1. #1

    Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Hello MMO-Champion/Mage's/Everyone else.

    I have an 80 Warlock but i really want to try re-rolling a mage.
    Any tips?

    Thanks, Dartaris of Perenolde.

  2. #2

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    spec frost, and ae everything down.

  3. #3

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grusalugg
    buy lots of soda
    Any particular reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    spec frost, and ae everything down.
    Ok. Can do.

  4. #4

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grusalugg
    buy lots of beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    spec frost, and ae everything down.
    and then when you hit 80 go spec for lol barrage and one shot people in bgs

  5. #5

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    frost > arc dude arc mages are 15 second mages.

    frost is the pvp spec to play browski, as far as pve, i hear a good frost build pwns too. i like frost ; )

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    frost > arc dude arc mages are 15 second mages.

    frost is the pvp spec to play browski, as far as pve, i hear a good frost build pwns too. i like frost ; )
    Luckily, frost is dead as the PvP specc and not as good as arcane. Even more lucky is that a lot of mages still play frost so theyre easy pray for me 8)

    Arcane mages do fine without arcane power too, just as frost did fine without icy veins. It's just a burst on demand and doesn't win or lose you fights. In fact, arcane is a lot less cooldown dependant than frost(just think of water ele, IV, IB). It's fine that you like frost but dont post stupid stuff like that out of bias >
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  7. #7

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Luckily, frost is dead as the PvP specc and not as good as arcane. Even more lucky is that a lot of mages still play frost so theyre easy pray for me 8)

    Arcane mages do fine without arcane power too, just as frost did fine without icy veins. It's just a burst on demand and doesn't win or lose you fights. In fact, arcane is a lot less cooldown dependant than frost(just think of water ele, IV, IB). It's fine that you like frost but dont post stupid stuff like that out of bias >
    please tell me wat's the highest rating u achieved in WoTLK? cuz if u say that frost is easy pray for arcane then u play only bgs, where u meet scrubs or ur highest rating was 1600, seriously if frost mage knows how to play he'll beat arcane and frost isn't cooldown dependant, u can pwn without 1 cooldown up if u know how to play, cooldowns are in this spec mainly for increased burst, some more survivablity, check out arenajunkies.com and ask any gladiator mage if he's beaten by arcane

  8. #8

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    sigh.... stay at your WL. winning team joiner....

  9. #9

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Luckily, frost is dead as the PvP specc and not as good as arcane. Even more lucky is that a lot of mages still play frost so theyre easy pray for me 8)

    Arcane mages do fine without arcane power too, just as frost did fine without icy veins. It's just a burst on demand and doesn't win or lose you fights. In fact, arcane is a lot less cooldown dependant than frost(just think of water ele, IV, IB). It's fine that you like frost but dont post stupid stuff like that out of bias >
    Well if your this guy you only need 2 spells on your bar Arcane barrage and a macro that has AP POM AB

    BUT if you want to be a good mage learn your class keybind everything learn how to multitask CC Survive and Do Dps how to postion your self and when to use what spells at what time not to mention mana magement .... and thats only Pvp lol if you want to lvl fast i suggest you Go to warcraftmovies.com and you watch in frost we trust then go to this link

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.ph...;topicseen#new

    Good luck

  10. #10

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    as far as pve, i hear a good frost build pwns too. i like frost ; )
    Who the hell have you been listening to?

  11. #11

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Soo, it looks like everyone on this thread is only concerned with pvp... For raids (if that is what you want to do) then you have about 3 good options for great dps. You have arcane (57/3/11) a relatively new build to hit the scene and is putting up really good numbers, you also have good ole' frostfire spec (0/53/18) which has been putting up very nice numbers since wrath hit. Lastly you have arcane/fire, (18/53/0) which is, again, a very high dps spec, although you sacrifice 3% hit for it. My advice is to go and read a little bit on elitistjerks.com or download the program called rawr (gear optimizer) find what you like to do, dont listen to all these people who just want to hear themselves talk. Sorry, but i dont have any advice for pvp, i am a dedicated raider myself.

