Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: shadowpriest rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Gahijnu
    Strafing isn't really necessary as I see it. Not for a normal mob anyway as casting VT and just backing away is enough for VE. And btw, casting PW:S (as you mentioned) is just a BIG waste of mana. The mob should be dead around when he gets to you. If you get hit once or twice and take some damage, that damage will be healed to full before the next mob gets to you from that targets VE.

I should add that after I have casted MB and Mind Flayed the target I usually finish it off with a SW if the target has less health than what a non-crit SW:P does. Maybe not necessary but it feels good!
    That's my point... I'm moving onto the next target some time before the first one is dead, and letting VT and SW:P kill it. That takes a few seconds. I use PW:S to keep my Inner Fire charges for the extra spellpower, with Replenishment going non-stop and consistent Spirit Tap/Imp. ST, I don't have mana problems keeping it up. If I'm single targeting a mob down, PW:S is nearly useless, they don't hit me enough. But I kill packs. Strafing instead of backing helps me get to the next mob faster and minimize the amount of time I'm getting hit by mobs that are dying to DoTs. Also, I don't even have to cast VE, since my shield is rarely eaten through.

Quote Originally Posted by atf
    1. Find pack
    2. Fully unload on 1 mob to get stacks of shadow weave (VT, DP, MB, MF)
    3. Next mob VT and SWP
    4. Next mob VT and SWP
    5. Next mob VT and SWP
    6. Next mob VT and SWP
    7. PWS or Fear if the mobs are close enough (they usually are)
    8. Profit
    Someone didn't get the memo re Mind Sear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillbro

Lot easier to just DoT them to death than bothering to get them all within 10 yards of eachother and Mind Sear a few times. Probably more mana efficient too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    Lot easier to just DoT them to death than bothering to get them all within 10 yards of eachother and Mind Sear a few times. Probably more mana efficient too.
    are we talking about farming level 70 non-elites for netherweave for the AH or something more significant that requires a tank/group/raid...

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    Mind Sear is the most efficient spell, both mana and damage wise, to kill more than four or more targets. (or was it more than four, I forgot).

Also, avoid using shield if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    It's so hard to say.

Atm. I just put up VT and Mind Flays, since it take less than two flays to kill a target. The power of having lame good gear.

But we were talking about a leveling rotation, hence why VE is always nessary, getting HP back means you can avoid using PW:S.

PW:S is such a extreme mana dump, it sucks you can't downrank it anymore.
    I can't belive you actually suggested to use PW:S.

With a proper spec (read: Improved VE, and Improved Shadowform), PW:S is something that belong to the past (where it could be properly downranked to avoid pushback.)
    PW:S will dump your mana lvling... but i was commenting to how you were grinding mobs at lvl 80... if I PW:S and SW:P 3 mobs and MS them to dead I will proc ST and be next to full mana the next time I wanna pull and even if im not i degrade mana so slow that casting dispersion every CD will keep me at infinite mana.

There is no right or wrong, or better for that matter, casting sequence when grinding mobs.

All of the above are excellent strategies for the right situation, but there are too many variables in mob grinding, like for example is there a mixture of caster and mele NPC's in the makeup of the mobs you are grinding? Are they tightly packed, or loosely spaced? All of these can affect the relative value of any of the above methods.

We can only suggest different strategies that work in certain situations, it is for the OP to be able to take the information and use it effectively.

Experiment with how you are killing mobs, do not become structured and rigid in your thinking. Remember if you are not exploring the limits of your character, you will never know them, be adventurous! Dieing occasionally on the way to exploring the full potential of your character is half the fun of it.

While leveling I tried to do two mobs at once, the first I would do VT -> SW:P -> DP -> VE then on second VT -> SW:P -> MB -> MF and maybe one more MF, both targets died pretty much simultaneously then I would rinse and repeat. Questing with rested XP I got around 500k XP/hr. I dunno if it's the absolute fastest but it certainly worked for me.
    Ephemera - Grievance - Thrall [H]
    Sybilfawlty - We Have Cookies - Stormrage [A]

In order to apply SW:P with 5 stacks of Shadow Weaving:

VT->DP->MF->MB->SW-->SW:P. Then keep MB and SW on CD with MF as a filler. Re-apply VT and DP when they run off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pondscum
    There is no right or wrong, or better for that matter, casting sequence when grinding mobs.

All of the above are excellent strategies for the right situation, but there are too many variables in mob grinding, like for example is there a mixture of caster and mele NPC's in the makeup of the mobs you are grinding? Are they tightly packed, or loosely spaced? All of these can affect the relative value of any of the above methods.

We can only suggest different strategies that work in certain situations, it is for the OP to be able to take the information and use it effectively.

Experiment with how you are killing mobs, do not become structured and rigid in your thinking. Remember if you are not exploring the limits of your character, you will never know them, be adventurous! Dieing occasionally on the way to exploring the full potential of your character is half the fun of it.

I have to agree with Pondscum. Nothing is more fun than doing something that most ppl in your guild says is hard as hell, but when im just going from 1 to an another im usualy doing VT Deavouring Plague and SW:P then at next one I'l do VT Mind Blast and Mind Flay the rest then I repeat step number one but I might change Deavouring plague with Mind Blast depending on cooldowns
    Behind every great man there is a surprised lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillbro

Someone failed to read OP is lv 71.