Shall I continue?

I started on a lock the other day. I have always played melee classes and I felt that some squish halfgirl class could be a fun change.

But reading up abit, it seems that mostly locks look at "curseduration- meters" when doing raidcontent. So you people who have some real experience;

Please throw in some bones on the ups and downs of playing a lock.
    For further references;
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kazzak&n=Meathammer

Re: Shall I continue?

Well, what do you consider an "up" but skilled locks top the meters in high end raiding, but from what i can see have been hit with the nerf bat in pvp. For raids, affliction rotations are quite complex and due to the nature of your dot times, a timer mod is a must for maximizing your dps. Much better from the days of shadowbolt/faceroll spamming.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Meathammer
    But reading up abit, it seems that mostly locks look at "curseduration- meters" when doing raidcontent. So you people who have some real experience;
    Affliction is the only spec that really needs such. Destruction and demonology do just fine without.

Please throw in some bones on the ups and downs of playing a lock.
    I don't really have any such bones to throw. I find it a fun class to play, but then again, I like almost every class except rogues and hunters

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    Affliction is the only spec that really needs such. Destruction and demonology do just fine without.

I don't really have any such bones to throw. I find it a fun class to play, but then again, I like almost every class except rogues and hunters
    funny, I have Rogue, Warr and Hunter. So then...
    For further references;
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kazzak&n=Meathammer

Imho affliction is the most boring specc for raids.. you are indeed a DOT-timewatchter...

now, nothing wrong with that.. but i like to have a BIG demon next to me, or use big nasty evil spells to do big damage (huge numbers)... When i PVE, i go therefor in Destruction build.. its just as viable as affliction.. Demonology is a bit less dps-ish, but also fun.. i used a 0/41/20) to level from 70 - 80, so gives you a good sense on how to play with a demon in raids...

warlocks have 3 different playing styles, so be careful when reading forums

also about PVP.. lots of whines, and some are true, but a LOT is just B/S

seems like people dont understand that seduce --> shadowbolt + fear --> shadowbolt, shadowfury (another stunn) + shadowbolt + shadow&flame is a LOT of damage, which can be cast in a 10 second period, where the enemy gets a seduce, a fear and a stun on his head....

for arena its completely different ofc..

the point is.... be careful with what you read on the forums.. lots of people dont want to take the effort to adept to class changes
    thread: Smoke Grenade? I mean srsly?
    I'd also like a flashbang and then it would be just like Counter Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by arnorian
    Well, what do you consider an "up" but skilled locks top the meters in high end raiding, but from what i can see have been hit with the nerf bat in pvp. For raids, affliction rotations are quite complex and due to the nature of your dot times, a timer mod is a must for maximizing your dps. Much better from the days of shadowbolt/faceroll spamming.
    From what I can see when we're raiding the locks is not topping the DPS-meters. Hunters, Mages, Death Knights and Feral Druids tops it with us. And funny enough, the Druid is the one topping it most of the time.

geared affi lock with good rotation can be top 3 all time

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshiftr
    From what I can see when we're raiding the locks is not topping the DPS-meters. Hunters, Mages, Death Knights and Feral Druids tops it with us. And funny enough, the Druid is the one topping it most of the time.
    you seemed to have missed the part about skilled locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

15+ Year Old Account

Imho affliction is the most boring specc for raids.. you are indeed a DOT-timewatchter...
    That's not true. It might feel like that at first, did for me as well but if you invest a month in it you got no problem watching the fight, stay out of shit on the floor, manage a pet etc etc.

You will start to get used to when to throw an eye on the timers and when to watch other stuff.
    What I'm saying is that ofc you watch the timers, much more than any other class/spec in the game but that it after a few weeks feel kinda natural and it's not any problem by then

I would say affliction is the most fun spec just cos it's more demanding. Comming from SBspam - affliction is heaven
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

you need a dot watcher for all the specs to be good.....

if your asking about damage all i see is this:

fury war/dk own meters 6k~

mage owns meters 5.8k~ (aka im a stupid mage with under 25% talent that helps me go from 7th to top dps at end)
    afflic ties and or beats mage depending if you ever mess up rotation or mage gets good crits etc

i say roll a healer druid/priest and find a guild nobody needs dps they need healers :P

ps i do 5.5k dps as destro if that makes any differance

All warlock specs atm can top the meter based on gear and skill. If you aren't able to maybe you should play something even easier...
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

UPS:

Life Tap: This sets us apart and means you will never be OOM and always DPS'ing.
    High Damage: We do high damage in 25 man raids
    Easy Grind: We one of the easiest classes to grind with and kill PvE stuff with

DOWNS:

PvP: We are one of the worst surviving classes at PVP at the moment
    Pets: Do not seem as effecient at surviving as Hunters Pets
    Trees: Demo Tree seems pretty flaud at the moment leave 2 viable options for PvE
    Bugs: We have a few bugs going on at the moment - Summoning etc.

I re-rolled a lock for the expansion and im pretty happy with it. Were not perfect at everything but then again name a class other than the Paladin that is

15+ Year Old Account

25 man Naxx my guild dps list.

Warlock
    Hunter
    Warlock
    Warlock
    Hunter
    Dk
    Mage
    So on and so on

Theres no probs with locks,just lazy sods not playing to their potential.

Rim..........mage btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Prideaux
    I re-rolled a lock for the expansion and im pretty happy with it. Were not perfect at everything but then again name a class other than the Paladin that is
    Mage.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

We can't bubble + heal ourselves now can we?

Quote Originally Posted by k0102
    At the start this is certainly true, but after a while provided you aren't a total retard you'll start to develop a natural rhythm with your DoTs and begin to get a general feel for when you're DoTs need to be cast so you'll only need to glance at the timers occasionally in order to ensure you aren't clipping anything and get your timed casts off just as the final tick goes off.

for an affli lock the biggest problem with rotations and maximizing dps is dot clipping.
    im sure there are some ports on the lock forum but ill give a little example.

say you cast corruption and it ticks every 3 seconds for 18 seconds...that means it actually deal damage on second 3, 6, 9...18
    if you recast corruption too soons...say at second 17...you just dot clipped and will have a total of 5 seconds where corruption does no damage at all.
    some people cared enough to see how much of a dps loss this is and it is substantial even though it seems small.

so until blizzard makes it that you can refresh a dot without dot clipping...im rollin' demo with my felguard whose name sounds russian

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshiftr
    WELL PLAYED (note the emphasis) feral druids can top the single damage meters quite easily. They have to be specced cat, geared correctly, and have a person with a brain playing them, but it is completely doable. The thing with feral druids is that they are (arguably) one of the only dps classes that have 2 separate rotations that have to blend perfectly in order to get the top dps. If played well the feral druid will actually do more single target dps than most boomkin.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    WELL PLAYED (note the emphasis) feral druids can top the single damage meters quite easily. They have to be specced cat, geared correctly, and have a person with a brain playing them, but it is completely doable. The thing with feral druids is that they are (arguably) one of the only dps classes that have 2 separate rotations that have to blend perfectly in order to get the top dps. If played well the feral druid will actually do more single target dps than most boomkin.
    So if you play a feral druid really well you'll beat most boomkin in dps? So some boomkin still beat a well-played feral druid? Probably a well-played boomkin? Sounds like boomkin is the better spec then, right?