  12. #12

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    to Morgan77
    I strongly suggest u to roll mage. And not bcos it is op or something, but cos it is very interesting class to play and u will enjoy playing it.

    And to mages above that say how frost>arcane or arcane>frost
    Ppl, u don't underestimate any of those spec, they both have their good things and bad things. I would say that frost is much, much more viable to high raited arena mach's. But arcane is good to if played well. Arcane is not just about spamming arcane barage. It is much more. I agree that skill cap is a lot higher for frost than arcane. That's why most pro mages prefer Frost. To be honest i play Arcane now, cos i go to BG-s and u will agree that arcane mage and muti rogue are best two class/spec in game for WSG. But for arena, frost ofc.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmane&n=Darkk%C3%AEller
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=Darkkillerrs

  13. #13

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by forneus
    lol pretty much mage pwns lock now so I have no idea why it's
    1) nerfed version of lock
    2) don't compare classes nub :P
    This is true until you look at raid dps charts. In PvP warlocks are broken right now and mages are in need of a nerf. Once blizzard has done both warlocks will laugh at mages again. Mages should really enjoy 3.1 for this reason.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  14. #14

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Luckily, frost is dead as the PvP specc and not as good as arcane. Even more lucky is that a lot of mages still play frost so theyre easy pray for me 8)

    Arcane mages do fine without arcane power too, just as frost did fine without icy veins. It's just a burst on demand and doesn't win or lose you fights. In fact, arcane is a lot less cooldown dependant than frost(just think of water ele, IV, IB). It's fine that you like frost but dont post stupid stuff like that out of bias >
    than i'm also biased for liking chocolate milk instead of strawberry?

    Frost has always been > arc, and it still is, just because it has some 1.5s 1 button high burst potential doesn't make it better than frost.

    like I said, their 15second mage's, if your AP is dispelled, than your pretty much worthless in a pvp environment, because you will be locked down, and killed. Frost mages are harder to kill, harder to play, but is the better spec.

    Arc is just the bg spec to see big numbers, like it always has been.


  15. #15

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    This is true until you look at raid dps charts. In PvP warlocks are broken right now and mages are in need of a nerf. Once blizzard has done both warlocks will laugh at mages again. Mages should really enjoy 3.1 for this reason.
    I fail to see the reason why locks should be on top of mages in both pve and pvp.... this seems like a very bias reply. Although i do agree mages need a nerf in pvp, we are right where we should be in pve.

  16. #16

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Askali
    Who the hell have you been listening to?
    Frost is actually amazing for heroics and ten mans if that is what you are going to be aiming for, the extra control you have really shines on adds.

    Have you considered what race you are going to be?

    For PVE:
    Blood Elf has the resistance racial, and extra mana regeneration through Arcane Torrent. The Enchanting is like all profession bonuses, not really a huge gain but nice to have.
    Troll have their racial, a nice little DPS boost. And extra damage against beasts!
    Undead have quite nice casting animations, and WoTF. Cannibalize is not as useful since you can simply conjure food.

    For PVP:
    Blood Elf has the silence and that handy resistance to all magic, although now it can be overcome with spell hit.
    Trolls have the reduced snare duration, handy for warriors, and their racial at low health can really give you some burst with Icy Veins.
    Undead have WoTF, always a nice ace in the hole, and especially with the DR on fear and Mage Armour at higher levels. Also, Cannibalize can be used in combat, so it just might save your life.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

  17. #17

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    This is true until you look at raid dps charts. In PvP warlocks are broken right now and mages are in need of a nerf. Once blizzard has done both warlocks will laugh at mages again. Mages should really enjoy 3.1 for this reason.
    hahaha u just can't tolerate that tbc times are past even if arcane mages will get nerf for pvp, I rly don't care cuz frost is the real cookie cutter, against locks - buffing with mage armor is -50% on dots, nothing will help u here


    to asnwer darkkiller, the thing is that when u quest/lvl u often face meet with challenges like 3-4 mobs respawning near ya or adds being spawned by mini boss or simply rogue jumping on u when u've got 2 mobs on u and I said frost cause u won't have any problems to face with these issues, while in arcane its pretty hard to survive

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosgaurdian
    than i'm also biased for liking chocolate milk instead of strawberry?

    Frost has always been > arc, and it still is, just because it has some 1.5s 1 button high burst potential doesn't make it better than frost.

    like I said, their 15second mage's, if your AP is dispelled, than your pretty much worthless in a pvp environment, because you will be locked down, and killed. Frost mages are harder to kill, harder to play, but is the better spec.

    Arc is just the bg spec to see big numbers, like it always has been.

    Thats just your opinion. Even before Wrath arcane mages used to beat frost 1v1 and frost only had a chance with using water elemental (which is a cooldown, surprise, surprise). Although I've always hated frost, I admit frost was better before in the arenas at least but I did manage to get past 1800 rating as arcane/fire mage and resto shaman in s4 which isn't exactly a good combo on Misery-EU.

    AS for now, no, AP isn't needed at all and arcane provides great survivability and can't be locked down at all if played right. Equally skilled and geared frostmage will never win against an arcane mage 1v1 now and arcane has become a very good PvP specc in arenas and against other classes too.

    You're clearly clueless if you say arcane is about crits. Frost is about crits. Arcane only gets 175% crits so it's more about spelldamage and haste which aren't midigated with resi at all. You also cannot be locked down at all since you always have a choice of using only instants and still doing great damage.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  19. #19

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    Quote Originally Posted by forneus
    hahaha u just can't tolerate that tbc times are past even if arcane mages will get nerf for pvp, I rly don't care cuz frost is the real cookie cutter, against locks - buffing with mage armor is -50% on dots, nothing will help u here


    to asnwer darkkiller, the thing is that when u quest/lvl u often face meet with challenges like 3-4 mobs respawning near ya or adds being spawned by mini boss or simply rogue jumping on u when u've got 2 mobs on u and I said frost cause u won't have any problems to face with these issues, while in arcane its pretty hard to survive
    Dude i wasn't talking about lvling at all. Didn't u read that i said to mages who are comparing arcane and frost mages. It was for lvl 80 PvP. Ofc for lvling he will take frost. It is best lvling spec. Uses less mana to kill a moob then fire or arcane, and give it good ability to solo do 3 man q.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmane&n=Darkk%C3%AEller
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=Darkkillerrs

  20. #20

    Re: Tips for re-rolling a mage.

    OK Darth, get ready to play one of the most fun and rewarding classes in the game.

    Be warned, much of your lower level leveling experience will be very unfun, especially compared to a warlock.

    First thing's first, mages are nothing like warlocks. You have less survivability, and will need to get very friendly with your frost nova. Speccing frost is a very good idea, and before long you'll get used to the insanely large ammount of slows and crits that a frost build will get.

    Basically, until you get frost lance grinding is fairly boring. Frostbolt until dead with a frost nova thrown in if your hp is not higher than your mana, then back out and frostbolt some more. Use Fire Blast on Cooldown, but Don't pull with it.

    After you get Frost Lance your life gets considerabely easier and you can plough through mobs super fast. Between ranged freeze procs being reasonabely common, frost nova, and water elemental freeze, every single mob you should be able to freeze him in place before he gets up in your face smacking you. Then just frostbolt and, while it is casting spam ice lance.

    Some people advocate aoe grinding, however I would disagree as the leveling changes make questing so much faster than this now.

    In summary, don't play like a warlock. Get very used to direct damage and not being able to take many hits at all. You'll learn kiting and other techniques very, very fast, don't worry. And have fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •