class are under/over represented is not an accurate assesment from these numbers.

  7. #7

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by cb73000
    The major gap in the numbers you presented are that not all of the classes you menitoned play Arenas. Even if the wow-census holds tru to 9% being priests at level 80, it seems almost impossible to determine what the true numbers that actually play Arena. So to say that priests, or any other class are under/over represented is not an accurate assesment from these numbers.
    ]

    those numbers will never be in players hand , so according to your statement , its completely irrelevant?
    well give a better suggestion then! before blasting him down

  8. #8

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    I'm currently 20,6k Hp and 745 res, it's not bad.

    But i get bursted down so easily it's a joke. But the biggest problem is my mana regen. I have + spirit on my stuff and barely 105mp5 in combat. While every other caster have better way to regen mana. I also have a shitty mana pool. Don't start about shadowfiend, it's real crap.

    So far i'm also pissed to have rolled a priest. We didn't gain any way to escape melee. If the fear is resisted it's gg.

    Maybe my 2v2 rogue partner is too undergeared right now, we are not being successful. He has 145 and 111. Until we get the fucking dagger from HoS ( on our 14 th run now ) i don't see our team getting better any time soon.

  9. #9

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by bovaja
    ]

    those numbers will never be in players hand , so according to your statement , its completely irrelevant?
    well give a better suggestion then! before blasting him down
    I said exactly what I meant. Do you disagree that his assesment based on these numbers are flawed? I made a number of statements. I don't have a better suggestion, but me not having a suggestion is mutually exclusive from me stating my point about his assesment on the numbers. The fact that the availability of the numbers you're refering to will never be in players hands has nothigng to do with my statement.

    Tell me, how did I blast him down? If someone tells you "2+4=9", and you tell him that his statement is false, are you blasting him down?

  10. #10

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Um im going to be honest....i think priest in arena suck. Which i why i rerolled. I have played a Spriest for almost 2 years and loved it, but later towards the end of BC i started hating playing one for pvp. I tried to play my other 70s but it wasn't just as fun. And then when they made all the buffs the same for wotlk which made my use as a mana battery (and our uniqueness) totally useless. I got fed up. I tried disc which was fun for a bit but didn't want to heal all the time for pvp, so i rerolled a DK and omg I love it alot, top dps and kick ass in arena. I dont care how much people bitch about them i love it, and its my first plate wearing class. I am lvling my priest though but im just going to use it for healing in raids for times when we need extra heals, I dont really care to ever make it my main again though. Again this is just my personal experience, nothing against anyone who enjoys playing a priest.

  11. #11

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by cb73000
    The major gap in the numbers you presented are that not all of the classes you menitoned play Arenas. Even if the wow-census holds tru to 9% being priests at level 80, it seems almost impossible to determine what the true numbers that actually play Arena. So to say that priests, or any other class are under/over represented is not an accurate assesment from these numbers.
    The only classes I specifically mentioned were Priest, DK and Pala all of which play arena a lot. Without any numbers or data to back your theory up your statement has no validity. If you are trying to argue that classes like druid, warrior and rogue who were very powerful in arena up to WotLK suddenly stopped playing and all rerolled priest I don't think that argument holds water.

    Quote Originally Posted by cb73000
    I said exactly what I meant. Do you disagree that his assesment based on these numbers are flawed? I made a number of statements. I don't have a better suggestion, but me not having a suggestion is mutually exclusive from me stating my point about his assesment on the numbers. The fact that the availability of the numbers you're refering to will never be in players hands has nothigng to do with my statement.

    Tell me, how did I blast him down? If someone tells you "2+4=9", and you tell him that his statement is false, are you blasting him down?
    I didn't say "2 + 4 = 9" though. The numbers I used came from a reputable sources and were correctly tallied. At best you could argue that my sample size was small but that is easily countered if you just go and tot up a larger sample size yourself, the data is out there and freely available, just do the work.

    In effect you are the one trying to argue that "2 + 4 = 9". I give numbers, tally them and present the results. You are the one trying to claim that in your opinion the numbers should add up to something.

    Your argument rests on the premise that a relatively high proportion of priests play arena when compared to other classes. Unless you can show this to be true then your entire argument hinges on an unproven premise and is meaningless.

  12. #12

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by Skulver
    The only classes I specifically mentioned were Priest, DK and Pala all of which play arena a lot. Without any numbers or data to back your theory up your statement has no validity. If you are trying to argue that classes like druid, warrior and rogue who were very powerful in arena up to WotLK suddenly stopped playing and all rerolled priest I don't think that argument holds water.
    I'm not even sure you're understanding what I'm saying here. I'm saying your numbers are reflecting 2 different things. The number of classes that you referenced, doesn't really matter, so let's just take priests. You stated that of total characters @ 80, 9% are priest. But let's say only 50% of them actually play arena (50% isn't the actual percentage, this is for illustration), then the conclusion that priests are under/over represented at the different Arena brackets are off. I can say with 100% confidence that not all of priests at 80 play arenas.

    I have no theory of my own. I've never claimed anything in terms of numbers, other than the conclusion drawn by you is flawed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Skulver
    I didn't say "2 + 4 = 9" though. The numbers I used came from a reputable sources and were correctly tallied. At best you could argue that my sample size was small but that is easily countered if you just go and tot up a larger sample size yourself, the data is out there and freely available, just do the work.
    Never said you did. I was making an rushed analogy on the fly which didn't work. Again, I'm not disputing your numbers, only your conclusion. The sample size is irrelevant.


  13. #13

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    Quote Originally Posted by cb73000
    I'm not even sure you're understanding what I'm saying here. I'm saying your numbers are reflecting 2 different things. The number of classes that you referenced, doesn't really matter, so let's just take priests. You stated that of total characters @ 80, 9% are priest. But let's say only 50% of them actually play arena (50% isn't the actual percentage, this is for illustration), then the conclusion that priests are under/over represented at the different Arena brackets are off. I can say with 100% confidence that not all of priests at 80 play arenas.
    I see what you are getting at but I doubt it holds. Suppose only 50% of priests do arena, unless over 50% of the players in the other classes do arena then that doesn't make any difference. If it is a general case where 50% of players do arena then the 9% priest figure still reflects the proportion of lvl 80 priests in arena relative to other classes.

    I am sure there is some variance between classes but I would be imagine it is relatively small overall. To take the 50% priest range as an example I would be very surprised if any of the other classes were outside the 40-60% range for activity. It would be interesting to have that data but without numbers it is just as valid to theorise that priests are less likely to play arena as it is to theorise that priests are more likely to do arena. I am sure we could make great arguments for why either would be true. In this case however the null hypothesis is that priests are no more or less likely to play arena than any other class.

    Even if they are, it would want to be a fairly significantly large difference to really matter, even if for example priests were 20% more likely to play arena than other players then it would just move priest from being marginally overrepresented to being slightly less marginally overrepresented, in either case the margins would not be significant enough to justify a claim that priests were unfairly weak in arenas.

    Either way I do think the other point stands that DPS combos are at least competitive now in a way they certainly were not in TBC. If you look at ratings overall teams with healers still tend to do better than teams without healers. The game has to be this way simply because there are not enough healers for every 2v2 and 3v3 team to have a healer. This change is of course going to make pretty much all teams with healers play at a lower rating now than they were in TBC due to the fact that they will sometimes lose versus full DPS combos that would have been quite trivial to beat in TBC. There is a lot of healer QQ on the various forums and some of it is justified but healers are still very strong in arena and it is an appropriate and valid change to boost DPS combos to the point that they can compete and the relative difficulty this makes healer teams feel they are having now is the result of a fix and not an error.

  14. #14

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    If u roll a priest to get high rating then please go home
    u might aswell roll a DK or a rogue then... or a mage or a pala for that matter
    Just go for the OPness, cause we all know thats what ur looking for right?
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

  15. #15

    Re: whats happening to priests in Arena??

    The only broken tree right now, always PvP-wise, is the shadow tree. If you bothered to check the highest rated arena teams, you'd realize that discipline/holy are just fine. Yes, healadins have become the best healer it seems. Plate+BoP+bubble and so on. But shammies? No, whoever shammy makes it up there, he/she either had tremenduous luck or knows his/her class better than the way to the bathroom. It's not as easy to get up there anymore as a priest, I'll give you that. But try being shadow for a week in arena ;D Shadows have become almost extinct and that with a good reason. The survivability. Shadows will become useful again once that's fixed, not sooner. There are plenty of disc priests out there above 1900. Find me a shadow one :P

    PS: ....teh pain of reaching 1800 as shadow is unbearable...Bliz halp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •